Author Topic: What are you listening to? (2008-2011)  (Read 147569 times)

Offline blue911

Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #175: December 02, 2008, 01:38:51 PM »
Oh thanks for reminding me of that one!

At least I didn't mention Rubber Ducky!

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #176: December 02, 2008, 01:40:31 PM »
At least I didn't mention Rubber Ducky!
Or "Muscrat Love"?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #177: December 02, 2008, 01:47:54 PM »
Good gracious sakes alive, it looks like we got us a convoy. 

Offline blue911

« Reply #178: December 02, 2008, 02:00:53 PM »
Good gracious sakes alive, it looks like we got us a convoy. 

Suddenly I remember why I smoked dope in the '70's.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #179: December 02, 2008, 02:50:06 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Hendrix? Overrated? The guy was so into the guitar his penis was basically a guitar! Hands down, greatest guitarist of all time.
:worship: Hendrix is pure greatness.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #180: December 02, 2008, 03:40:57 PM »
Awesome! Love that music. Right now I have Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez going - but with a harp instead of a guitar (Gwyneth Wentink is the performer). So, so beautiful...
I love Rodrigo. I have the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields disc. Years ago I had a flute version by Galway; can't find it  anymore. Classical guitar is a minor passion. Check out Nicki Lehrer on the web; she's a former street guitarist who went off to MIT and now works for an NGO in South America.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #181: December 02, 2008, 07:31:30 PM »
I love Yanni.  He's beginning a tour soon.

The merger of XM and Sirius is probably a good thing.  Some of the best stations of both were retained

I love Rodrigo. I have the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields disc. Years ago I had a flute version by Galway; can't find it  anymore. Classical guitar is a minor passion. Check out Nicki Lehrer on the web; she's a former street guitarist who went off to MIT and now works for an NGO in South America.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #182: December 03, 2008, 01:40:20 AM »
I'll expose my ignorance....who is Yanni?

Offline eagleskins

• BANNED FOREVER
« Reply #183: December 03, 2008, 01:54:26 AM »
Kanye West, "808's And Heartbreak."  Haven't made my mind up yet. 

« Reply #184: December 03, 2008, 08:23:03 AM »
I'll expose my ignorance....who is Yanni?

He is that guy that they tried selling his records via infomercials in the 90s!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #185: December 03, 2008, 08:25:07 AM »
The merger of XM and Sirius is probably a good thing.  Some of the best stations of both were retained

This seems to represent an evolution of your thinking.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #186: December 03, 2008, 10:19:21 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

He is that guy that they tried selling his records via infomercials in the 90s!

We used to watch that damn informercial all the time - His hair and conducting style were hilarious.

« Reply #188: December 03, 2008, 06:18:34 PM »
"The End" by the Doors.

This song is probably the most haunting, but beautiful song I have ever heard. I was real late discovering the Doors and their music, but now I am completely obsessed with it. I remember hearing "The End" in it's entirety for the first time when I visited the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. I was in this Beatles exhibit (bored) and suddenly I heard this song coming from upstairs. I followed the music into the Doors exhibit and was just entranced.

Offline blue911

« Reply #189: December 03, 2008, 06:23:16 PM »
"The End" by the Doors.

This song is probably the most haunting, but beautiful song I have ever heard. I was real late discovering the Doors and their music, but now I am completely obsessed with it. I remember hearing "The End" in it's entirety for the first time when I visited the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. I was in this Beatles exhibit (bored) and suddenly I heard this song coming from upstairs. I followed the music into the Doors exhibit and was just entranced.

You'd probably like "When the Music's Over" on the Strange Days album.

« Reply #190: December 03, 2008, 06:25:17 PM »

Love it. I'm also a big fan of "Crystal Ship."

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #191: December 03, 2008, 06:31:39 PM »

Pretty good movie - The soundtrack has Prong featuring Ray Manzarek covering the title track

Offline Dave B

« Reply #192: December 03, 2008, 08:26:37 PM »
Or they were aped and copied into irrelevance...

I'm not even going to start reminiscing about HFSTivals. Shamrockfest is a pale shadow but the best we seem to have around anymore.

Shamrock Fest was awesome in 04 and 05 when I first moved here, when it was out in Ballston. I'm pretty sure in 04 it was like 10$ entrance and 3$ 20-24 oz beers.  05 was like 5 dollar beers and I remember the sticker shock because it wasnt a HUGE deal.  I think 06 it was like 70 degrees and the line to get in was 06 blocks long. No thanks. Then they moved to RFK and started charging 30 bucks to get in plus beer.  This is probably the first time I've said something was better in VA

Offline Dave B

« Reply #193: December 03, 2008, 08:32:06 PM »
For the first time in as long as I can remember I uncrabbied my grandma.  I put on the 40's station on direcTV XM and she was singing along. I think I'll get her XM just for that channel. Maybe she'll listen to a handful of others.  Anything to get her to stop listening to fox news and gambling online, I mean trading stocks, all day.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #194: December 04, 2008, 01:17:14 AM »
This shamrock stuff has gotten pretty off the hook...perhaps the Dropkick Murphys cobranding themselves with the Sawx was the icing on the cake, but coming from an island with 3 million inhabitants, Irish rock & roll has taken over the world...U2,  Boomtown Rats, Snow Patrol, Cranberries, Pogues, Undertones, Thin Lizzy, Stiff Little Fingers, and on and on...and these are bands FROM Ireland, unlike the myriad diaspora bands out there (Dropkick Murphys, Tossers, and Flogging Molly, to name a few). 

And besides, St. Patrick's Day is the biggest annual pissup in pretty much all of the English speaking world...probably more so in Boston and Sydney than it ever was in Dublin.

So shamrock whatever, it's like a cue card for music and booze.  Works for me...and I'm not even slightly Irish...I just like music and booze. 

Did anyone else catch the Pogues when they were here at the 9:30?     

Shamrock Fest was awesome in 04 and 05 when I first moved here, when it was out in Ballston. I'm pretty sure in 04 it was like 10$ entrance and 3$ 20-24 oz beers.  05 was like 5 dollar beers and I remember the sticker shock because it wasnt a HUGE deal.  I think 06 it was like 70 degrees and the line to get in was 06 blocks long. No thanks. Then they moved to RFK and started charging 30 bucks to get in plus beer.  This is probably the first time I've said something was better in VA

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #195: December 04, 2008, 01:19:03 AM »
I believe that there is a Sinatra channel now on XM/Sirius, which might be of interest.  Old Blue Eyes is a grannie killer.

For the first time in as long as I can remember I uncrabbied my grandma.  I put on the 40's station on direcTV XM and she was singing along. I think I'll get her XM just for that channel. Maybe she'll listen to a handful of others.  Anything to get her to stop listening to fox news and gambling online, I mean trading stocks, all day.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #196: December 04, 2008, 08:24:54 AM »
"The End" by the Doors.

I heard this song in its entirety for the first time, when watching "Apocolypse Now" in a theatre.  A perfect fit for that great opening scene, just awesome.

Morrison graduated from GW High School in Alexandria, used to hang out along the waterfront in Old Town, chatting up the (mostly) old black fishermen.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #197: December 04, 2008, 08:30:45 AM »

Besides channel 4, she may like Sirious Sinatra, now on XM.  If she likes classic country, there is a nice channel with Patsy Cline type stuff.  My grandmother loved that genre.

« Reply #198: December 04, 2008, 08:35:16 AM »
I heard this song in its entirety for the first time, when watching "Apocolypse Now" in a theatre.  A perfect fit for that great opening scene, just awesome.

Morrison graduated from GW High School in Alexandria, used to hang out along the waterfront in Old Town, chatting up the (mostly) old black fishermen.

Love Apoc Now! Yeah, that opening was perfect.

Did not know that about Morrison. I knew he lived in VA at one point.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #199: December 04, 2008, 08:56:59 AM »
Love Apoc Now! Yeah, that opening was perfect.

Did not know that about Morrison. I knew he lived in VA at one point.

Back in the early 60's, Old Town was very seedy and run down, not the gentrified tourist attraction it is today.  Probably the closest thing in the DC area to a San Fransisco seedy foggy waterfront docks ambience.

Morrison's father was an Admiral, stationed in DC for awhile.