Author Topic: DFA Nady  (Read 2092 times)

Offline Once an Expos Fan

• Nos Amours
DFA Nady
« Topic Start: June 10, 2012, 11:31:40 PM »
Please no more.

Offline Bloo

Re: DFA Nady
« Reply #1: June 10, 2012, 11:33:04 PM »
Huh?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #2: June 10, 2012, 11:45:08 PM »
We can't get that lucky. We need veteran presence!!!

DFA Nady, call up Brown.

Offline santanaf

« Reply #3: June 11, 2012, 12:14:47 AM »
But the catch! That at least gets him 5 more days hanging around the dugout.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #4: June 11, 2012, 06:46:42 AM »
I'm surprised it took this long for someone to start a thread on this

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #5: June 11, 2012, 09:54:55 AM »
Chris Marrero is rehabbing right now but I bet he takes Tyler Moore's place and Moore goes back to the minors.

I agree that I'd rather have Brown than Nady. 

When do Werth and Tracy come back?  I guess they'd replace Nady and Bernadina?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #6: June 11, 2012, 10:06:02 AM »
Chris Marrero is rehabbing right now but I bet he takes Tyler Moore's place and Moore goes back to the minors.

I agree that I'd rather have Brown than Nady. 

When do Werth and Tracy come back?  I guess they'd replace Nady and Bernadina?

Doubtful on Marrero. He's never going to get a shot to be anything more than a trade chip in DC. Also Marrero is strictly a 1B. And a backup 1B isn't something the Nats need right now. They need versatility off the bench.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #7: June 11, 2012, 10:14:05 AM »
I don't think Moore takes away the HR in Fenway. Doubt Corey Brown does, either. Not yet. Marrero will be one-too-many 1B when he gets back to Syracuse if Moore is still there. Nats have LaRoche and Morse.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #8: June 11, 2012, 10:20:36 AM »
I don't think Moore takes away the HR in Fenway. Doubt Corey Brown does, either. Not yet. Marrero will be one-too-many 1B when he gets back to Syracuse if Moore is still there. Nats have LaRoche and Morse.

Yeah but there's a lot more to fielding than taking a waist high wall at quarter-speed.  You gotta look at the full skill set. 

Moore is a newbie at outfielding, but he's not here for his glove.  Brown is almost certainly going to show greater range than Nady, and he's going to offer significantly upgraded offensive skills most likely.  I wish Nady were producing but he's not really getting it done.

Nady and Moore bat R, Brown L, but batting R is of no consequence if you're not hitting even with opportunities selected to optimize effectiveness.  I'd like to see Brown given the job.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #9: June 11, 2012, 10:33:41 AM »
Nady and Moore bat R, Brown L, but batting R is of no consequence if you're not hitting even with opportunities selected to optimize effectiveness.  I'd like to see Brown given the job.

Me too, but I'd also like to see Moore given the job over Nady.  Given the choices Davey's made on that, though, I'd prefer Brown stay down in AAA and play every day.  Unless they actually do what the post says and DFA him.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #10: June 11, 2012, 12:32:42 PM »
It's an interesting situation, having  Moore, Brown and Werth alongside Harper, Bernadina, Ankiel, Morse, Nady and deRosa/  How do you make optimum use of them all?   Then there is the LaRoche option year decision coming up, where the factors will be AL, MM, Moore and Marrero. 

To me, it looks like 1)  Marrero gets traded soon
2) Brown replaces Nady soon

When Werth comes back, DeRosa is DFA.

Next year, it's LaRoche and Moore at first, Harper, Werth and Morse in outfield, with Brown and bernadina backups
(Moore can also be the righthanded outfielder against lefties).

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #11: June 11, 2012, 01:38:17 PM »
If Marrero plays a single game (more) for the Nats, something went horribly wrong...

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #12: June 11, 2012, 01:49:45 PM »
If Marrero plays a single game (more) for the Nats, something went horribly wrong...

Why?

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #13: June 11, 2012, 01:57:01 PM »
All of the better players ahead of him in line.  Specifically Morse, Moore and LaRoche.  I don't think Marrero has much of a future with the Nats or really any major league club because he lacks the power to play 1B.  I'd loved to be proved wrong when he gets a shot with another club.  The only way I see him getting another shot with the Nats tho is due to multiple injuries, so I hope it doesn't happen. 

Offline PC

« Reply #14: June 11, 2012, 02:01:21 PM »
Chris Marrero is 23 YEARS OLD and he's one of, if not, the best hitters (as far as putting the bat on the ball) in the organization.  He has a much better eye than either Desmond or Espinosa, probably Morse too.  His eye is Nick Johnson like, well maybe not that good but remember he's 23 YEARS OLD!

There is far more right with Marrero than wrong.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #15: June 11, 2012, 02:01:33 PM »
But when you think about it: LaRoche most likely won't be here next year. Morse will be playing 1st, I'm 80% sure. We'll probably have Harper and Werth in the OF. Hopefully they sign a CF like Bourn or something. Then, on the bench I can see them having Moore and Marrero. Since Moore has been playing a fair sure of OF, I can see them using him for that. If not, then I can see him take the spot of Marrero but Marrero would be nice to have on the bench since he does get a lot of singles.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #16: June 11, 2012, 02:13:22 PM »
I think we'll be stuck with Nady until Werth comes back sadly. I just hope we don't decide to keep starting him. I'd honestly rather see us with a platoon of Moore/Bernadina than trot Nady out too fail every time he comes up to bat.

Honestly a lineup of: (Lombo/Espinosa), Harper, Zim, Morse, LaRoche, Desmond, (Bernadina/Moore), Flores wouldn't be horrible.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #17: June 11, 2012, 02:51:50 PM »
Brown would have made that catch

Offline Hondo

« Reply #18: June 11, 2012, 03:04:36 PM »
Marlon Byrd anyone?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #19: June 11, 2012, 03:40:26 PM »

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #20: June 11, 2012, 03:53:23 PM »
But when you think about it: LaRoche most likely won't be here next year. Morse will be playing 1st, I'm 80% sure. We'll probably have Harper and Werth in the OF. Hopefully they sign a CF like Bourn or something. Then, on the bench I can see them having Moore and Marrero. Since Moore has been playing a fair sure of OF, I can see them using him for that. If not, then I can see him take the spot of Marrero but Marrero would be nice to have on the bench since he does get a lot of singles.

Good chance Espi/Lombo take at least one bench spot (or second+OF spot).  And if we are talking about next year what about Rendon?  Finally if Corey Brown keeps it up he needs a spot too.  So Marrero might be able to make the 25 man roster, but as PC emphatically points out Marrero is 23.  So the end of the bench doesn't seem like the right place for a guy like that. 

PC: I just don't get excited by a guy who supposedly can only play 1B, hasn't hit 20 HR since his first minor league season in 2007 in A-ball and has a best-season OPS of only .825. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #21: June 11, 2012, 04:59:34 PM »
I think LaRoche will either be traded or be back, that gives you LaRoche at first, morse in left (I could also see him as trade bait since he's relatively near to free agency and has moore/marrero/brown behind him) with Harper and Werth rounding out the outfield, the year after that (2014) LaRoche is gone, so slot in Moore, and morse is a free agent in 2015 (i think), but by then hood Rendon and who knows who else are making a push- I actually think we have enough LF/1b depth that a trade is the likely scenerio

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #22: June 11, 2012, 05:56:51 PM »
Chris Marrero is 23 YEARS OLD and he's one of, if not, the best hitters (as far as putting the bat on the ball) in the organization.  He has a much better eye than either Desmond or Espinosa, probably Morse too.  His eye is Nick Johnson like, well maybe not that good but remember he's 23 YEARS OLD!

There is far more right with Marrero than wrong.

Problem is, when he puts his bat on the ball, he doesn't hit it very far.  He's a so-so fielder at 1b.  Don't get me wrong, I think in the post-steroids era there's a place on a team for 1b who has OBP as his primary tool, but he really needs to maintain the .450 SLG at a minimum in order to be a useful MLB 1b.  I agree his age says there may be some projection left, but his power isn't coming in the way you'd expect.  Not a knock on the guy, but I just don't think he's going to turn into what people thought he might be on draft day.

Aside from that, I just don't think Marrero's a long-term fit for the Nats, much like I didn't think Norris was a long-term fit.  He's got enough value that he'll be attractive to somebody, and I think the way the Nats are constructed, they need a SLG guy at 1b, and preferably a lefty.  I think if he gets back and looks good in Syracuse, he could go at the deadline for something.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #23: June 11, 2012, 09:05:35 PM »
:spaz:

Hitting way better than Nady in Boston

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #24: June 11, 2012, 10:27:12 PM »
On a night when the Nats have 14 hits, Nady manages to look bad in his only at bat by grounding into a double play.

But with Bernie hurting now, Nady probably sticks around for a while longer.