Author Topic: Trades with other leagues  (Read 1059 times)

Online zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Trades with other leagues
« Topic Start: October 28, 2012, 11:13:11 PM »
what if MLB allowed teams to trade players to teams in other leagues.  It could even be sort of like the transfer system in soccer, where you can loan a player to a team in another league.  It could work with Japan, Korea, and Cuba (if only...).  I don't think the players would like it at all and the union would have a fit about it, but it would be great to see. 

Baseball is starting to gain some ground internationally.  The WBC has certainly helped and once more countries turn to baseball, this could be a plausible idea.  Sadly, It will be at least 50 years or so until anything like this ever happens, if ever.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Re: Trades with other leagues
« Reply #1: October 28, 2012, 11:15:39 PM »
No. Besides, other than the occasional Yu-type super pitcher, most Asian players are inferior to MLBers.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #2: October 29, 2012, 12:08:24 AM »
This will never happen, ever. Why would the MLBPA ever sign off on this?

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #3: October 29, 2012, 02:24:30 AM »

Exactly. Imagine Tyler Moore in Japan.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #4: October 29, 2012, 04:29:31 AM »

And why would the Nipon teams want players with mlb contracts (ie mlbpa work rules?)

Online zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #5: October 29, 2012, 09:42:01 AM »
It works for soccer.  I'm just saying that eventually (ie 50-100 years or more) this might be plausible.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #6: October 29, 2012, 10:17:23 AM »
It works for soccer.  I'm just saying that eventually (ie 50-100 years or more) this might be plausible.

But I think it works well in soccer because there are multiple high-level leagues across the globe - where for baseball the MLB is the highest level of competition globally. That doesn't outright stop trades of course, teams of unequal competition will trade with each other for mutual benefit, but I don't think that many of the players that play in the MLB would really be happy if they were traded to Japan in a trade. Not all of them, but most of them.

Now if our cultures were a bit closer than I'd probably make an argument for it but from what I have read transitioning to life in Japan as an American baseball player can be extremely difficult and lonely. I would imagine that the transition for Japanese players coming to the US is just as difficult. Probably even more tough for players who have families. So there's a personal aspect that'll be tough on the traded player.

When baseball develops good, global competition - which I don't see happening anytime soon - then trading globally will be great. Until then, no.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #7: October 29, 2012, 11:59:54 AM »
Who would want to get traded to Cuba?

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #8: October 29, 2012, 12:14:58 PM »
Send Maya back

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #9: October 29, 2012, 03:45:11 PM »
No. Besides, other than the occasional Yu-type super pitcher, most Asian players are inferior to MLBers.

I think most Nippon Pro pitchers come over at an age when they are already acclimated to the HUGE strikezones of Japan.  Here, we actually have a strikezone.  They also have a smaller and less smooth ball.  This Tanaka kid is 23 and most of the "bad teaching" can be undone.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #10: October 30, 2012, 01:20:14 AM »
Right on the money.  It's only very recently where a major north american sport got some serious international competition (KHL vs NHL, and let's not even go there about whether or not the NHL is still a "major" sport).  There are some big basketball leagues in Europe and South America, but nothing even remotely close to the NBA.  Baseball, throwball, not even close (much as I like the CFL and Asian baseball). 

Love it or hate it, football/soccer really is the ONLY legit global team sport.

But I think it works well in soccer because there are multiple high-level leagues across the globe - where for baseball the MLB is the highest level of competition globally. That doesn't outright stop trades of course, teams of unequal competition will trade with each other for mutual benefit, but I don't think that many of the players that play in the MLB would really be happy if they were traded to Japan in a trade. Not all of them, but most of them.

Now if our cultures were a bit closer than I'd probably make an argument for it but from what I have read transitioning to life in Japan as an American baseball player can be extremely difficult and lonely. I would imagine that the transition for Japanese players coming to the US is just as difficult. Probably even more tough for players who have families. So there's a personal aspect that'll be tough on the traded player.

When baseball develops good, global competition - which I don't see happening anytime soon - then trading globally will be great. Until then, no.