Author Topic: Buy, Sell, or Hold?  (Read 5683 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Buy, Sell, or Hold?
« Reply #125: June 15, 2012, 12:13:10 PM »
What pitcher? We are pretty thin in that department. Everyone we have is unrefined or an injury risk.

You could probably get away with a Perez/Meyer trade... but that's not something the Nats would likely want.

Or maybe a Goodwin/Rosenbaum... those are about the only two arms that may have value in trades... and Rosenbaum is a big question mark, on that front.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #126: June 15, 2012, 12:25:10 PM »
http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/8052191/source-chicago-cubs-ryan-dempster-theo-epstein-talk-potential-trades

Dempster is effectively on the market. What would it, realistically take, to get him?

I hadn't really looked closely at Dempster.  I didn't realize he was pitching that good this year - seems like he's kind of having a classic last-year-of-the-contract kind of surge, eh?  Still think I'd prefer Greinke, but if we could get him as a #3/4 for like a Rosenbaum/Hood, I think that would be worth it.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #127: June 15, 2012, 12:27:47 PM »
It's fitting that someone had him in their post as Dumpster.

Offline Skinz72

• Say hello to the DL-inator!!
« Reply #128: June 15, 2012, 02:55:47 PM »
Dempster is tremendous this year.  If we go for him, then the Nats better push it all the way THIS year, because in the off-season we could lose Dempster along with whatever minor league package that would have aided this trade, further depleting our farm.  Any single one of our minor league pitchers are on the table for this trade IMO ('cept Alex Meyer).  I could live with this... Dempster for Lanan, Destin Hood, Pat Lehman and Robbie Ray.  I doubt any of these guys will make the Nats squad in the next 2-3 years.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #129: June 15, 2012, 03:35:21 PM »
Dempster is tremendous this year.  If we go for him, then the Nats better push it all the way THIS year, because in the off-season we could lose Dempster along with whatever minor league package that would have aided this trade, further depleting our farm.  Any single one of our minor league pitchers are on the table for this trade IMO ('cept Alex Meyer).  I could live with this... Dempster for Lanan, Destin Hood, Pat Lehman and Robbie Ray.  I doubt any of these guys will make the Nats squad in the next 2-3 years.

Pushing it all the way this year would be the reason to get Dempster.

Hood and Ray is enough. Perhaps adding marginal arm that will end up being a bullpen guy. Lannan is useless to the Cubs. They're restocking their farm system, much like the Astros. Anything more than that, and it isn't worth it IMO.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #130: June 15, 2012, 04:08:10 PM »
not that its tough to beat up on the Red Sox right now (hey, the Marlins couldn't!), but Dempster through 6 has a shut out, 3 hits, 1 BB, and 3 Ks on 89 pitches.  In line for the win, up 3-0.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #131: June 15, 2012, 04:28:03 PM »
Michael Taylor/Goodwin/Hood and a pitcher or two?

Not for something that short term

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #132: June 15, 2012, 04:38:19 PM »
Not for something that short term

One fielder and a pitcher?

That's certainly fair compensation. I'm not saying four players for Dempster.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #133: June 15, 2012, 05:16:07 PM »
I thiught you were saying Hood Goodwin Taylor and a pitcher

Offline Slateman

« Reply #134: June 15, 2012, 05:44:31 PM »
I thiught you were saying Hood Goodwin Taylor and a pitcher

/ means or. They pick one. Frankly, Goodwin is off the table unless they take a really minor pitching prospect.

Hood or Taylor + Ray/Rosenbaum + C type pitching prospect (maybe) = Dempster

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #135: June 15, 2012, 07:46:50 PM »
Michael Taylor/Goodwin/Hood and a pitcher or two?

For just the rest of the season?  I'd want to extend him a few years if possible.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #136: June 15, 2012, 08:15:07 PM »
Our farm system is pretty barren at the top right now after the Gio trade. I'd leave it alone (or add) for now. I like the lower level talent but AA and AAA is.... Empty.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #137: June 15, 2012, 08:27:49 PM »
For just the rest of the season?  I'd want to extend him a few years if possible.

He's 35. I can live with the rest of the season.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #138: June 15, 2012, 08:35:50 PM »
Our farm system is pretty barren at the top right now after the Gio trade. I'd leave it alone (or add) for now. I like the lower level talent but AA and AAA is.... Empty.

I think in past years Moore and Lombo would be in aaa to get everyday time- now that the team is close, they are more valuable in the bigs, but it makes aaa look thin

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #139: June 15, 2012, 11:35:13 PM »
I have no interest in acquiring CF Span from the Twins.  CF's with zero power are a dime a dozen.  I wouldn't give them anything for him. We have Harper, Morse, Lombardozzi, Moore, and will get back Werth and Bernadina for the outfield, and have Ankiel. We don't need Span. 

Twins 3B/SS Trevor Plouffe hit 2 home runs tonight.  So that's now 5 HRs in 4 days, 7 HRs in 7 days, and 9 HRs in 12 games, 14 HRs in 146 ABs.  Zim-with-1-N has 3 HRs...

Maybe we can trade Ryan Zimmerman for Trevor Plouffe and the Twins' hitting coach... because Plouffe had NO indication that he could hit with this kind of power.

If the Nationals are interested in Greinke, Dempster or any other top pitcher, the other team will have to have a need for something we have to offer.  I don't think the Brewers are seeking a first baseman.

We will have September callups available for any playoff run, including pitchers. 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #140: June 15, 2012, 11:43:10 PM »
I have no interest in acquiring CF Span from the Twins.  CF's with zero power are a dime a dozen.  I wouldn't give them anything for him. We have Harper, Morse, Lombardozzi, Moore, and will get back Werth and Bernadina for the outfield, and have Ankiel. We don't need Span. 

Twins 3B/SS Trevor Plouffe hit 2 home runs tonight.  So that's now 5 HRs in 4 days, 7 HRs in 7 days, and 9 HRs in 12 games, 14 HRs in 146 ABs.  Zim-with-1-N has 3 HRs...

Maybe we can trade Ryan Zimmerman for Trevor Plouffe and the Twins' hitting coach... because Plouffe had NO indication that he could hit with this kind of power.

(Image removed from quote.)

If the Nationals are interested in Greinke, Dempster or any other top pitcher, the other team will have to have a need for something we have to offer.  I don't think the Brewers are seeking a first baseman.

We will have September callups available for any playoff run, including pitchers. 

Ba ha ha ha ... no power .... Span is OPSing .751 and playing gold glove defense. That pwns all our outfielders  except Harper.  We'd have Span till 2015. Great leadoff hitter. Get's on base. Steals bases. Scores from first on extra base hits. Plays gold glove defense. Definitely something worth getting.

This team doesn't lack power. It lacks on base percentage.

The Twins can't afford Zimmerman. They can't afford the contracts they have now.

The Brewers AREN'T looking for a first baseman? They can move Hart to RF. Again. They also could use some middle infield help.

And who do we have that we can call up? John Lannan?

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #141: June 15, 2012, 11:46:56 PM »
It would be a mistake to give up on Zimmerman this early. It's hard to keep in mind because he's been here since the beginning but he's only 27, technically just entering his prime. Besides, doesn't he have a no trade clause?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #142: June 15, 2012, 11:49:55 PM »
It would be a mistake to give up on Zimmerman this early. It's hard to keep in mind because he's been here since the beginning but he's only 27, technically just entering his prime. Besides, doesn't he have a no trade clause?

He does. We're not trading Zimmerman

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #143: June 16, 2012, 11:31:31 AM »
It would be a mistake to give up on Zimmerman this early.

What muttonhead is giving up on Zimmerman? Somebody must have been dropped too many times as a baby.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #144: June 16, 2012, 11:33:16 AM »
What muttonhead is giving up on Zimmerman? Somebody must have been dropped too many times as a baby.

Only the SF types. I just  want him dropped to 6th or 7th in the order. Let him regain his swing, then hit him higher.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #145: June 18, 2012, 10:27:14 PM »
The Cubs placed SP Ryan Dempster on the 15-day disabled list Monday with tightness in his right lat muscle, the Chicago Tribune reports.
Spin:Dempster has apparently been pitching through the soreness for a couple starts, but he showed no indication of being hurt while tossing 22 consecutive scoreless innings. The Cubs don't believe Dempster's injury is serious, but with the team considering moving him this summer, the injury does at least delay those plans. Still, if Dempster is activated after missing just the 15 days, the Cubs should still have plenty of time to pull the trigger on a trade if they choose to.

Sorry, Chief, your WNFF
fantasy team will be without him

Offline deeznatz

• http://www.amorica.org
« Reply #146: June 18, 2012, 10:33:50 PM »
The Nats will not shut down Strasburg this year.

If we're in it at the end, Strasburg will be on the bump.

Yep.  It amazes me that people actually believe they are going to shut him down when we are in a close race for the NL East.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #147: June 18, 2012, 10:34:12 PM »
We're not buyers. We should be looking to move Morse or LaRoche in an effort to get Tyler Moore in to the lineup

Offline Slateman

« Reply #148: June 18, 2012, 10:35:10 PM »
Yep.  It amazes me that people actually believe they are going to shut him down when we are in a close race for the NL East.

I dunno ... Maybe because that's what Davey Johnson and Mike Rizzo have been saying since last year?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #149: June 18, 2012, 10:35:51 PM »

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: