16 (13.4%)
One of the best in MLB
45 (37.8%)
I'm a moran and I don't like Charlie and Dave
4 (3.4%)
They're just ok
9 (7.6%)

Total Members Voted: 117

Author Topic: Charlie Slowes and Dave Jageler  (Read 51202 times)

Offline Obed_Marsh

Offline houston-nat

Re: Charlie Slowes and Dave Jageler
« Reply #51: April 22, 2011, 03:10:20 PM »
I've got to say that now radio is my second-favorite way to take in baseball behind actually being there. With radio, the dead time from TV where you watch people chew gum and fans hold up signs and Debbi Taylor exist and pitchers shake their heads at signals - is all gone. And since Charlie and Dave are genuinely entertaining hosts, it's replaced by some nice banter. Also, I find it fairly easy to multitask during the game.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #52: April 22, 2011, 03:36:36 PM »
Listening to baseball (or sports in general) on the radio may be a generational thing. In the old days before cable, you couldn't watch every game on TV. And also, home games were rarely broadcast on TV. So many of us grew up to listening to sports (esp baseball) on the radio and it harkens back to our childhoods.

The cutoff for this is probably 40 or so, I would guess.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #53: April 22, 2011, 04:08:09 PM »
I'm younger and I love listening to baseball on the radio.  Of course, Nats baseball wasn't generally available on TV in 2005, so it's kind of the same thing you mentioned.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #54: April 22, 2011, 04:10:05 PM »
I'm younger and I love listening to baseball on the radio.  Of course, Nats baseball wasn't generally available on TV in 2005, so it's kind of the same thing you mentioned.
I'm even younger, and I love baseball on the radio.  Other sports, not so much, but then again, baseball is the only sport that I really follow closely.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #55: April 22, 2011, 04:24:14 PM »
A Tad older.  I used to stick my Radio Shack Transistor radio under my pillow when I was supposed to be sleeping.  I'd fall asleep listening to SENATORS broadcasts.  My allowance was spent on 9 volt batteries.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #56: April 22, 2011, 04:41:06 PM »
I'm even younger, and I love baseball on the radio.  Other sports, not so much, but then again, baseball is the only sport that I really follow closely.
Count me in this number.  Baseball on the radio is as good as it gets, especially when you've got two skilled guys like Charlie and Dave.  When I can, I love to mute the tv and listen to the radio broadcast.  It doesn't always quite match up, the radio is usually ahead of the tv, but it's close enough.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #57: April 22, 2011, 04:41:54 PM »
Bob Prince ("Gunner") and Jim Woods ("Possum")

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #58: April 22, 2011, 04:52:46 PM »
I've got to say that now radio is my second-favorite way to take in baseball behind actually being there. With radio, the dead time from TV where you watch people chew gum and fans hold up signs and Debbi Taylor exist and pitchers shake their heads at signals - is all gone. And since Charlie and Dave are genuinely entertaining hosts, it's replaced by some nice banter. Also, I find it fairly easy to multitask during the game.

I'm even younger,

I'm 21 and a radio listener!

They should get us to do ads for them. "I'm young, and I listen to radio." "I'm younger, and I listen to radio." "I'm youngest, and..."

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #59: April 22, 2011, 05:13:19 PM »
Ned Martin and Jim Woods. 

fired because they refused to promote sponsors in the middle of an inning.

Offline PC

« Reply #60: April 22, 2011, 05:17:30 PM »
I tolerate listening to baseball on the radio.  I'm a very visual person so I need to see.  I'm also not very imaginative so I have a difficult time conceptualizing what I'm hearing.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #61: April 22, 2011, 05:21:29 PM »
I tolerate listening to baseball on the radio.  I'm a very visual person so I need to see.  I'm also not very imaginative so I have a difficult time conceptualizing what I'm hearing.

Maybe I'm old (I am) but a good radio guy(s) can make it very "visual".   Need to work on that conceptualizing.   In the '60's, it was easy to do that :)

Online blue911

« Reply #62: April 22, 2011, 05:39:14 PM »
Maybe I'm old (I am) but a good radio guy(s) can make it very "visual".   Need to work on that conceptualizing.   In the '60's, it was easy to do that :)

besides sitting around the back yard drinking beer, grilling and listening to the game is a male rite of passage.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #63: April 22, 2011, 05:45:58 PM »
besides sitting around the back yard drinking beer, grilling and listening to the game is a male rite of passage.

... almost as much as sitting on the front porch with your old man as he and the neighbor discuss the game on a hot summer night ...  or as someone mentioned earlier, placing that transistor under your pillow and listening to the Pirates at the Dodgers in the Coliseum.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #64: April 22, 2011, 09:08:15 PM »
I'm a Charlie and Dave groupie, have been since the beginning :)

Offline Nathan

« Reply #65: April 22, 2011, 09:19:52 PM »
They should get on WNFF for a chat or something.  Of course half of it would be us C&D lovers :worship: :P

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #66: April 22, 2011, 09:38:29 PM »
I often leave the TV on to catch replays, then just listen to the radio while I'm working in the basement or something.

Online blue911

« Reply #67: April 22, 2011, 09:40:15 PM »
They should get on WNFF for a chat or something.  Of course half of it would be us C&D lovers :worship: :P

AAAA trash  :stir:

Offline Nathan

« Reply #68: April 22, 2011, 09:43:46 PM »
 :punch:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #69: April 23, 2011, 11:16:15 AM »

I wish Knight or somebody would interview them (if they haven't) as well.   

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #70: May 07, 2011, 01:17:13 AM »
Quote from: Nathan

Quote from: DPMOmaha on April 29, 2011, sometime during the San Fran series
you have to install the "Nexgen" program, but yeah, it works like a charm.  not sure if you have to have the premium or not, though...
I have the premium version, but I know that it wasn't working for watching the archived games, which is what I use it for anyway.  But nice for others that like C&D and use MLB.tv.  Does it sync up well?
I watched the end of todays game via the archives and it let me overlay C&D with the MASN broadcast.  I have a mediocre connection so sometimes it would kick me out of the Nexgen and back to the standard and I'd have to wait for my signal strength to get back to where it was.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #71: May 07, 2011, 09:15:46 AM »
I want them to pick a new Latin batting song to dance to at Nats park.  They haven't danced since Nieves left!

Offline RL04

« Reply #72: May 10, 2011, 03:32:47 PM »
Since everyone here seems to love the radio guys, I've decided to take a listen for the past two weeks.

I'm sorry, but the play-by-play guy to me sounds exactly like Harry Shearer doing a Simpsons character voice.

He inflects way too much.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #73: May 10, 2011, 03:50:39 PM »
:shock:  Our radio PBP team is awesome.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #74: May 10, 2011, 03:55:51 PM »
I'm sorry, but the play-by-play guy to me sounds exactly like Harry Shearer doing a Simpsons character voice.

And what exactly do you have against the Simpsons? ;) :lol: