Author Topic: Galaxy Nexus/Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" launch  (Read 931 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
In case anyone cares and didn't already know.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
What does Ice Cream Sandwich launch mean?

Offline The Chief

It's the code name or nickname or whatever for the new version of the OS.  Android 2.2 = Froyo, 2.3 = Gingerbread, 3.0 = Honeycomb, 4.0 = Ice Cream Sandwich.

If you're asking me what new features it supposedly brings, I have no idea.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Ice Cream Sandwiches!

Offline HalfSmokes

I really wonder if Amazon basing off of Gingerbread and customizing it will encourage other manufactures to do the same and ultimately really hurt Android as a platform. Right now android phones seem very interchangeable with specs being the major differentiating factor- I can't imagine manufactures want their phones commoditized like that. If Ice Cream Sandwich blows away the amazon version, that probably doesn't happen, but who knows

Offline Nathan

Hopefully it's great.  I'm less than impressed with iOS 5 on the iPhone 4 tbh.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Beautiful phone, I'm eager to read whether the early reviews match the hype.  ICS is expected to be faster and less buggy than previous releases, add photo editing capabilities, bring to cell phones the features used on tablets via Honeycomb, and eliminate the need for hard buttons.

The Motorola Razr was also announced today and also looks like a terrific phone, with the big drawback being a non-removable battery.  For now I'm sticking with last years Droid X and waiting to see if the battery life issues in the 4G LTE phones get resolved.

Offline The Chief

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/18/samsungs-galaxy-nexus-gets-official-android-4-0-4-65-inch-hd/

Wait no more. Google and Samsung have just made the long-awaited Galaxy Nexus (not longer the Nexus Prime, as we'd once heard) official here in Hong Kong, and the specifications are downright drool-worthy. Those with bantam hands need not apply, as this 4.65-inch behemoth is bound to bring back talk of Sidetalkin'. Naturally, Ice Cream Sandwich is onboard, with Google finally revealing the version number as 4.0. Other specs include an HD Super AMOLED display (1,280 x 720), a 1.2GHz dual-core processor, 5 megapixel rear camera (with LED flash), a 1.3 megapixel front-facing cam, 1080p30 video recording and playback, a newfangled panorama mode, a 3.5mm headphone jack and Bluetooth 3.0. You'll also find USB 2.0, 802.11a/b/g/n WiFi, an embedded NFC module, accelerometer, compass, gyro, proximity sensor and even a barometer -- yeah, a barometer. Finishing things out, there's 1GB of RAM, 16 or 32GB of internal storage space and a 1,750mAh battery. As for radios? There's an HSPA+ model on tap, while an LTE version will "be available depending on region." There's nary a mention of carrier in the press release we're holding, but based on earlier leaks, a 4G build for Verizon Wireless seems a lock.

Focusing on Ice Cream Sandwich for a tick, Android 4.0 will bring "an entirely new look and feel to Android," boasting a redesigned user interface, bolstered multitasking / notifications, full-on NFC support and a new People app, which enables users to browse friends, family and coworkers' photos whilst peeking their status updates from Google+. ICS also introduces Face Unlock, which taps into facial recognition protocols in order to unlock your handset. And then there's Android Beam, an NFC-based technology that allows you to "quickly share webpages, apps and YouTube videos by simply tapping two phones together." According to Goog, the "lock screen, home screen, phone app and everything in between has been rethought and redesigned," and this is quite the beastly phone to launch with. We're still awaiting word as to when ICS will be rolled out to other handsets (and which ones will support it), so keep it locked here for more as the liveblog unfolds.

Offline houston-nat

Wait, they name all their launches after desserts?

I'm waiting for Chocolate Chip Cookie.

Offline The Chief

Wait, they name all their launches after desserts?

I'm waiting for Chocolate Chip Cookie.

Not going to happen.  Or didn't you notice that they're progressing alphabetically? ;)

Offline houston-nat

Not going to happen.  Or didn't you notice that they're progressing alphabetically? ;)

So the next one is... Jelly Beans?

I'll buy in at Nutella.

Offline The Chief

So the next one is... Jelly Beans?

I'll buy in at Nutella.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time?

Offline Nathan

Better than [adjective] [animal] like Ubuntu.  Kinky Koala anyone?

Offline HalfSmokes

http://m.cnet.com/Article.rbml?nid=20122931&cid=latest&bcid=1006&bid=251&test=20122931%26assetType=BLOG_POST%26beginStartDate=20110921%26endStartDate=20111020

CNET has recently confirmed with Google that the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update will let users disable any application, even those apps that the manufacturer and carrier preinstall as part of their business deals.

The ability to shut down unwanted apps also extends to the browser and Gmail.
I wonder if the carriers will remove this feature, otherwise this may be the biggest step forward in cell phones in a while.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Quad core, 4.7 screen, Beats audio...

The HTC Edge is coming out in 2012, may not have to decide between the Rezound/RAZR/Nexis and keep the good old DX another few months.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Is this why people are lining up with lawn chairs and sleeping bags outside of Best Buy?  You'd think that Samsung had just marketed a personal tactical nuke from the crowds.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Is this why people are lining up with lawn chairs and sleeping bags outside of Best Buy?  You'd think that Samsung had just marketed a personal tactical nuke from the crowds.

The RAZR launches Friday, the Nexus sometime before Black Friday, not sure when the Rezound is available.  The Edge is just a rumor for now, a beautiful beautiful rumor.

• babble on
Crazy crap...it's like pilgrims flocking to see some saint's finger or the Shroud of Turin.  What do these damned things do this week that they won't be able to do in two weeks?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Crazy crap...it's like pilgrims flocking to see some saint's finger or the Shroud of Turin.  What do these damned things do this week that they won't be able to do in two weeks?

It's all about maximizing time with the latest and greatest, I'll be looking for a new phone again by next summer, so waiting two weeks now reduces my time with the phone by up to 8%.

Offline Obed_Marsh

What do these damned things do this week that they won't be able to do in two weeks?

Provide gadget geek bragging rights.

• babble on
OK, I can dig that.  I once stayed up all night to buy a pair of newfangled skis. 

It's all about maximizing time with the latest and greatest, I'll be looking for a new phone again by next summer, so waiting two weeks now reduces my time with the phone by up to 8%.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
I think they're hanging out for the newest "Modern Warfare". 

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
OK, I can dig that.  I once stayed up all night to buy a pair of newfangled skis. 

Only time I ever stayed up to make a purchase was for Stones tickets back in 89; long night, it's a miracle that I lived so see 21.

Offline Nathan

I think they're hanging out for the newest "Modern Warfare". 

^^^ they're waiting for stupid ass MW3.  I want my Skyrim!!!!