Author Topic: New Mets Manager Dumps on Mets Fans  (Read 1546 times)

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
New Mets Manager Dumps on Mets Fans
« Topic Start: June 23, 2008, 08:29:36 AM »

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06232008/news/regionalnews/new_manager_rips_dung_ho_met_fans_116794.htm

June 23, 2008 --

DENVER - Angry Mets manager Jerry Manuel ripped Shea Stadium fans yesterday, comparing them to cow manure for booing beleaguered reliever Aaron Heilman.

Adding to his fast-developing reputation for making outrageous comments, the Mets' interim boss said Heilman and his teammates would flourish in the "fertilizer" left behind by the Amazin's booing fans.

When asked how Heilman was holding up to the constant streams of boos showered on him at home, Manuel took a not-so-thinly veiled shot at displeased Mets fans.

"It's very, very fertile ground for growth in Shea Stadium," Manuel said.

"It's fertile ground for a team's growth and development. Sometimes, fertile ground has fertilizer."

Manuel, who has put his foot in his mouth repeatedly since replacing Willie Randolph just six days ago, then tried to soften the metaphor.

"Fertilizer is a good thing," Manuel said in Denver before his team's victory over the Rockies.

"It's a good thing. You get the greatest results - get the most beautiful plants - when you put it in that type of fertile soil. That's what we have the opportunity to do."

It's been a rocky road for Heilman, who is 0-3 with a bloated 5.17 earned run average this season.

Mets fans are particularly angry at the veteran reliever because he's saved his worst games for Shea Stadium - where he's 0-2 with a sky-high 6.17 ERA so far in 2008.

Heilman was in the bullpen when Manuel came to the pitcher's defense. The sixth-year right-hander could not be reached for comment after the game.

Manuel, who will make his first appearance at Shea as manager of the Mets tonight against Seattle, pleaded with reporters to forget the "fertilizer" reference - and not do "something crazy with this."

Team GM Omar Minaya did not return a call for comment.

The AL Manager of the Year in 2000 with the Chicago White Sox, Manuel seems determined to one-up his South Side replacement, Ozzie Guillen - baseball's reigning king of oddball, opinionated, unpredictable statements.

In Manuel's managerial debut Tuesday, he yanked José Reyes out in the first inning when the star shortstop came up with a tight hamstring. Reyes responded with a helmet-tossing tantrum, prompting Manuel to jokingly threaten to knife Reyes if it happened again.

"I told him the next time he does that, I'm going to get my blade out and cut him right on the field," Manuel said. "I'm a gangster."

Manuel also invoked NFL coach Bill Parcells' infamous reference to then-Patriot receiver Terry Glenn as "she" instead of "he" by using the same term for Reyes.

"She acted up with me, and she had a day off," Manuel said of Reyes.

If the Mets' middle-of-the-night firing of Randolph and two coaches in Anaheim last week was aimed at steadying a sinking ship, it's only led to more clubhouse drama.

Two days after the midnight massacre, The Post reported that Randolph had suspected Manuel, his bench coach, of stabbing him in the back by having private talks with Assistant GM Tony Bernazard.

Manuel laughed off the allegation.

Offline Dave B

Re: New Mets Manager Dumps on Mets Fans
« Reply #1: June 23, 2008, 08:42:31 AM »
i think i should start watching the mets soap opera. probably more entertaining than watching the nats try to win

Online The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #2: June 23, 2008, 09:40:11 AM »
"Jokingly" threaten to knife Reyes because he's a "gangster?"  Sounds like it's about time for me to get my mf'in popcorn :lol:

SoxNationVA

« Reply #3: June 23, 2008, 02:13:04 PM »
There isn't any room for this guy in the game, never mind managing in New York!

Offline blue911

« Reply #4: June 23, 2008, 02:16:22 PM »
There isn't any room for this guy in the game, never mind managing in New York!

How many times has Francona threatened Ortiz?

SoxNationVA

« Reply #5: June 23, 2008, 02:19:25 PM »
How many times has Francona threatened Ortiz?

Nobody knows because is doesn't belong in the paper.

Offline blue911

« Reply #6: June 23, 2008, 02:24:26 PM »

Nobody knows because is doesn't belong in the paper.

Why?

SoxNationVA

« Reply #7: June 23, 2008, 02:30:23 PM »
Because fans are NOT part of the clubhouse and the team. Do managers/players/front office people go off
on each other.....probably....but if you are a solid team/organization, its not in front of the prying media.

This is New York, so who cares..... :rofl:

« Reply #8: June 23, 2008, 04:02:32 PM »
Fertilizer? WTF?

Is that the best metaphor he can come up with?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #9: June 23, 2008, 04:18:54 PM »
That's very funny.  Great entertainment, I can only imagine what the NY papers have to say about it.

It's pretty outrageous how they boo Heilman, though.   Maybe we can get him for Wily Mo.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #11: June 24, 2008, 10:53:34 AM »
Well it beats the latest news out of the Bronx

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/21/nyregion/21concrete.html?ex=1371700800&en=e3d4e49d9f4003f8&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

It appears that is possible for concrete to fail a test 56 days after it was poured at the job site, with 56 days of work having taken place on top of the concrete.  That would be a sucky test to fail.

I really wonder what the success rate of these tests is. Probably like 99.99%.  The testing standard was probably some BS imposed by the mob to create "no-show jobs"

Offline blue911

« Reply #12: June 24, 2008, 10:57:03 AM »
^ I don't know anything about these type of things. It caught my eye because to the concrete/mob connection and the fact that the FBI task force on organized crime was disbanded after 9/11.

Offline wisefan11

• This is Nat Country
« Reply #13: June 26, 2008, 02:57:10 AM »

"I told him the next time he does that, I'm going to get my blade out and cut him right on the field," Manuel said. "I'm a gangster."

"She acted up with me, and she had a day off," Manuel said of Reyes.

Is Jerry Manuel secretly a follower of Chuck Manson's? (I'm a GANGSTER, WOMAN!)