Author Topic: The "Former Nat Watch" Thread (2011)  (Read 43932 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

The "Former Nat Watch" Thread (2011)
« Topic Start: March 01, 2011, 05:18:15 PM »
Indians sign Nick Johnson.

Edit by Nathan - Discussion continued from 2010 thread here:  http://www.wnff.net/index.php/topic,17102.0.html

Offline blue911

Re: The
« Reply #1: March 01, 2011, 05:18:57 PM »

Somebody to drive Austin Kearns around?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #2: March 01, 2011, 05:35:27 PM »
Why do things like this continue to happen to me?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #3: March 01, 2011, 05:36:15 PM »
Because you are a horrible person.  Karma is a nag.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
The "Former Nat Watch" Thread (2011)
« Reply #4: March 02, 2011, 11:01:22 AM »

Acta's getting the band back together.

how long until Flop is an Indian?

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Re: The "Former Nat Watch" Thread (2010)
« Reply #5: March 02, 2011, 04:39:07 PM »
I'm shocked that Guzman isn't an Indian yet.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #6: March 02, 2011, 04:41:14 PM »
Acta's getting the band back together.

how long until Flop is an Indian?

Maybe we can lose 130!!!! What an idot!

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #7: March 02, 2011, 11:07:27 PM »
Not to mention, this is probably the last time Olsen sees a contract that even has the potential to pay in the millions. If I had a job with performance goals that paid far more than my salary, but my boss put me in a position where I didn't even have a chance to attempt let alone reach the goals I'd be furious too

You know what?  Tough crap for him.  He should pitch well enough to make the rotation of the freaking Pirates.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #8: March 04, 2011, 08:53:01 PM »
http://therocket.mlblogs.com/archives/2011/03/guzman_to_sit_out_first_half_o.html

Guzman to sit out at least half a year with family troubles. Cris, you are a good guy and I hope things get better for you.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #9: March 04, 2011, 10:14:21 PM »
it was weird seeing Maxwell in RF for the Yankees tonight.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #10: March 04, 2011, 11:48:02 PM »
maxwell sucks. cant hit.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #11: March 05, 2011, 12:23:25 AM »
If Scott Olsen can't beat out Charlie Morton for Pittsburgh's fifth starter spot, he shouldn't ever be in the majors again.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #12: March 05, 2011, 01:59:40 AM »
I just saw the news about Guzman and was coming to post it. "family issues." I believe you, Cristian. Has nothing to do with being a FA on March 4th. Jose Guillen, who will "retire" this week. A crap ton of players on minor league deals, Willie Harris, Lastings Milledge, Maxwell. Players in jail for beating their pregnant 'hos to earn Fly Eli street cred, yo. Aside from Adam Dunn, do we have any former players who aren't either dead FA weight in March or on minor league deals praying for a job? It's shocking to me just how insanely the roster has turned over, and how nearly all of those players, including ones that were "stars" while here such as Guillen and Guzman, can't even get a job anywhere. Just goes to show how bad our teams were, and how stupid JimBo was. Think about it for just a second, all the former players you can think of, even ones from just the past couple years, and where and how they are doing today off the Nats. It's shocking.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #13: March 05, 2011, 02:31:54 AM »
Aside from Adam Dunn, do we have any former players who aren't either dead FA weight in March or on minor league deals praying for a job?
Dimitri Young.

Actually, Bill Bray and Joel Hanrahan are the only two that come to mind. *EDIT* Hammer as well. *EDIT* Also Grady Sizemore, Cliff Lee, and Brandon Phillips. *EDIT* And Colby Lewis.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #14: March 05, 2011, 03:18:11 AM »
http://therocket.mlblogs.com/archives/2011/03/guzman_to_sit_out_first_half_o.html

Guzman to sit out at least half a year with family troubles. Cris, you are a good guy and I hope things get better for you.
This is probably true.  But, I'm curious as to why Ladson is reporting this?

Offline Coladar

« Reply #15: March 05, 2011, 03:46:39 AM »
Dimitri Young.

Actually, Bill Bray and Joel Hanrahan are the only two that come to mind. *EDIT* Hammer as well. *EDIT* Also Grady Sizemore, Cliff Lee, and Brandon Phillips. *EDIT* And Colby Lewis.

The ones you added afterwards never played in DC though. So Willingham, Hanrahan, and Bray? Out of dozens of players? That makes my point. It's really shocking that we've had a near total roster overhaul since the regime change from Jimbob to Rizzo, in just two years, and none of these players really could make it as major leaguers. Look at the number of under 35 guys that retired right after leaving the Nats before Rizzo ever even took over. Patterson, Wilkerson, etc. When you stop to think about it, it's mind blowing.

Heck, I just read on MLBTR earlier today... A teams looking for a non-switch hitting left handed hitter. Who is the *only* lefty that's still a FA? Guess what, another former Nat. Ryan Church.

Reading MLBTR, it brought up one other former Nat that is still around, Brian Schneider. Although considering where he was in DC to becoming a backup and the way his career has gone, it just further strengthens my point. It really is shocking how no Nats have any success, can't even get signed. The list of still FAs in March, Ryan Church, Jose Guillen, Guzzie up until yesterday. It's like the only players left at the bottom of the barrel are all Nats, and most of those gobbled up right before ST on minor league deals? Nats. Milledge, etc.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #16: March 05, 2011, 08:36:34 AM »
Just goes to show how bad our teams were, and how stupid JimBo was. Think about it for just a second, all the former players you can think of, even ones from just the past couple years, and where and how they are doing today off the Nats. It's shocking.

Of course every spring when we had those players, fans were abundantly optimistic that this was the year the Nats were going to improve by 20 games.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #17: March 05, 2011, 01:32:24 PM »
This is probably true.  But, I'm curious as to why Ladson is reporting this?

They could be buddies from back in the day. Laddie burger calls and asks who Guz is signing with.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #18: March 05, 2011, 01:37:55 PM »
They could be buddies from back in the day. Laddie burger calls and asks who Guz is signing with.
That's fine, he's more than welcome to do that if he's buddies with the guy, but seriously, what's the point of reporting that to Nats fans?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #19: March 05, 2011, 02:03:38 PM »
It's shocking to me just how insanely the roster has turned over, and how nearly all of those players, including ones that were "stars" while here such as Guillen and Guzman, can't even get a job anywhere. Just goes to show how bad our teams were, and how stupid JimBo was. Think about it for just a second, all the former players you can think of, even ones from just the past couple years, and where and how they are doing today off the Nats. It's shocking.
Dimitri Young.

Actually, Bill Bray and Joel Hanrahan are the only two that come to mind. *EDIT* Hammer as well. . . . And Colby Lewis.
Guillen also played 5 years after he left us, nearly all full time.  Did he make an All-Star team with the Royals?  He's old now, and never should have been traded for Maicer and Rivera, but let's not say he had no career after he left here.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #20: March 05, 2011, 03:12:13 PM »
Guillen also played 5 years after he left us, nearly all full time.  Did he make an All-Star team with the Royals?  He's old now, and never should have been traded for Maicer and Rivera, but let's not say he had no career after he left here.
Guillen was the poster boy for clubhouse cancers. Getting rid of him was a good idea.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #21: March 05, 2011, 03:18:16 PM »
Guillen was the poster boy for clubhouse cancers. Getting rid of him was a good idea.

I thought he was liked here.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #22: March 05, 2011, 03:19:38 PM »

I don't know. That was before my time, however, he has not been well thought of for the past few years.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #23: March 05, 2011, 08:33:59 PM »

Being "liked" around here is temporary, with the turn-over we've had, you can be liked one season, resented the next, and completely forgotten within a year.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #24: March 05, 2011, 08:58:26 PM »
Yes, he has a history of jerkiness as well as HGH. I hated the Izturis / Rivera deal from the get go.  That said, he clearly was a major leaguer.  A huge arm with power who was too hacktastic for my taste, but I'm one of those OBP loving stat geeks.