Author Topic: Prior to Padres  (Read 896 times)

Offline daveb32

Prior to Padres
« Topic Start: December 26, 2007, 02:55:46 PM »
The Padres signed right-handed starter Mark Prior to a one-year deal, bringing the San Diego native home in the hopes he regains his health and the mound prowess he once showed.
Prior, 27, has struggled with injuries in recent years and missed the entire 2007 season after undergoing surgery on his right shoulder April 24. He last pitched in 2006, compiling at 1-6 record and 7.21 ERA in nine starts for the Cubs.

"Mark Prior is a competitor and is working hard to regain the form that made him one of the great young pitchers in the game," Padres GM Kevin Towers said in a club release."We are confident he is going to help us in our rotation this season. It's exciting that Mark is coming home to San Diego to pitch for the Padres."

Over five Major League seasons (2002-06), Prior is 42-29 with a 3.51 ERA in 106 starts covering 657 innings. He has registered 757 strikeouts and 223 walks, while limiting opponents to a .235 batting average.

Prior was the No. 2 overall pick in the 2001 First-Year Player Draft out of USC, having graduated from University of San Diego High. He made his Major League debut less than a year later, striking out 10 Pirates in six innings for the victory on May 22, 2002. He was an All-Star in 2003.

In his career, Prior has tallied 21 double-digit strikeout games and 65 outings in which he has issued two or fewer walks. He is averaging 10.37 strikeouts per nine innings over his career.

Corey Brock is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Thank you Lord.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
Re: Prior to Padres
« Reply #1: December 26, 2007, 03:07:08 PM »
It's a smart gamble for the Padres given that they were knocking on the door last year in a competitive division. They have a solid pitching staff and need to make the most of it now. This could be a big boost late in the season.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #2: December 26, 2007, 03:21:28 PM »
Low risk, high reward. Good signing for them.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #3: December 26, 2007, 06:52:36 PM »
I agree, good low-risk signing by the Pads, but there's no way that anyone can make me believe that Prior signed with them because San Diego's his home town. I think it's much more likely that he signed there because the Padres play in what is very probably the most pitcher friendly park in all of baseball, and since he wants to use 2008 as a stepping stone into a better deal through free agency, San Diego being his home town had precious little to do with his signing.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #4: December 26, 2007, 07:45:54 PM »
I agree, good low-risk signing by the Pads, but there's no way that anyone can make me believe that Prior signed with them because San Diego's his home town. I think it's much more likely that he signed there because the Padres play in what is very probably the most pitcher friendly park in all of baseball, and since he wants to use 2008 as a stepping stone into a better deal through free agency, San Diego being his home town had precious little to do with his signing.

The fact that it is his hometown is a bonus. Being in that park on a good team with a good pitching staff that will love having his services in a pennant race all makes for an ideal situation for him to stage a lucritive comeback attempt. I agree with you 100%.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #5: December 28, 2007, 04:57:02 PM »
This is a perfect fit: those people in San Diego probably have a much better tolerance to frustration.  All that ocean and mild climate should help the fans out there when he's sitting on the DL syphoning payroll.   ;)

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #6: January 03, 2008, 11:47:51 AM »
This is a perfect fit: those people in San Diego probably have a much better tolerance to frustration.  All that ocean and mild climate should help the fans out there when he's sitting on the DL syphoning payroll.   ;)

Prior and Kerry Wood are the poster children for not living up to potential.