Author Topic: Stephen Strasburg Has Been Shut Down  (Read 9594 times)

Offline UMDNats

Re: Stephen Strasburg Has Been Shut Down
« Reply #100: September 09, 2012, 12:40:27 AM »
I'd glad Strasburg is pissed off. I wouldn't want a pitcher who just accepts this and moves on.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #101: September 09, 2012, 02:40:51 AM »
I'd glad Strasburg is pissed off. I wouldn't want a pitcher who just accepts this and moves on.

It's obvious this would be his reaction, though. I feel like this outcome could be seen back in the offseason/ST when we heard about the innings limit. It's being reported like its a shocking news story that no one knew about. We knew it would come to this. It sucks but we'll move on. We've had about 6-7 months to move on from it. He pitched a hell of a year and he was one of the main pieces of the puzzle towards being the best team in the majors. While I still don't agree with the decision (I'm fine for the innings limit but that's a different story) I don't care for all the drama. He should be pissed. But it's more of a "dammit why did I have to have TJ surgery" pissed rather than "freak you Davey and co."

Offline GSW

« Reply #102: September 09, 2012, 07:21:43 AM »
The D.C. Sports CRY !!!!   "WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR"

"dammit why did I have to have TJ surgery" pissed rather than "freak you Davey and co."

NOT Davey..... It's RIZZO and "It's WHY did they start me in April??? they new we had a shot for a WILD CARD??????????"

He should tell them Pitch me or TRADE ME !!!!!!!!

Well... on to the next sport.......  FOOTBALL at 1:00 today  lets see what Bob2d2 can do?   :roll:

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #103: September 09, 2012, 08:04:13 AM »
You aren't actually saving workload in this scenario, because he has to throw bullpens anyway. It's not like pitchers sit idle between starts. It also doesn't make sense, as Terp pointed out, because you're limiting his innings while getting him used to an MLB schedule.

Revisionist science, they tried this with JZ last year and he didn't pitch well after breaks, but now suddenly skipped starts count against the total for Stras. The nice thing about the absence of true medical studies is that phantom guidelines can be used to justify Rizzo's folly with breathless self righteousness.

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #104: September 09, 2012, 08:28:13 AM »
Meh I'm over the whole debacle, I knew it was coming and from the start I've agreed with the shutdown because that's what the advice was from the docs and JZ has been successful 2 years removed from the surgery.

I'm shattered stras won't be on the hill for us in October, but I've had plenty of time to accept it and move on, and that's what I am doing

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #105: September 09, 2012, 09:37:22 AM »
The D.C. Sports CRY !!!!   "WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR"

"dammit why did I have to have TJ surgery" pissed rather than "freak you Davey and co."

NOT Davey..... It's RIZZO and "It's WHY did they start me in April??? they new we had a shot for a WILD CARD??????????"

He should tell them Pitch me or TRADE ME !!!!!!!!

Well... on to the next sport.......  FOOTBALL at 1:00 today  lets see what Bob2d2 can do?   :roll:

what?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #108: September 09, 2012, 10:40:05 AM »
I knew Strasburg wasn't going to be happy about it and I don't blame him, but reading his comments make me wonder if this might result in some kind of lingering grudge when contract negotiation time rolls around in a few years. I'd hope that if he comes back next year and pitches even better then all would be forgiven, but I also know better than to put too much stock in hope.

I've thought for a couple of weeks that he was looking fatigued and could have been shut down even sooner, although the timing worked well in relation to the AAA season in Syracuse.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #109: September 09, 2012, 11:24:45 AM »
I wonder why there's not thought of using him from the pen for the playoffs. An inning here and there when you have an umpire behind the plate that understands that yes, really, that curveball *does* drop into the strike zone, and he feels like he's part of the team, and the team benefits from his abilities.

Seems like win/win.

Offline DPMOmaha

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #111: September 09, 2012, 12:21:20 PM »
I would bet money on that being what actually happens. 

I wonder why there's not thought of using him from the pen for the playoffs. An inning here and there when you have an umpire behind the plate that understands that yes, really, that curveball *does* drop into the strike zone, and he feels like he's part of the team, and the team benefits from his abilities.

Seems like win/win.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #112: September 09, 2012, 09:19:33 PM »

Seems like win/win.

he's done.  They aren't going to put him on the 25 man for the playoffs.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #113: September 09, 2012, 09:48:07 PM »
Revisionist science, they tried this with JZ last year and he didn't pitch well after breaks, but now suddenly skipped starts count against the total for Stras. The nice thing about the absence of true medical studies is that phantom guidelines can be used to justify Rizzo's folly with breathless self righteousness.

My opinion about pitcher workloads is my opinion regardless what they do with Strasburg or did with Zimmermann. Skipping starts doesn't make sense if you are genuinely trying to limit his workload. Either protect your asset or go all-in and decide let him pitch through the WS, I don't give a crap.

But if you claim you're trying to protect his arm, you should do it the right way. That's why I don't think it's a good idea to skip starts just for the sake of extending him. For the record, I thought it was idiotic that they let him throw after that hour long rain delay -- either follow the book on protecting the arm or don't.

There aren't a lack of medical studies about this, they are just angled toward youth pitchers because they are done by non-profit organizations like ASMI.

But right, I guess I'm just defending Rizzo :roll:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #116: September 09, 2012, 11:10:25 PM »
So, all of the suggestions and scenarios to skip starts, start his season in May, use him in the 'pen, etc, are designed to make Starsburg start through the end of the season. Right?

So, what's the frigging difference if Lannan makes Strasburg's starts in September, April, or once a month?

Hey National Media, maybe if the Barves started the season with Medlen in the rotation, and not in the 'pen, we'd be chasing them and not the other way around!

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #117: September 09, 2012, 11:22:02 PM »
The talk was about 160 innings and Rizzo came out to deny that was the case. And when all was said and done all they did was to come out with a bullcrap excuse for shutting him down exactly as it was suspected.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #118: September 09, 2012, 11:54:14 PM »
So damn happy this storyline is now in the past.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #119: September 10, 2012, 12:10:30 AM »
It's just starting.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #120: September 10, 2012, 12:14:36 AM »
It's just starting.
I know you and GMUNat will be  :rant: :bang: :devil: for a while, but I think most posters on this forum and the more respected DC media will be happy it's behind the Nats and look at it as a bad break more than anything else.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #121: September 10, 2012, 12:15:36 AM »
I know you and GMUNat will be  :rant: :bang: :devil: for a while, but I think most posters on this forum and the more respected DC media will be happy it's behind the Nats and look at it as a bad break more than anything else.

Well, I guess we'll just have to see how it plays out.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #122: September 10, 2012, 06:25:07 AM »
Waaaaay too much angst here. It's only baseball needledicks.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #123: September 10, 2012, 08:02:04 AM »
So damn happy this storyline is now in the past.

Yep. By the time playoffs start it will be old news. Sure, they will bring it up every once in a while but the discussion is basically over.

Of course, unless the Nats wins the WS this year the naysayers will never let it go. Whatever.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #124: September 10, 2012, 08:45:02 AM »
Of course, even if the Nats wins the WS this year the naysayers will never let it go. Whatever.

Fixed