Author Topic: Nationals @ Dodgers, Game 1  (Read 24636 times)

Offline JMUalumni

Re: Nationals @ Dodgers, Game 1
« Reply #525: May 07, 2009, 01:19:33 AM »
I feel like Cabrera is Mr. Magoo, walking blindly over moving steel beams on a high rise and somehow things work out for him.  He just barely escapes enough danger miraculously for the team to 'try' to justify to keep him around.  The bullpen is a mess, but nothing is going to change that, even calling up Clippard.  I've sat through some messy games before, but I couldn't sit through the game tonight.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #526: May 07, 2009, 01:20:18 AM »
Really we lost this game before it started.  We knew Cabrera was going to get bombed, but to start Fat Ronnie just screams "we take it in the 2 hole for free."

yeah and kearns and orr had a great game tonight for the nats

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #527: May 07, 2009, 01:21:13 AM »
"Why do we play so bad behind Cabrera?"  What?  It's not everyone else, it's Cabrera.  At least Ray is calling out Cabrera.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #528: May 07, 2009, 01:21:21 AM »
I feel like Cabrera is Mr. Magoo, walking blindly over moving steel beams on a high rise and somehow things work out for him.  He just barely escapes enough danger miraculously for the team to 'try' to justify to keep him around.  The bullpen is a mess, but nothing is going to change that, even calling up Clippard.  I've sat through some messy games before, but I couldn't sit through the game tonight.
yeah, Crab has a 4.85 ERA but he clearly is worse than that. It's a shame Rizzo doesn't have the balls to outright release him and call up Stammen to start in his place.

Certainly Stammen might go through some bumps but at least he will throw the ball over the plate and try his hardest to get the job done.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #529: May 07, 2009, 01:22:49 AM »
hey hammonds, how's Milledge doing in Syracuse?  8)

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #530: May 07, 2009, 01:24:20 AM »
cabrera was "solid"

LOL. Cabrera = bona fide bum.

Offline Air Zimmerman

« Reply #531: May 07, 2009, 01:24:39 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

OWN3D!

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #532: May 07, 2009, 01:26:02 AM »
tomorrow's lineup:

Guzman
Johnson
Zimmerman
Dunn
Dukes
Willingham (Kearns is 2/13 with 7 Ks career against Randy Wolf)
Flores
Hernandez (Belliard is 1/20 with 4 Ks career against Randy Wolf)
Zimmermann

NJ could use a day off too (he's 0/8 with 6 Ks career against Wolf) but it's not going to happen unless Acta wants to put Dunn at 1B and play both AK and Willingham in the OF.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #533: May 07, 2009, 01:27:13 AM »
I feel like Cabrera is Mr. Magoo, walking blindly over moving steel beams on a high rise and somehow things work out for him.  He just barely escapes enough danger miraculously for the team to 'try' to justify to keep him around... 

QFT.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #534: May 07, 2009, 01:30:59 AM »
QFT.

haha, I knew you would find me the right pic n2p

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #535: May 07, 2009, 01:32:24 AM »

lol ... you have said time after time to not take things personal, i have said time after time that milledge belongs in the minors right now and that dukes is better than milledge.  and all i say is i'd rather have russell martin and you bring up milledge?  it's not offensive to me. 

good for you, i hope you feel better about yourself :clap:

POSTERS BEWARED:  BASH ZIMMERMAN, NIEVES, LANNAN, MARTIS, FLORES OR A PROSPECT ... AND SPORTSFAN882 GETS UPSET!!!

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #536: May 07, 2009, 01:35:22 AM »
who's the one that's upset?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #537: May 07, 2009, 01:36:07 AM »
in before the lock

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #538: May 07, 2009, 01:38:56 AM »
No Acta press conference tonight? Damn, I was so looking forward to hearing him get on his knees for the Dodgers and Daniel Cabrera.

Offline Air Zimmerman

« Reply #539: May 07, 2009, 01:39:04 AM »
i kinda feel bad for Milledge. he was once considered one of the best prospects in all of baseball, and now he's humiliating himself in AAA.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #540: May 07, 2009, 01:39:31 AM »
who's the one that's upset? (Image removed from quote.)

i'm upset we lost, but it was a good game after 5 innings. 

btw, i don't see how u think flores hitting a home run late in a game when we're down big is a highlight.  especially coming from a guy who has bashed kearns and others for hitting a "worthless" or "meaningless" homer before in games when we were down big.  whatever floats your boat.

anywho JZ will get the win tomorrow :clap:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #541: May 07, 2009, 01:43:19 AM »
Acta said that D-Crab "deserved better".

Acta talked very positively about D-Crab when asked about his progress by Debbi.

Now he's slurping the Dodgers and their 13 game home win streak.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #542: May 07, 2009, 01:45:28 AM »
Acta said that D-Crab "deserved better".

Acta talked very positively about D-Crab when asked about his progress by Debbi.

Now he's slurping the Dodgers and their 13 game home win streak.

what do you expect it's manny acta.  he's the same manager that has kept alex "0 for" cintron and wil "1 for" nieves.  d-cab looked good for a bit and then faltered, should've been taken out but wasn't and blew up and he deserved the loss. 

Offline eagleskins

• BANNED FOREVER
« Reply #543: May 07, 2009, 01:46:44 AM »
what do you expect it's manny acta.  he's the same manager that has kept alex "0 for" cintron and wil "1 for" nieves.  d-cab looked good for a bit and then faltered, should've been taken out but wasn't and blew up and he deserved the loss. 

Again, what is the common theme between all those players you just mentioned?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #544: May 07, 2009, 01:47:23 AM »
Again, what is the common theme between all those players you just mentioned?
they belong in the Minors?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #545: May 07, 2009, 01:49:22 AM »
they belong in the Minors?

haha.  there you go admitting one of your boys sucks.  :clap:

but no seriously they should be gone.  send hinckley, kensing, wells, tavarez, hanrahan, cabrera and mock with them too. 

Offline Air Zimmerman

« Reply #546: May 07, 2009, 01:54:40 AM »
22 walks vs 10 k's for Cabrera this year...awesome stuff.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #547: May 07, 2009, 01:57:26 AM »
22 walks vs 10 k's for Cabrera this year...awesome stuff.

if only we had 4-1 derek lowe.  oh we don't. 

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #548: May 07, 2009, 08:23:04 AM »
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-dodgers-nationals7-2009may07,0,4315224.story

DODGERS 10, WASHINGTON 3
Dodgers' home cooking yields a baker's dozen

Their 13-0 start at Dodger Stadium sets a modern-day major league record.
By Dylan Hernandez
May 7, 2009

Something unexpected happened Wednesday night at Dodger Stadium.

Baseball's worst team gave the Dodgers a game.

Well, at least for four or five innings.

Then the Washington Nationals went back to being the Washington Nationals, as their bullpen collapsed magnificently in a seven-run sixth-inning for the Dodgers, who went on to claim a 10-3 victory to become the first modern-day team in major league history to win its first 13 home games.

The Detroit Tigers won their first 12 home games, and that was in 1911.

In the days and hours leading up to the first game of their two-game set against the Nationals, most of the Dodgers appeared to be paying little attention to the streak.

"I'm sure they're aware of it," Manager Joe Torre said. "I'm sure they'd like to be the team to own the streak by themselves, or, like the 1911 Tigers, not be around when it's broken."

The Dodgers took their 23rd decision in their last 26 games at Dodger Stadium, dating to Aug. 21, 2008. Starting from the day Manny Ramirez became a Dodger -- Aug. 1, 2008 -- they are 31-7 at home.

With four games remaining in a season-long 11-game homestand, the Dodgers extended their lead in the National League West to 6 1/2 games and their winning streak to seven games. They improved their record to 21-8.

The Nationals dropped to 7-18, worst in the major leagues, and are 2-11 on the road.

But they had a chance.

The Dodgers were held to a run in the first four innings, after which the score was tied, 1-1.

The home team's only run in that span came in the first inning when Rafael Furcal singled, moved to third base on a double by Orlando Hudson and scored on a double-play grounder by Andre Ethier.

Meanwhile, Clayton Kershaw was laboring.

He gave up only one run but lasted only five innings, as he rapidly ran up his pitch count to 99. He walked three.

The 21-year-old left-hander wasn't as sharp as he was five days earlier, when he matched San Diego Padres ace Jake Peavy over seven scoreless innings.

"I think he realized he didn't have to strike people out to win," Torre said of that game.

Not on Wednesday.

He had to strike out Austin Kearns to get out of the first inning, when he loaded the bases by giving up hits to Cristian Guzman and Ryan Zimmerman and walking Elijah Dukes.

Zimmerman's single extended his hitting streak to 24 games, the longest in the majors this season.

Kershaw surrendered the tying run in the third inning, which Guzman led off with a double to left field. Guzman eventually scored on a sacrifice fly by Zimmerman to tie the score, 1-1.

But Nationals starter Daniel Cabrera handed the Dodgers the fifth, walking Ethier with the bases loaded to force in the go-ahead run.

An inning later, the game took a turn for the ridiculous for the Nationals.

Cabrera issued consecutive walks to Casey Blake and pinch-hitter Mark Loretta to load the bases and was pulled from the game in favor of Mike Hinckley.

Hinckley served up a run-scoring single to Furcal that widened the gap to 3-1.

With the bases loaded, Hinckley walked Hudson to force in another run. Ball four was like something out of a bloopers video, sailing high over the head of catcher Jesus Flores and hitting the screen behind the plate.

Hinckley was removed from the game but the deluge continued, as Ramirez hit a two-run double and James Loney slapped a two-run single. A force out by Russell Martin knocked in the seventh run of the inning.

dylan.hernandez@latimes.com

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #549: May 07, 2009, 09:16:56 AM »
by the way, the Dodgers desperately need a color guy to go along with this old geezer. he never SHUTS UP, just keeps on blabbering.

I sincerely hope you're not so dumb as to trash Vin Scully.  Seriously?  If so, you know JACK crap about baseball.