Author Topic: Minty's "do you still play" thread  (Read 58114 times)

Offline whytev

Re: Minty's "do you still play" thread
« Reply #400: January 11, 2016, 12:35:22 PM »
Whytev:  why not play hardball?

We're actually taking our two team rivalry and turning it into a 4 team league this year.  With rented fields (we used to just crash them), insurance, and a schedule, and everything.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #401: January 11, 2016, 03:50:52 PM »
We're actually taking our two team rivalry and turning it into a 4 team league this year.  With rented fields (we used to just crash them), insurance, and a schedule, and everything.

:clap:

Our league started in 1994 - one age division and only 6 teams.  It 21 years later we had 4 age divisions and 42 teams.  Are you planning on being affiliated with one of the major amateur organizations?

I leave on Wednesday for the tournament!

Offline whytev

« Reply #402: January 11, 2016, 04:48:37 PM »

Our league started in 1994 - one age division and only 6 teams.  It 21 years later we had 4 age divisions and 42 teams.  Are you planning on being affiliated with one of the major amateur organizations?

I leave on Wednesday for the tournament!

Not this year but maybe in the future!

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #403: January 11, 2016, 09:31:34 PM »
Not this year but maybe in the future!

We had to start as an independent league but once we were able to establish consistency (I think it took three years) we joined the MABL/MSBL.

Offline whytev

« Reply #404: February 13, 2016, 01:02:36 AM »

Everything is going great so far:

http://www.vancouverisawesome.com/2016/02/09/9-reasons-to-check-out-east-vans-sandlot-style-baseball-league/

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #405: February 16, 2016, 01:21:40 PM »
Everything is going great so far:

http://www.vancouverisawesome.com/2016/02/09/9-reasons-to-check-out-east-vans-sandlot-style-baseball-league/

Awesome.

Any chance of joining a big organization so you can send teams to tourneys?

Offline whytev

« Reply #406: February 16, 2016, 06:54:33 PM »
Awesome.

Any chance of joining a big organization so you can send teams to tourneys?

Discussed above.

Edit: with you!

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #407: February 17, 2016, 10:59:23 AM »
Discussed above.

Edit: with you!

So, no progress then?  :P

It would be cool to do so because I just participated in my first national tournament in January and it was such a good time. In speaking with other players, it wasn't even close to the best tournament they do (the Fall Classic in the Sarasota, FL area and the Kickoff Classic in the Las Vegas, NV area are supposedly much bigger and much more fun).

Plus, if you join the MSBL you could sign up to be a pool player for these tournaments even if you don't have a team - then I could call you and get you on one of our teams!

Offline whytev

« Reply #408: February 17, 2016, 11:00:37 AM »
So, no progress then?  :P

It would be cool to do so because I just participated in my first national tournament in January and it was such a good time. In speaking with other players, it wasn't even close to the best tournament they do (the Fall Classic in the Sarasota, FL area and the Kickoff Classic in the Las Vegas, NV area are supposedly much bigger and much more fun).

Plus, if you join the MSBL you could sign up to be a pool player for these tournaments even if you don't have a team - then I could call you and get you on one of our teams!

We have a lot to prove this year. Then we'll see.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #409: February 17, 2016, 11:02:13 AM »
We have a lot to prove this year. Then we'll see.

Definitely keep posting.  I love to hear about people playing hardball instead of softball. 

We've been having indoor practices for about a month now and we're all itching to get outdoors.  Winters in the north SUCK!

Offline whytev

« Reply #410: February 17, 2016, 11:35:34 AM »
Definitely keep posting.  I love to hear about people playing hardball instead of softball. 

We've been having indoor practices for about a month now and we're all itching to get outdoors.  Winters in the north SUCK!

We already have practiced outdoors but it's pretty slippery!

Offline whytev

« Reply #411: April 20, 2016, 11:27:03 PM »
Starting our own league is going well so far. I spent half of opening day doing interviews. Three newspaper articles and on the radio in one day. And a huge waiting list for next year!

http://vanmag.com/city/east-van-baseball-league/

It gets pretty weird there in the middle with the hippie league.

Personally I'm now 0/3 with a walk, a run scored, a sacrifice bunt, two ks, and a spotless fielding percentage at 2nd.

My team is 0-2.  :'(

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #412: April 21, 2016, 07:29:48 AM »
Starting our own league is going well so far. I spent half of opening day doing interviews. Three newspaper articles and on the radio in one day. And a huge waiting list for next year!

Personally I'm now 0/3 with a walk, a run scored, a sacrifice bunt, two ks, and a spotless fielding percentage at 2nd.

You've built something really awesome.  It's good to see you allow women to play!

I'm fighting with my league now over that matter.  No bylaws or regs prohibiting women from playing, just the fact that our organization is the "MENS Senior Baseball League". 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #413: April 21, 2016, 07:30:16 AM »
My team won our opening night 1-0 on a wild pitch.  Classic game!

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #414: April 21, 2016, 08:38:24 AM »
Awesome, Whytev.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #415: April 21, 2016, 09:34:06 AM »
Trying to find a pickup league out here to get back at it. It's been awhile... may hit the cage this weekend

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #416: April 21, 2016, 09:52:55 AM »

Pretty cool.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #417: April 21, 2016, 11:21:27 AM »
Trying to find a pickup league out here to get back at it. It's been awhile... may hit the cage this weekend

Where do you live?

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #419: April 21, 2016, 11:30:52 AM »
CO

According to our website, the organization I belong to has three in your state....

http://www.msblnational.com/Find-a-League.html?lat=39.5500507&lng=-105.78206740000002&z=7

But you do live in a big state....   :lol:

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #420: April 21, 2016, 11:37:36 AM »
According to our website, the organization I belong to has three in your state....

http://www.msblnational.com/Find-a-League.html?lat=39.5500507&lng=-105.78206740000002&z=7

But you do live in a big state....   :lol:

There's one right down the road -- these guys look too legit for me though... haven't played since pony league/HS

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #421: April 21, 2016, 11:42:59 AM »
There's one right down the road -- these guys look too legit for me though... haven't played since pony league/HS

I'm running a 33+ team and many of my players hadn't played since HS/College.  Took 15 or so years off and played softball because they didn't know they could play adult baseball.

I think you'd be surprised if you researched it.  There are teams always looking for new players.  The trick is to find the right fit for you and it can take a couple of seasons. There are always teams in every league looking to build championships and there are teams out there just looking for competition and to hang out and drink beer.  Depends on what you're looking for.

There's another national organization offering adult baseball:  http://www.dugout.org/index.php/league-info/find-a-league-2/league-map

EDIT:  You can PM me if you'd like and I can tell you more about the organization - if you're into playing baseball instead of softball, it's completely worth your time to check these leagues out.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #422: April 21, 2016, 11:52:24 AM »
Thanks for the links! We'll see about getting into a legit league -- I was hoping to find something a little more pick-up style, as work may shoot me out at any time (plus, I never said I was good when I did play  :hysterical: ).

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #423: April 21, 2016, 11:57:57 AM »
Men's team got rained out on Monday, so the season will kick off tomorrow with the coed team. Had a practice last Sunday. Itching to get going again!

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #424: April 21, 2016, 12:13:40 PM »
Mint, do you play both softball and baseball? I've never played softball before outside of a toss, so I'm wondering if an 11.5"/12" glove will be solid enough for both (OF in INF too)?