Author Topic: Former Expo Watch  (Read 401 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Former Expo Watch
« Topic Start: August 17, 2010, 10:59:33 AM »
This guy still pitches 200 innings a year.  A great veteran innings eater.  I'm sure if NASA is still recruiting for space travellers, this guy could explain it all.

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: Former Expo Watch
« Reply #1: August 17, 2010, 11:23:21 AM »
MLB Network had a good, no, great documentary on him a while back.  Had one on the 1994 Expos the other day too which was really good and, as a former Expos fan was really tough to watch.  They might have had a dynasty if not for the strike...  :(

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Former Expo Watch
« Reply #2: August 17, 2010, 02:56:37 PM »
I had often seen things written about Brochu and how he ran the team into the ground.  The MLBNetwork thing was sympathetic to Brochu.  Basically, his group maxed out to keep the team in Montreal when Bronfman sold it, and they needed to come close to breaking even in order to pay the bills, absent a new stadium.  When the 1994 strike happened, it knocked a $20 M hole in the budget, between lost gate and playoff TV share.  Whether the fire sale could have been postponed to mid-season is a great what if.  The funny thing about the post 94 period was that they still were able to come up with a few quality system products like Grudzielanek and had Vlad and Pedro emerge even more.  I think they had a competitive team in 1996 or 1997 even after the fire sale.

But, the main point of my post - Bill Lee can still eat innings and, at 63, is younger than El Duque, if not Livo.  He also probably gets along better with the Castro family than either of the Hernandezes.