Author Topic: Washington Redskins Thread (2012)  (Read 99722 times)

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Re: Re: Re: Washington Redskins Thread (2012)
« Reply #150: March 17, 2012, 06:57:38 PM »
Several things. A strong zone running attack that thins out the defense at the point of attack in order to take advantage of the stretch play or a defense's over aggressiveness with cut backs. That's why Shanahan's system prefers offensive linemen to be extremely smart. They have to be able to read defenses, especially the interior linemen, in order to read on the run and get to the second level of the defense (Chris Chester was pretty good at that this past season). They prefer linemen that are athletic and not necessarily as big at the guard and center positions. The system is built to avoid negative plays so that even steady 2 or 3 yard gains will put the offense in favorable 3rd down positions. It's imperative that they avoid negative plays in order to have manageable distances on 3rd down. If you convert 3rd downs consistently in this offense it's almost inevitable that you will eventually gash the defense for longer chucks (maybe even a long TD) on the ground. At the same time, hesitation from defenses should leave them vulnerable to play action passes. Bootlegs are a staple of this system and can lead to huge plays when run correctly. That's why an athletic QB is preferred for this system. Luck could be really good at this but Griffin's athleticism could potentially cause nightmares for defenses. The intermediate passing game in this offense can be deadly if you have the right QB. As in every other offense the QB has to be a good decision maker (which is why I'm at a loss to explain how you were able to hang around for two seasons other than the fact that Jr loves to see you naked in the showers) and one who can push the pace. That's why Griffin seems almost ideal for this offense.

Very nicely explained Spidey! Pretty much every post after that is spot on as to my opinion as well. While we disagree on some things, I think for the most part, we look at things in an objective manner that a lot of others don't. I'm by no means calling out any posters on this site mind you, just a generalization from my personal experience.

I think RGIII has the talent, desire, intelligence and discipline to be a great NFL qb but by no means does that even remotely guarantee success. The fan base as well as the team itself must be patient as far as his progress goes. If you're looking for instant gratification, there's about a 99.9% chance that you'll be disappointed. Personally, I wouldn't be at all upset if they take the approach Bill Walsh took with Joe Montana: Put him in the game when he has the best chance at being successful without having a ton of pressure on him. Situations where we might have a big lead or be way behind where he can just go out and play but not have the outcome of the game resting square on his shoulders. Let Rexy or someone carry that burden. If however, he shows a much better grasp of the offense and is clearly the guy that gives the team the best chance to win, play him, just don't expect a second coming of Cam Newton.

I think Luck is clearly the better option, but Griffin is hardly chopped liver. Griffin, in my opinion, has much higher upside due to his athletic gifts, but his floor is a good deal lower. Like Spidey said, Luck is probably the most polished qb to enter the league since Peyton Manning. Luck should be able to start day 1 and is much more athletic than many thought he'd be.

Regardless if we have RGIII or by some strange happening end up with Luck, we'll need to get more depth on the oline. We need to keep our qb upright to have any chance of success. That and make sure that Helu and Royster are in the best shape of their lives. A great running game will take a world of pressure off of any qb.

Really good posts on this subject today for you Spidey.