Author Topic: The Cycling Thread - 2012 Edition  (Read 40669 times)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Re: The Cycling Thread - 2012 Edition
« Reply #550: May 24, 2012, 01:22:22 PM »
Last night there were a ton of confused CJs on the bridge blocking progress, but otherwise it's almost always a quick ride.  I'm slowly working my way up the KOM chart on that one, just need to hit 25mph to break into the top 20.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #551: May 24, 2012, 01:24:58 PM »
By the way, it looks like my Cross Check frame is about to get replaced.  After shedding some more of my Buddha belly it's become apparent that the 56cm frame is actually too small.  I think I'm going to trade the frame in for a 58cm in Robin's Egg Blue.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #552: May 24, 2012, 10:43:43 PM »
Now that there are a few hundred miles on a new bike/new chain, I am faced with the eternal question as to what to do with the drivetrain.  For years I've cleaned the crap out of new chains and then slathered on White Lightning after every ride and never cleaned them again until they croak.  That generally works, though the waxy gunk in the derailleur and cogs gets a bit annoying.

I am toying with going back to Pedro's synthetic oil for this particular bike (wet weather ride), but the prospect of having to clean the chain every time I oil it kind of sucks.  Anyone have any strong preferences for how to mollycoddle bike chains?  Or tough love as the case may be (i.e. don't do anything to it and just buy a new one when it stretches and/or rusts).

• babble on
« Reply #553: May 24, 2012, 11:46:25 PM »
After shorting out the basement by driving a brake lever through an exposed wire on the dangling light, corners were seriously cut and a hack degreasing job was done with simple green and the old White Lightning wax slapped on as usual.  Guess I should probably screw down the dangly lights before I get all ol' sparky on myself while wrestling bikes up & down the stairs.

Now that there are a few hundred miles on a new bike/new chain, I am faced with the eternal question as to what to do with the drivetrain.  For years I've cleaned the crap out of new chains and then slathered on White Lightning after every ride and never cleaned them again until they croak.  That generally works, though the waxy gunk in the derailleur and cogs gets a bit annoying.

I am toying with going back to Pedro's synthetic oil for this particular bike (wet weather ride), but the prospect of having to clean the chain every time I oil it kind of sucks.  Anyone have any strong preferences for how to mollycoddle bike chains?  Or tough love as the case may be (i.e. don't do anything to it and just buy a new one when it stretches and/or rusts).

• babble on
« Reply #554: May 27, 2012, 12:07:28 PM »
Ryder effing Hesjedal!!   :minigunz:

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #555: May 28, 2012, 09:18:47 PM »
Ugh I want another bike but I'm not sure whether I want to continue hunting on Craigslist, finding a 60cm+ frame is a chore, or if I want to look for some discounted bikes at the LBS. I'm currently commuting on a fixed gear steel Kona Paddy Wagon, but I'm looking for something with gears and mounts for a rear rack. I'm getting tired of carrying my clothes and gear in a backpack. I've never ridden anything but steel frames, so I've been staying away from aluminum because I heard it beats you to death. Anyone have any suggestions on cheaper touring steel frames?

• babble on
« Reply #556: May 28, 2012, 10:21:43 PM »
Gburg has a Bob Jackson, which is probably the finest steel touring bike ever made (ask him, but I'll bet he loves it like family)...if you can score one of those on eBay, you should probably do it.  Reynolds 531 tubing with exquisite lugwork, they are nice. 

Does your Kona have derailleur braze ons and dropouts?  If so, the frame can probably just go through a frankenbike metamorphosis.  If not, there are plenty of clamp-on front derailleurs out there, and there is also mounting hardware one can buy for the rear changer.  It makes switching out the rear wheel a pain, but how often does one really need to be able to do that?  You can also get hardware to clamp on front and back racks...just be sure to use lots of little rectangles of an old innertube inside the clamps to keep the frame paint intact (important w/ steel).   

Ugh I want another bike but I'm not sure whether I want to continue hunting on Craigslist, finding a 60cm+ frame is a chore, or if I want to look for some discounted bikes at the LBS. I'm currently commuting on a fixed gear steel Kona Paddy Wagon, but I'm looking for something with gears and mounts for a rear rack. I'm getting tired of carrying my clothes and gear in a backpack. I've never ridden anything but steel frames, so I've been staying away from aluminum because I heard it beats you to death. Anyone have any suggestions on cheaper touring steel frames?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #557: May 28, 2012, 10:23:11 PM »
It's too bad you need a 60+ frame, I'm about to have a 56cm Surly Cross Check frame available.

• babble on
« Reply #558: May 28, 2012, 10:31:15 PM »
If I weren't fairly sure that I'd have hell to pay if I brought one more bike or pair of skis into the house, I'd be all over that myself
It's too bad you need a 60+ frame, I'm about to have a 56cm Surly Cross Check frame available.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #559: May 28, 2012, 10:44:26 PM »
Yeah, I'm hoping the bike shop will let me do a straight swap for the 60cm version but if not I'm putting it up for sale. 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #560: May 29, 2012, 01:14:48 PM »
freak a damn duck.  Looks like I'm going to need yet another new rear wheel.  Time to bite the bullet and either buy a Mavic or get a custom 40 counter made.  Boo.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #561: May 29, 2012, 01:19:26 PM »
Did you just replace that one?
freak a damn duck.  Looks like I'm going to need yet another new rear wheel.  Time to bite the bullet and either buy a Mavic or get a custom 40 counter made.  Boo.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #562: May 29, 2012, 01:29:31 PM »
Did you just replace that one?

Yup.  It was foolish of me to expect a stock 32 count wheel to hold up under the obscene stress 350lbs+ is going to dish out to it on a daily basis.  Hopefully I can get it trued tonight and keep it going for another couple of weeks.  I'm going to try and meet with the wheel guy this week and see when he can build a 40 counter for me.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #563: May 29, 2012, 01:34:36 PM »
So that means new hubs/rim and probably heavier spokes (in addition to more of them?)
Yup.  It was foolish of me to expect a stock 32 count wheel to hold up under the obscene stress 350lbs+ is going to dish out to it on a daily basis.  Hopefully I can get it trued tonight and keep it going for another couple of weeks.  I'm going to try and meet with the wheel guy this week and see when he can build a 40 counter for me.

• babble on
« Reply #564: May 29, 2012, 01:39:26 PM »
I guess you could get a CF wheel...they are apparently strong as crap, and the freds on the trail will look on with envy.

40 count with low-gauge spokes is pretty much what they use on tandems, so that should be plenty strong.  The hub might be a special order.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #565: May 29, 2012, 01:52:39 PM »
When I talked to the wheel guy at Spokes he suggested a 40 count with heavy gauge spokes is what probably work best.  He didn't use the term "bomb-proof" but he said I shouldn't have any issues unless I started doing stunts with them.  I'd really like to get Deep-Vs so I can get them in lime green but I think straight silver is what I'm going to end up with.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #566: May 31, 2012, 12:23:04 PM »
I can't believe I'm about to spend over $500 on one wheel (of which $300 is the hub!).  Is this really what my life has come to?  Being so heavy that having a rear wheel that will support me will cost more than most framesets? 

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #567: May 31, 2012, 01:02:36 PM »
Oh stop your whinning and just do it !

I can't believe I'm about to spend over $500 on one wheel (of which $300 is the hub!).  Is this really what my life has come to?  Being so heavy that having a rear wheel that will support me will cost more than most framesets? 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #568: May 31, 2012, 01:27:30 PM »
Oh stop your whinning and just do it !

Easy for you to say money buxxxx.  I've only got the working man's PhD (though I did pass the real PhD qualifier).

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #569: May 31, 2012, 01:50:13 PM »
You have gone on and on and on about your exercise on the bike.  So this seems like an easy investment in a major part of your life.

We don't need to be unindated with your whining about the cost.  This is an easy decision for you.

Easy for you to say money buxxxx.  I've only got the working man's PhD (though I did pass the real PhD qualifier).

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #570: May 31, 2012, 02:18:11 PM »
You have gone on and on and on about your exercise on the bike.  So this seems like an easy investment in a major part of your life.

We don't need to be unindated with your whining about the cost.  This is an easy decision for you.

Unindated?

Nobody would want that, whatever it is.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #571: June 01, 2012, 08:40:53 AM »
D.C. ranked #4 in America’s Top 50 Bike-Friendly Cities article. Portland, Minneapolis and Boulder still better.

4. Washington, DC
Population: 601,723

There is no clearer evidence of the urban-cycling revolution sweeping the United States than in the nation’s capital, where ridership jumped 80 percent from 2007 to 2010. The District opened the country’s first automated bike-share system, constructed separated bike lanes on key downtown corridors—including the stretch of Pennsylvania Avenue linking the White House and Capitol Hill—and installed more than 1,600 bike racks.

In 2011, Federal Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood attended the ribbon cutting for a section of the Anacostia River Trail, which will provide safe bicycle access to the eastern part of the city. Washington Area Bicyclist Association executive director Shane Farthing says the trail, along with new bike-share stations and clubs like Black Women Bike DC, will help increase the diversity of the cycling community.

Arlington, VA climes 7 notches to #23.

23. Arlington, VA

Population: 207,627

Claims to Fame: It boasts a bike-share system that’s set to expand to 70 stations in 2012, bike lanes on many major thoroughfares, and trails that draw up to 48,000 riders per month. In 2010 Arlington challenged skeptics to go car-free for 30 days. Converts who made it a month won a bike.

Biggest Challenge: Coordinating with less-bike-friendly municipalities and the National Park Service, which oversees the popular Mount Vernon Trail, is often a struggle.

Info: bikearlington.com

http://www.bicycling.com/ride-maps/featured-rides/4-washington-dc-0

• babble on
« Reply #572: June 01, 2012, 11:27:40 AM »
Well, you can sell the wheel to me when I'm ready for my around-the-world bike trip in a few years...90 pounds of gear in the panniers on potholed roads in Ecuador calls for uber wheels. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #573: June 01, 2012, 12:37:41 PM »
It's really too bad that it's only a temporary thing as you work your way towards 225. :)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #574: June 01, 2012, 12:44:34 PM »
The dude building my wheel might be on of the coolest guys alive. Super nice and really helped me understand what's going to work best for me while I'm 350lbs+ and biking 100 miles a week. Just in wheels I have now spent almost $1,000 in the past to months (two cheapy replacements @ $120 each, new wheel @ $700+). Insane. Can't wait though, this thing should survive any and everything I throw at it.