Author Topic: Strasburg TJ surgery & ongoing recovery news  (Read 21133 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Stephen Strasburg to have Tommy John surgery
« Reply #275: August 27, 2010, 10:53:49 AM »
SF: "Way to let the team down Strasburg  :clap:  His career is over and we should never expect to see him throw another pitch in a Nationals uniform.  :bang:  Now go get us some more freaking prospects!"   :whip:

Offline natsfan4evr

Re: Strasburg Hurt Again
« Reply #276: August 27, 2010, 10:54:14 AM »
The Lerners better sign Dunn or they will see 15K at a game next season if they're lucky

Offline Upark25

« Reply #277: August 27, 2010, 10:54:14 AM »
To be honest I think this changes the Nationals plan of trying to compete for 2011 to now 2012 when Strasburg will be back and Harper may be called up....I fear that the Nats now won't resign Dunn and take the draft picks and the team might tank this and next season killing the buzz we had at the beginning of the summer.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #278: August 27, 2010, 10:55:13 AM »
From my spot, I see this making all kinds of strategic changes in the "plan".   Do we resign Dunn with SS one or two seasons off .. with Harper?   Ah, we'll have fun this winter around the hot stove.

I wonder what it does though since players aren't signed for one year. He will come back 2012 and probably won't be right again until 2013. How much would guys like Dunn, Crawford, or Lee help in 2013. Of course this is the off-season to buy a championship with both Lee and Crawford as free agents.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #279: August 27, 2010, 10:55:42 AM »
From my spot, I see this making all kinds of strategic changes in the "plan".   Do we resign Dunn with SS one or two seasons off .. with Harper?   
I don't think it really changes things all that much, he'll likely be out all next year, so, if anything it might delay it one year if they were planning to make a big push next year, but I don't think it changes it all that much. 

Ah, we'll have fun this winter around the hot stove.
Hot stove is always fun.

Offline daggerrrrrr

Re: Stephen Strasburg to have Tommy John surgery
« Reply #280: August 27, 2010, 10:55:57 AM »
No more pitchers #1overall for me anymore. They're just not worth it.  >:(

Offline spidernat

« Reply #281: August 27, 2010, 10:56:30 AM »
From my spot, I see this making all kinds of strategic changes in the "plan".   Do we resign Dunn with SS one or two seasons off .. with Harper?   Ah, we'll have fun this winter around the hot stove.

This may be just what the "doctor" ordered for the Lerners. now they have an excuse to "extend" the plan for another 4 years and say there is no need to spend money because we shouldn't be expected to contend until at least 201_.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #282: August 27, 2010, 10:57:36 AM »
gg

but honestly not even concerned. disappointed i can't see him pitch until next august september, but we all saw zimmermann blow through the rehab and come back.

Yeah, now that I think about it, what this really means is that while I live in London for a year, I won't miss anything.

Offline natsfan4evr

« Reply #283: August 27, 2010, 10:58:28 AM »
How does service time work? I know time on the 15 day DL counts as service time, but it shouldn't when he's going to be out for 12-18 months. Do we lose a year of service time because of this?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #284: August 27, 2010, 10:59:19 AM »
I don't mean to be crass but how does this change (or not) his status in relation to his contract.   Do injuries extend the period on a team having the rights to a player?    Will the original time under contract stay in effect?   

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #285: August 27, 2010, 10:59:26 AM »
Interesting quote by Linty's nemesis.

Quote from: William Ladson
#Strasburg knew about Tommy John surgery last night, but didn't want to make an announcement until today because he didn't want to rain on Bryce Harper's parade. #Nats

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/3c0a2o

Offline mitlen

« Reply #286: August 27, 2010, 11:00:03 AM »
How does service time work? I know time on the 15 day DL counts as service time, but it shouldn't when he's going to be out for 12-18 months. Do we lose a year of service time because of this?

Exactly what I was wondering.   Thanks for putting it in a readable form :)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #287: August 27, 2010, 11:00:46 AM »
This is what you get when you build an entire organization around one guy. I have a feeling it's much more likely we tank and totally give up next year than try to get some guy in here and compete, which we could still do if we wanted.

I have a sickening feeling we're on our way to being the new Royals or Pirates if our front office doesn't try this offseason.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #288: August 27, 2010, 11:00:50 AM »
I don't mean to be crass but how does this change (or not) his status in relation to his contract.   Do injuries extend the period on a team having the rights to a player?    Will the original time under contract stay in effect?   

He has a major league contract and those aren't impacted by injuries.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #289: August 27, 2010, 11:01:16 AM »
DL time is service time. It's not the player's fault. If it is, you can end the contract.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #290: August 27, 2010, 11:01:58 AM »
This is what you get when you build an entire organization around one guy. I have a feeling it's much more likely we tank and totally give up next year than try to get some guy in here and compete, which we could still do if we wanted.

I have a sickening feeling we're on our way to being the new Royals or Pirates if our front office doesn't try this offseason.

They have a "perfect" excuse now.

Offline natsfan4evr

« Reply #291: August 27, 2010, 11:02:15 AM »
lol....Lodson turns a complete 180

Forget what I said in the past: #Starting #pitching, not #defense, is the #Nats' top priority this offseason. See #Strasburg

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
« Reply #292: August 27, 2010, 11:02:29 AM »
You know this is for the best.  It is sad that such a young kid will be shut down for over a year, but after this then he should be good to go.  Almost like this year was a teaser for what is to come in 2012.

Kind of sucks though.  I thought he would be a key part of them being much more competitive for next year.  Hopefully the other young guys (Zim with two Ns, and Detwiler) can pick it up and learn what it takes to be major league pitchers.

I was looking forward to 2011, but now we just have to wait another year.  Heck maybe big bad Bryce can be up in the majors sometime in 2012.

It will be interesting to see how the Nationals "modify" their plan now.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #293: August 27, 2010, 11:03:13 AM »

Wow ... so do I understand correctly that when he comes back from TJ, he'll have maybe a year left on his original contract with the Nats?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #294: August 27, 2010, 11:03:26 AM »
I think the question is does he accrue MLB service time towards arbitration and free agency if he is on the 60-day DL all of next season.  Will he have a half year service time or a year and half?  It will not affect his pay for the duration of this contract.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #295: August 27, 2010, 11:03:37 AM »
They have a "perfect" excuse now.

You know they sliced his ligament just for your sake :roll:

Offline natsfan4evr

« Reply #296: August 27, 2010, 11:04:28 AM »
DL time is service time. It's not the player's fault. If it is, you can end the contract.
Even the 60 day DL? I know 15 counts, but are you sure 60 does too?
It's not his fault but he's paid to play, not sit on the bench. I'm not saying he shouldn't be paid but why should the Nats lose over a full year of eligibility because of his injury?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #297: August 27, 2010, 11:05:22 AM »
Even the 60 day DL? I know 15 counts, but are you sure 60 does too?
It's not his fault but he's paid to play, not sit on the bench. I'm not saying he shouldn't be paid but why should the Nats lose over a full year of eligibility because of his injury?

It is because the CBA says so. They could have insured the contract like they did with Bagwell, I guess.

Offline natsfan4evr

« Reply #298: August 27, 2010, 11:06:39 AM »
Wow ... so do I understand correctly that when he comes back from TJ, he'll have maybe a year left on his original contract with the Nats?
The contact is really meaningless. All players have to complete 6 years of MLB service time before they can become free agents, unless the team non-tenders them.

Offline natsfan4evr

« Reply #299: August 27, 2010, 11:09:29 AM »

It is because the CBA says so. They could have insured the contract like they did with Bagwell, I guess.
What a crock! Guaranteed contracts are so unfair to a team. Football is a dangerous sport and they don't even have guaranteed contracts.