Author Topic: What are you listening to? (2012)  (Read 43911 times)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #225: August 13, 2012, 12:56:05 PM »
Good - a cat fight here -  Leonard Skynyrd vs Chuckie Brown

"bama skynard crap"?  it's Skynyrd first of all - and second of all - they have more songs than just Skynyrd.  It's funny you rip on them because quite a lot of bands love them...including country artist Jason Aldean that LaRoche uses for his intro song

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #226: August 13, 2012, 01:44:44 PM »
And Lynyrd Skynyrd is from Florida. In the 4 or 5 years they were on the scene prior to the crash, they were one of the best bands going. They did crap with 3 lead guitarists that others can only dream of. I'm with tribe on this, they were a great, GREAT band. If you don't like them, fine, but comments like that can get your ass whooped on the street :lmao: Well, out this way and further south bound :D

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #227: August 13, 2012, 02:17:46 PM »
I'm convinced shop vac by johnathan coulton describes my life

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #228: August 13, 2012, 02:34:24 PM »
even this pointy-headed Ivy geek loved Skynyrd's mid-70s line up.  Loved Billy Powell's piano as kind of a counter to the guitars (especially Sweet Home Alabama). 

Do they still play "Mr. Saturday Night Special" or is that no longer consistent with their world view?  Or do you do like I did at a Springsteen concert in 2002 or so when he played "Worlds Apart" and take a p-ss break?

Actually, Worlds Apart has an awesome guitar break.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #229: August 13, 2012, 05:42:37 PM »
I love old school Skynyrd. To me, the best driving song in the world is Call Me the Breeze. Hell, Skynyrd is summertime cookout, beer drinkin' music. It don't get much better than that. That said, Ronnie the greatest singer of all time? I love him, but Freddie Mercury says hi... Not to mention Elton John in his prime.

Freddie Mercury was one of the all time greats.  For me though, it's all Ronnie James Dio :P

Offline Tribe Time

• Long Live LYNYRD SKYNYRD!!!
« Reply #230: August 13, 2012, 06:38:45 PM »
even this pointy-headed Ivy geek loved Skynyrd's mid-70s line up.  Loved Billy Powell's piano as kind of a counter to the guitars (especially Sweet Home Alabama). 

Do they still play "Mr. Saturday Night Special" or is that no longer consistent with their world view?  Or do you do like I did at a Springsteen concert in 2002 or so when he played "Worlds Apart" and take a p-ss break?

Actually, Worlds Apart has an awesome guitar break.

In response to your "Saturday Night Special" question - no, they don't play that often anymore.  Ronnie was against guns.  He owned one - for hunting, but didn't like the idea of everyone just having one.  Skynyrd has been more pro-guns now-a-days.  They'll still play SNS every now and then, but not often.  The songs they usually play every show are: "Sweet Home Alabama," "Simple Man," "Free Bird," "That Smell," "What's Your Name," "I Know A Little," "Gimme Three Steps," "Call Me The Breeze," "Gimme Back My Bullets," "Travelin' Man" (I love when they drop down the screen and show Ronnie - place goes nuts), "Red, White, and Blue," and "Tuesday's Gone."  They've started to play "The Needle and the Spoon" and "The Ballad of Curtis Loew" more often recently.  But of the new songs, they usually play: "Skynyrd Nation" (every show), "Still Unbroken," "Simple Life,"  "That's How I Like It," " Workin' ,"  and "Last of A Dyin' Breed" often.

Rickey has the same firepower Allen Collins does.  He's jumping around on stage getting the crowd excited.  I think that - since he was an original member - he wanted to bring some of the old Skynyrd to the new one.

Here is "Floyd" from their 2009 album "God & Guns."  This song features John 5 on guitar and Rob Zombie on backup vocals (you'll hear him on the chorus).  (Mind you, I did not put this video together, so please excuse me if you take offense to the flag on the video).

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #231: August 13, 2012, 07:07:31 PM »
I love old school Skynyrd. To me, the best driving song in the world is Call Me the Breeze. Hell, Skynyrd is summertime cookout, beer drinkin' music. It don't get much better than that. That said, Ronnie the greatest singer of all time? I love him, but Freddie Mercury says hi... Not to mention Elton John in his prime.

NRBQ thinks you might want to drop "Riding in my car" into your driving song/BBQ rotation.

Offline blue911

« Reply #232: August 13, 2012, 07:12:30 PM »
NRBQ thinks you might want to drop "Riding in my car" into your driving song/BBQ rotation.

What the hell's wrong with Radar Love?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #233: August 13, 2012, 08:07:04 PM »
Oh don't get me wrong, even I know when to STFU when out of the cozy confines of my chosen milieu: small body/big mouth works just fine on the interwebz, but...I might be dumb but I ain't stupid (or is it the other way around?)

I'm pretty sure my BIL has a skynard rebel flag tattoo, and he hasn't killed me yet  :D

Didn't realise there were 3 guitars. 

And Lynyrd Skynyrd is from Florida. In the 4 or 5 years they were on the scene prior to the crash, they were one of the best bands going. They did crap with 3 lead guitarists that others can only dream of. I'm with tribe on this, they were a great, GREAT band. If you don't like them, fine, but comments like that can get your ass whooped on the street :lmao: Well, out this way and further south bound :D

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #234: August 13, 2012, 08:16:48 PM »

If I want three guitars, I'll listen to Beyond the Embrace or Bad Religion live or Iron Maiden live

• babble on
« Reply #235: August 13, 2012, 11:17:19 PM »
or Superconductor (12 guitars).  Kind of like being in an air raid.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #236: August 14, 2012, 12:54:02 AM »
I just love this song:

Steve Gaines was an amazing guitarist.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #237: August 14, 2012, 01:00:50 AM »

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #238: August 14, 2012, 09:53:40 AM »
Well, Ronny said pretty much that Steve Gaines was the best of the bunch of them.

I once organized a dorm (residential college in Yalie speak) party "southern rock night" where we had southern-themed drinks and a cover band.  The posters we put up around campus had the confederate battle flag as the background and advertized "plantation punch" or something like that.  At that time, the battle flag was closely associated with southern rock (I guess it still is).  I even wore a Marshall Tucker bootleg tee shirt I got iat a concert n Boston with that flag on it.  The next week the posters we were called out on that by an op-ed in the school newspaper on how it felt to be black and having to see that.  Idiot like me had not been thinking about the negative connotations (probably because I was from an area where the flag wasn't an issue).  kind of a precurser to the fights over the battle flag over the next few decades.  Personally, I never wore that tee shirt again. 

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #239: August 14, 2012, 10:08:10 AM »
Christmas is coming ...

Well, Ronny said pretty much that Steve Gaines was the best of the bunch of them.

I once organized a dorm (residential college in Yalie speak) party "southern rock night" where we had southern-themed drinks and a cover band.  The posters we put up around campus had the confederate battle flag as the background and advertized "plantation punch" or something like that.  At that time, the battle flag was closely associated with southern rock (I guess it still is).  I even wore a Marshall Tucker bootleg tee shirt I got iat a concert n Boston with that flag on it.  The next week the posters we were called out on that by an op-ed in the school newspaper on how it felt to be black and having to see that.  Idiot like me had not been thinking about the negative connotations (probably because I was from an area where the flag wasn't an issue).  kind of a precurser to the fights over the battle flag over the next few decades.  Personally, I never wore that tee shirt again. 

• babble on
« Reply #240: August 14, 2012, 01:50:28 PM »
I wonder what John Fogerty would have thought about the trannie bar my sister took us to when she still lived in Thailand...the house band was a bunch of katoeys in full drag who went from table to table doing CCR covers (imagine Harvey Fierstein doing "Have You Ever Seen the Rain").  The food was another high point...lots of northern Thai specialties like deep-fried wasps and big grub-like things with chili sauce. 

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #241: August 14, 2012, 11:35:39 PM »
Christmas is coming ...

Do you have the Lynyrd Skynyrd  Christmas Album?

...And my favorite from the album.  An arrangement by the one and only Billy Powell - playing "Greensleeves"

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #242: August 15, 2012, 12:42:33 AM »

I nominate this song to be the official song of the rest of this Nats season.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #243: August 15, 2012, 01:28:03 AM »
:worship:

Brothers everywhere, raise your hands into the air
We're warriors!  Warriors of the world!

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #244: August 15, 2012, 10:04:23 AM »

One of the best to roll your windows down and just drive on an open road to

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #245: August 15, 2012, 11:18:29 AM »
moving a few posts to Uncensored - Politics Discussion thread.

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #246: August 15, 2012, 11:48:35 AM »
I love these covers of Skynyrd songs:

Black Label Society - "I Never Dreamed"

Uncle Kracker - "All I Can Do Write About It" 

Blackfoot (lead by former and current Skynyrd member Rickey Medlocke) - "The Seasons"

Ashley Ray - "Sweet Home Alabama"

Charlie Daniels - "One More Time"

Charlie Daniels - "Free Bird"

Gov't Mule - "Simple Man"

Confederate Railroad - "Simple Man"

Hank Williams Jr. - "Made in The Shade"

Hank Williams Jr. - "Tuesday's Gone"

Hank Williams Jr. - "Simple Man"

Jamey Johnson - "Four Walls of Raiford"

Yonder Mountain String Band - "Four Walls of Raiford"

Drive-By Truckers - "Every Mother's Son"

The Outlaws - "Sweet Home Alabama" (led by the late former Skynyrd and Outlaws member Hughie Thomasson)

Or by 2 former Skynyrd members (Artimus Pyle and Ed King) - "Double Trouble"

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #247: August 15, 2012, 02:12:42 PM »
JCA - you're such a wouess

moving a few posts to Uncensored - Politics Discussion thread.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #248: August 15, 2012, 08:48:45 PM »

I nominate this song to be the official song of the rest of this Nats season.

worst drumming ever.

Also, why is he standing in different shapes of fire?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #249: August 15, 2012, 08:54:06 PM »
Allman Bros > Skynyrd

:run: