Author Topic: GOTTA GO GOTTA LEAVE  (Read 1864 times)

Nationalzfanatic88

GOTTA GO GOTTA LEAVE
« Topic Start: August 29, 2005, 04:31:22 PM »
Like Vivian Green says, "I gotta go, I gotta leave, so please dont make it hard for me"

When I joined this forum, I did it because nobody out of my family or friends cared about the Nationals. I came here hoping that I could find some Nats fans that I could share all the Nationals ups and downs with. When were 19 games over .500, that was a big up, and i really enjoyed this forum site. I enjoyed reading about other people's opinions and views and I looked forward to game-day threads and other things. I really dont get what happened, whenever I felt down about the Nationals and posted a negative post or comment, you guys would always pick me up and tell me to look at the positives.  But now that we've gone all the way down to four games over .500, a down, it seems everyone has abandoned the Nationals and it just sickens and saddens me to hear all the negative vicious remarks that are being made about the Nationals by their supposed fans. I mean you guys DO realize that you ACTUALLY made a whole thread about how much the NATIONALS SUCK?
You might say I'm young and naive and dont know anything about baseball. But the Nationals mean the world to me. You see the Nationals mean more to me than just another team that I can support. Before baseball and the Nationals, I really didnt care about sports at all. My dad used to force me to watch football and basketball because of how little i watched sports. The Nats gave me something to care about in sports. I finally knew how it was like to be a fan. I never like them because of their playoff capabilites but I rooted for them when they won and was saddened when they lost. I was a fan who believed my team can make it to the playoffs in their hot streak and still a fan who believes they can make the playoffs in their cold streak. I say again, even if the Nats dont win a game for the rest of the season, finish below .500 and dont make the playoffs, those are all things I can deal with. But having people who "care" about the Nats talk about them like they are a piece of garbage, is just too much for me. Some of you might say that you do care about the team and you see nothing wrong about being upset when your team loses. And I agree there is nothing wrong with being upset when your team loses, I get extremely upset when the Nats lose. However, I wake up the next day knowing the Nats can still take the division and understanding that if they lose that it is NO EXCUSE FOR TEARING APART MY TEAM. The reason I have shared this is to hopefully open some people's eyes towards their own actions. Sure, the nationals cant hit right now and sure they might face a few more years of "mediocrity" but what's wrong with believing they can make the playoffs this year and become a dominate powerhouse next year when they have an owner, more money, and healthy players???

I know this probably wont mean anything to anyone here and you guys will just go on with your normal routines. But for my own heart and soul's sake, I'm going to try my best to stay away from this sight where cleary the Nats "fans" have turned on "their" team.

Offline Dave B

GOTTA GO GOTTA LEAVE
« Reply #1: August 29, 2005, 04:58:14 PM »
Most people here still realize they can make they playoffs. We all like the Nats.  Because they were so successful early and got our hopes up, when they stumble we get frustrated because they showed they can do the things needed to win.  If they played consitstent .400 baseball from day one, people would be ok with it.  You love them for who they are.  Similar to kids, even though I dont have kids.  The nationals right now are kids who went from straight A's through middle school to smoking crack and robbing liquor stores.  You cant just say "It'll be ok". We are not their parents, they dont know we exist. What we type here goes unread by them. But we speculate as to what needs to be done.

Because people have opinions different from yours is no reason to leave.  It would be pretty boring if people posted stuff and everyone just agreed.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
GOTTA GO GOTTA LEAVE
« Reply #2: August 29, 2005, 05:04:47 PM »
Quote from: "Dave B"
Most people here still realize they can make they playoffs. We all like the Nats.  Because they were so successful early and got our hopes up, when they stumble we get frustrated because they showed they can do the things needed to win.  If they played consitstent .400 baseball from day one, people would be ok with it.  You love them for who they are.  Similar to kids, even though I dont have kids.  The nationals right now are kids who went from straight A's through middle school to smoking crack and robbing liquor stores.  You cant just say "It'll be ok". We are not their parents, they dont know we exist. What we type here goes unread by them. But we speculate as to what needs to be done.

Because people have opinions different from yours is no reason to leave.  It would be pretty boring if people posted stuff and everyone just agreed.

I agree with what has been posted here.

and I think you are overreacting a bit here, NationalsFanatic.

Offline esoteric

GOTTA GO GOTTA LEAVE
« Reply #3: August 29, 2005, 05:09:58 PM »
If you leave this forum I will personally find you and kick your ass.

Er...okay, so threats like that seem kinda stupid, especially in a baseball forum, and especially to prevent someone from leaving.

Look, I know how you feel.  I hate it when everyone around me sounds like they're giving up, and the negativity seems overwhelming - it brings ME lower than I'm already feeling about the Nats.  But I've realized a few things:

1.) One need not stake one's enthusiasm on the enthusiasm of others.

2.) People express their fandom in all sorts of different ways.  For example, kenzafan often comes across as waaay too downbeat for my tastes - sometimes it seems like he'd gladly send 3/4 of the roster + FO to a firing squad given the chance - but I wouldn't for a second question the level of his commitment.  He's shaped both by his general personality AND his experience of following the Expos and their luckless ways for (I would surmise) decades.  You can disagree with him - or me, or anyone else on here - without feeling like you're contravening Accepted Wisdom.  We all have different opinions.  Fight for your views!

3.) One should NEVER be prohibited from criticizing the team, even if you'd gladly sacrifice several non-essential organs for it.  I love the Nats now like I've always loved the Maryland Terrapins, but I have no problem criticizing either team.  No question about it: our team has a LOT of very noticeable flaws, and if we manage to stitch together a run to get ourselves into the postseason it's very much going to be a spit-and-chewing-gum sort of operation.  We need better hitting, we need to fill at least one more starting slot in the rotation, new management, a new GM, etc.  

But unlike, say, the Pittsburgh Pirates or the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, we have so much reason for hope and enthusiasm.  We're going to be getting an owner, a REAL payroll, we're in a town that has the potential to become one of the major baseball markets (PETER YOU CAN KISS MY PATOOTIE), we have most of the more difficult-to-fix pieces in place with a great catcher, bullpen, closer, and starting rotation...there is literally absolutely no reason not to expect this team, with a little retooling in the off-season, to be a serious contender next year....REGARDLESS of whether we make it this year.

I won't speak for anyone else, but I find your enthusiasm, especially in the face of some bad times for Nats Nation, to be endearing and and even encouraging.  I LIKE the idea of a fan who will back this team through thick and thin.  I think intelligent criticism (as opposed to relentless defeatism) is absolutely necessary - nobody has ever benefitted from turning a blind eye to their weaknesses - but so is a healthy dose of the good ol' RAH-RAH.  Even if/when the Nats are mathematically eliminated from playoff contention, I'm not going to stop cheering for them.  (After all, a lifetime of Washington sports has inured me to the sickly stench of failure...this is the town of The Curse O'Les Boulez, the Choking Dog Capitals, the Bob Wade-era Terps disgrace, the '90s Deadskins...and the perennial 4th-placers up I-95.)

So stick around, ya goofball!

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
GOTTA GO GOTTA LEAVE
« Reply #4: August 29, 2005, 06:14:16 PM »
I agree with all of these guys.  You'd be missed if you left.  Consider staying :D

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
GOTTA GO GOTTA LEAVE
« Reply #5: August 29, 2005, 11:07:53 PM »
I dont understand how we can disgust him?  What makes this 17 year old kid a better fan than any of us in there, because we choose to be critical of some thing about the Nats? What disgusts me is the little runt has his email option turned off, so he's not reachable (except by The Chief) to tell him to get his butt back in here... We're all just as much a Nats fans as this kid thinks he is, and in some case, more so. He looks down on us because we are passionate about the Nats. Maybe one day when he grows up he'll look back at today and see just how wrong he was...

He's obviously a good Nats fan, but he has a lot to learn. Starts singing... One dayyyyyyyyy  (oh God, I feel so old)

Scot

GOTTA GO GOTTA LEAVE
« Reply #6: August 30, 2005, 10:52:26 AM »
If he's going to be a baby about it, let him take his self-centered sulk somewhere else. Good riddance.

Scot.

Nationalzfanatic88

GOTTA GO GOTTA LEAVE
« Reply #7: August 30, 2005, 03:39:17 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
I dont understand how we can disgust him?  What makes this 17 year old kid a better fan than any of us in there, because we choose to be critical of some thing about the Nats? What disgusts me is the little runt has his email option turned off, so he's not reachable (except by The Chief) to tell him to get his butt back in here... We're all just as much a Nats fans as this kid thinks he is, and in some case, more so. He looks down on us because we are passionate about the Nats. Maybe one day when he grows up he'll look back at today and see just how wrong he was...

He's obviously a good Nats fan, but he has a lot to learn. Starts singing... One dayyyyyyyyy  (oh God, I feel so old)

I never said that I think I am a better fan, I was just saying, Is all that negativity really necessary? I'm sorry you SO misunderstood what I mean and second of all as the great Aalyiah once said "AGE AINT NUTING BUT A NUMBER!!""

Nationalzfanatic88

GOTTA GO GOTTA LEAVE
« Reply #8: August 30, 2005, 03:40:35 PM »
Quote from: "Scot"
If he's going to be a baby about it, let him take his self-centered sulk somewhere else. Good riddance.

Scot.

being a baby...maybe...sulking...maybe....selfc entered...where in da hell did you get that? If I upset you so much, i truly do apologize but you seem to be overreacting just as much as I am!!

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
GOTTA GO GOTTA LEAVE
« Reply #9: August 30, 2005, 04:44:08 PM »
LOL...this kid hasn't grown all his brain cells yet.  He's quitting because everybody is too negative on here?  Are you kidding me?!?   :lol:   This from the same person who always posts negative things on the game threads "to keep himself from being disappointed"?  Please.  :roll:

Ryan Zimmerman

GOTTA GO GOTTA LEAVE
« Reply #10: August 30, 2005, 05:10:32 PM »
I'm glad to know that I"m not the only youngster here. :lol:

Relax, buddy, the mlb boards are worse.We were just frustrated because of our abysmal second half...no big deal.Stay here...it's a nice place...you'll always see fans over reacting because they're true fans and all...

This forum is atleast trolls free. :D

Nationalzfanatic88

GOTTA GO GOTTA LEAVE
« Reply #11: August 30, 2005, 05:13:29 PM »
Quote from: "Ryan Zimmerman"
I'm glad to know that I"m not the only youngster here. :lol:

Relax, buddy, the mlb boards are worse.We were just frustrated because of our abysmal second half...no big deal.Stay here...it's a nice place...you'll always see fans over reacting because they're true fans and all...

This forum is atleast trolls free. :D

O, I'm staying, I'm too hooked to this place, I just wanted to point out to people that their comments were getting past the criticsm side and going towards the vicious side, I never meant to insult anyone and certainly never meant to question people's fandom. A lot of the people here have been fans of this franchise WAY longer than I've been alive, to me this is a brand new team but some people still see this team as the Expos in a new home.

Take life with a grain of salt, thats what I (try) to live by!!

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
GOTTA GO GOTTA LEAVE
« Reply #12: August 30, 2005, 05:37:44 PM »
Everyone has their own take on things.  I'm glad to see this thread has remained (mostly) civil.  We are all Nats fans here, but some of us choose to express our frustrations and joys differently than others.  I don't think there's a man here who hasn't at somepoint said, in frustration, "God, xx player sucks!" or "xx team sucks!"

Anyway we all love this team, but that doesn't mean we all love every one of it's players or staff at all times.  As long as we support the team, that's what counts ;)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
GOTTA GO GOTTA LEAVE
« Reply #13: August 30, 2005, 11:25:31 PM »
Nationalzfanatic:

It's a long season man and it's full of extended ups, and extended downs.

you just need to learn to get a hold of your emotions, and that will come with time and age.  

all of us here are just as frustrated with the team as you are.  and when the team excels, we are just as overjoyed as you are too.

tonight for example, I'm on cloud 9, at least for a night, knowing that the Braves went home under our heels.  

I f*ckin hate the Braves and I f*ckin hate their arrogant fans.  sorry for language, just had to put that out there.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
GOTTA GO GOTTA LEAVE
« Reply #14: August 30, 2005, 11:58:22 PM »
Nationalzfanatic

Glad you came back, the Nats needs all the support they can get.

None of us are perfect, but we all really do love the Nats, that's a given...

See what happens when enough of us complain. Bowden gets us a 2B/SS who has a much better bat than Guzman... It's not a major deal, but it may be important one the rest of the way.