Author Topic: Strasburg in October..  (Read 44048 times)

Offline Sharp

Yep. It will go on all season, whether they make the playoffs or not. Uggh is right.
The dumbest thing about it is that even if the Nats make the playoffs they're a total crapshoot anyway.  Suppose everything went perfectly and the Nats made it to the World Series with Strasburg set to pitch games 1 and 5.  So what?  Cliff Lee got hit around by the anemic Giants.  Mariano Rivera blew a game seven lead against the DBacks.  Tony LaRussa, who is a freaking idiot, has three World Series rings and at least two of them were won on defensive miscues by the other team.  Trying to win it all in any one year doesn't make sense.  It's much more important to get to the playoffs as often as possible.  Same reason the Rays stockpile draft picks.  If people are that worried about game four just go Clippard and Stammen for three innings each, Burnett for two and Mattheus for one.  That's nine innings of 1.64 ERA (2.90 SIERA) ball.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Strasburg out of the bullpen for the playoffs.

let him close. can you imagine teams going 8 innings then having to face Strasburg's filth in the 9th when they are down?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Isn't there some wall you can drive your car into?

I ride a bike to work now :lol:

:roll:     :smh:

What I said is completely logical. If the Nationals shut down Strasburg, they're saying they don't care about making the playoffs this year. You don't shut down your #1 pitcher if you want to make the playoffs.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I ride a bike to work now :lol:

What I said is completely logical. If the Nationals shut down Strasburg, they're saying they don't care about making the playoffs this year. You don't shut down your #1 pitcher if you want to make the playoffs.

It can't mean they're saying "we must protect this asset for the future"?   

Offline Slateman

It can't mean they're saying "we must protect this asset for the future"?   

It can mean that too. They don't care about making the playoffs because they're shutting down Strasburg in September in order to protect that asset for the future.

No matter how you cut it, shutting down Strasburg is essentially them punting the playoffs.

What will be really interesting is if they shut him down for the season and they DO make the playoffs, will they let him pitch in them? :lol:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
It can mean that too. They don't care about making the playoffs because they're shutting down Strasburg in September in order to protect that asset for the future.

No matter how you cut it, shutting down Strasburg is essentially them punting the playoffs.

What will be really interesting is if they shut him down for the season and they DO make the playoffs, will they let him pitch in them? :lol:

I totally disagree on charactarizing that is "punting the playoffs".

If we go to war with Gio, Zimmnn and EJax, that's a competitive rotation.

Offline Slateman

I totally disagree on charactarizing that is "punting the playoffs".

If we go to war with Gio, Zimmnn and EJax, that's a competitive rotation.

Sure. If you don't plan on making it past game 4 of the wild card round.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

For the 6000th time, no.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Strasburg in October..
« Reply #158: June 22, 2012, 09:48:42 AM »
Riffing on the discussion of rubber armed relievers and restructuring rotations ( http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/latroy-hawkins-and-dave-camerons-radical-proposal/#comment-2873702 ) , I wonder if the Nats might be tempted to severely cut back Strasburg's innings per start to one trip through the batting order in September and then use a tag team of relievers when the roster expands.  Seems with Gorzo, Detwiler, and Stammen, we could probably tag team some games.  The advantage of this would be to not put too many stressful innings on Strasburg's arm and to keep him active so he could go back to 5 - 6 innings starts in the playoffs, perhaps once a week / series.

Offline JMW IV

Imo, anyone who thinks we will make any significant noise in the playoffs without Strasburg is delusional.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #160: June 22, 2012, 10:17:51 AM »
The idea that we are good to go in the playoffs with a Gio/Zim/EJ rotation and the idea that if we sit Stras for a few games in the regular season there is a really good chance we don't make the playoffs because of it are both equally silly.  The fact that a number of posters hold BOTH views simultaneously is dumbfounding. 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #161: June 22, 2012, 10:39:03 AM »
Imo, anyone who thinks we will make any significant noise in the playoffs without Strasburg is delusional.

Anyone getting chicken little over playoffs in June is either a total donk, an NFL baboon, or both.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #162: June 22, 2012, 11:19:02 AM »
Anyone getting chicken little over playoffs in June is either a total donk, an NFL baboon, or both.

NANF

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #163: June 22, 2012, 12:06:17 PM »
So in another thread people are blasting Strasburg and going all Dibble on him but in this thread he is the only chance we have in the playoffs?

Some of you need to delete your accounts and go to BOFF.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #164: June 22, 2012, 12:54:35 PM »
Some of you need to delete your accounts and go to BOFF blow your brains out.

FTFY.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #165: June 22, 2012, 12:59:02 PM »
Smithian and MDS :clap: :clap:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #166: June 22, 2012, 01:01:30 PM »
I would assume it's not the same people...

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #167: June 23, 2012, 12:22:23 AM »

anyone who thinks saying that we'll need to field a full strength team in order to actually win, should we somehow make the playoffs = "chicken little" is either a total donk, a NFL baboon, or both.

Offline Teddy-Roosevelt

• LetTeddyWin.com
    • Presidents race gear including official TM Let Teddy Win shirts and rally signs.
« Reply #168: June 23, 2012, 03:05:37 PM »
Arguing now, in June, that Strasburg should pitch in October is sort of pointless. 

If you really truly believe that winning now is everything, then by this time next month Rizzo should trade every top prospect in the organization for Cole Hamels and a couple of bats.

And, as the saying goes, monkeys might fly out of my butt.

Seriously the reason the Nats are good and getting better all the time is because Rizzo takes the long view.  Strasburg is an asset to be maximized over many years -- not for one season with an immature and not-yet playoff caliber offense.  Watch some tape of the Cardinals or the Rangers in last year's playoffs and tell me you think the current Nats are at that level.  They're not, but they're young and on their way.  We've waited 7 years.  Enjoy the chase, enjoy first place, and if a championship doesn't come in 2012, don't worry.  We're on schedule.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #169: June 23, 2012, 03:12:51 PM »
Arguing now, in June, that Strasburg should pitch in October is sort of pointless. 

If you really truly believe that winning now is everything, then by this time next month Rizzo should trade every top prospect in the organization for Cole Hamels and a couple of bats.

Seriously the reason the Nats are good and getting better all the time is because Rizzo takes the long view.  Strasburg is an asset to be maximized over many years -- not for one season with an immature and not-yet playoff caliber offense.  Watch some tape of the Cardinals or the Rangers in last year's playoffs and tell me you think the current Nats are at that level.  They're not, but they're young and on their way.  We've waited 7 years.  Enjoy the chase, enjoy first place, and if a championship doesn't come in 2012, don't worry.  We're on schedule.

I actually do believe that. Especially the bats part.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #170: June 23, 2012, 03:15:52 PM »
T.R. -  sanity.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #171: June 23, 2012, 03:36:26 PM »
I think, outside of a major pitching acquisition in the off-season, people will look back at this rotation and yearn for it in the coming years.

I truly believe this is the best our pitching will be in the "contending years" (barring a trade/signing for an ace)

I don't think people realize how good we have it with Jackson as a #4. Next year the staff will not be nearly as good. 30-40 more IP from Strasburg is not magically going to cover 200+ innings from Jackson plus whatever dreck we have as #5 next year. nagging about Det/CMW as #5? How's it going to look next year when they're our #4?

That's why you go for it when you have the chance. Come late September if we're in a position to win, I expect Rizzo will do what it takes to win now.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #172: June 23, 2012, 03:40:18 PM »

While I agree with you, can I watch the monkees flying out of your butt?

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #173: June 23, 2012, 03:46:09 PM »
I think, outside of a major pitching acquisition in the off-season, people will look back at this rotation and yearn for it in the coming years.

I truly believe this is the best our pitching will be in the "contending years" (barring a trade/signing for an ace)

I don't think people realize how good we have it with Jackson as a #4. Next year the staff will not be nearly as good. 30-40 more IP from Strasburg is not magically going to cover 200+ innings from Jackson plus whatever dreck we have as #5 next year. nagging about Det/CMW as #5? How's it going to look next year when they're our #4?

That's why you go for it when you have the chance. Come late September if we're in a position to win, I expect Rizzo will do what it takes to win now.

sanity

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #174: June 23, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
While I agree with you, can I watch the monkees flying out of your butt?

Sanity.