Author Topic: Backyard critters  (Read 105695 times)

Offline 1995hoo

Re: Backyard critters
« Reply #725: August 03, 2014, 09:01:34 PM »
Tough one. Can you call the no-kill shelter (if there is one) and ask them for advise?

That's what I'm considering. I've wanted to give the neighborhood a chance to reply to the flyers, but it looks like that's not happening. So I may call the shelter whose number I found sometime later this week. Ms1995hoo doesn't want to trap it because she feels like it's just getting to trust us, although I pointed out it doesn't trust us at all because it always runs away!

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #726: August 03, 2014, 09:14:27 PM »
That's what I'm considering. I've wanted to give the neighborhood a chance to reply to the flyers, but it looks like that's not happening. So I may call the shelter whose number I found sometime later this week. Ms1995hoo doesn't want to trap it because she feels like it's just getting to trust us, although I pointed out it doesn't trust us at all because it always runs away!

It's testing you.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #727: August 03, 2014, 10:31:55 PM »
Stinky Moe showed up on our back porch one night a couple of years ago and even after feeding him wet cat food and providing a bed in our bulkhead for him, it took him over a month before he trusted us enough to be able to pet him.  It'll take time if that's your goal.

The cat is testing you, as mitlen said (it may also mean the cat is trying to adopt you).  I will add that in  New York State they say that once you feed the cat it's considered yours.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #728: August 04, 2014, 12:09:21 AM »
Stinky Moe showed up on our back porch one night a couple of years ago and even after feeding him wet cat food and providing a bed in our bulkhead for him, it took him over a month before he trusted us enough to be able to pet him.  It'll take time if that's your goal.

The cat is testing you, as mitlen said (it may also mean the cat is trying to adopt you).  I will add that in  New York State they say that once you feed the cat it's considered yours.
And by adopt, you mean enslave.

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #729: August 04, 2014, 12:41:36 AM »
A clean .22 will solve everyone's problem except the missus I guess.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #730: August 04, 2014, 07:43:34 AM »
A clean .22 will solve everyone's problem except the missus I guess.

I don't trust myself to own a gun. At some point when I were depressed or angry or whatever I'd probably point it at myself.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #731: August 04, 2014, 07:45:12 AM »
And by adopt, you mean enslave.

Better than the alternative.  Dogs are stupid.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #732: August 04, 2014, 08:50:22 AM »
It's testing you.

Testing us for what?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #733: August 04, 2014, 10:11:28 AM »
Testing us for what?

To see if it wants to adopt you.   It may have been neglected (it's loose and no one seems to care) and it wants to see if yunz are just more human trash.    To see if you're cool humans to adopt.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #734: August 04, 2014, 10:16:29 AM »
So it is OK to feed it without ever letting into the house? My wife is going to feed it whether I want her to or not because she feels it's not right to let that sort of animal go hungry.

Offline blue911

« Reply #735: August 04, 2014, 10:21:04 AM »
That cat looks in too good of shape to be feral.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #736: August 04, 2014, 10:22:16 AM »
So it is OK to feed it without ever letting into the house? My wife is going to feed it whether I want her to or not because she feels it's not right to let that sort of animal go hungry.

Looks like your wife answered the question for you.    :)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #737: August 04, 2014, 10:22:56 AM »

as long as you keep it up. Feeding it, then withdrawing the food after it gets used to it is probably worse than not feeding at all (if you can ever trap it, you might want to check if it's spayed neutered- a lot of places such as Washington humane society http://support.washhumane.org/site/PageServer?pagename=spayneuter will do it for cheap or free)

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #738: August 04, 2014, 11:34:14 AM »
as long as you keep it up. Feeding it, then withdrawing the food after it gets used to it is probably worse than not feeding at all (if you can ever trap it, you might want to check if it's spayed neutered- a lot of places such as Washington humane society http://support.washhumane.org/site/PageServer?pagename=spayneuter will do it for cheap or free)

Yeah, I agree it would be cruel to do that. As far as the latter issue about trapping it goes, we'll see. Ms1995hoo is concerned that letting it build up a level of trust in us but then turning around and trapping it would cause it to turn on us. I have no idea if that's true because I don't know much about cats, but I would like to know whether it's been "fixed" because I'm not all that keen on the idea of the neighborhood winding up with a litter of stray cats if there's another one of the opposite sex out there.

It was out on the deck this morning when I first went downstairs (previously, it's come in the afternoon) and it didn't jump across to our neighbors' deck when I went outside with a bowl of some cat food, so maybe it's starting to lose its fear or distrust of us. Ms1995hoo thinks somebody may have abused it at some point in the past because its face looks downcast and its tail kind of droops down instead of looking lively.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #739: August 04, 2014, 12:09:52 PM »
Yeah, I agree it would be cruel to do that. As far as the latter issue about trapping it goes, we'll see. Ms1995hoo is concerned that letting it build up a level of trust in us but then turning around and trapping it would cause it to turn on us. I have no idea if that's true because I don't know much about cats, but I would like to know whether it's been "fixed" because I'm not all that keen on the idea of the neighborhood winding up with a litter of stray cats if there's another one of the opposite sex out there.

It was out on the deck this morning when I first went downstairs (previously, it's come in the afternoon) and it didn't jump across to our neighbors' deck when I went outside with a bowl of some cat food, so maybe it's starting to lose its fear or distrust of us. Ms1995hoo thinks somebody may have abused it at some point in the past because its face looks downcast and its tail kind of droops down instead of looking lively.

We trapped "Stinky Moe" and brought him in to have his nuts cut off so we could adopt him.  Two nights back outside in the cold of winter changed his mind and he's been living with us ever since.  They get over it and as long as you continue to feed him/her and extend the olive branch of peace he/she will come back around.  Cats make fantastic pets and I would highly recommend them over dogs.  Plus, if you take in a stray and prevent them from reproducing you're saving that cat's life as well as preventing the neglect of a whole bunch more.

If your wife's instincts are correct and the cat was abused it will take a lot of time to regain trust in humans.  It's going to take patience on your part and an understanding that there will be setbacks but that in the long-run the cat will appreciate all you've done.  It sounds like you're compassionate enough to do this - which is about 95% of the work already.  Sounds like you'd make a great human companion for this cat.  :clap:

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #740: August 12, 2014, 06:14:30 PM »
So today was the first really rainy day we've had since the cat started visiting and it (I think it's probably a "she," but I'm not positive) arrived right around the usual 6:00 PM looking extremely clean and dry. Seems to me it'd be odd for a cat living outdoors to be this clean and dry after the sort of rain we had today. Do you think I should consider printing out some more flyers in nearby neighborhoods (other than our own)? Or should I assume it belongs to someone, goes home each night, and just likes coming to our deck to be fed? Or none of the above? It still runs next door whenever I go outside and then comes back as soon as it hears I've closed the door.

Picture is a bit grainy due to zooming in while looking through a window.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #741: August 12, 2014, 06:21:30 PM »
Doesn't look feral, though it's not all that obvious when they're young.  I had a cat in Miami who did the rounds and got fed at several different houses before coming home each night. 

People really should stick a collar on their cat if they are going to let it roam around outside.  Cats picked up as strays here in DC have very little time to be claimed before they are put down. 

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #742: August 12, 2014, 06:31:24 PM »
So today was the first really rainy day we've had since the cat started visiting and it (I think it's probably a "she," but I'm not positive) arrived right around the usual 6:00 PM looking extremely clean and dry. Seems to me it'd be odd for a cat living outdoors to be this clean and dry after the sort of rain we had today. Do you think I should consider printing out some more flyers in nearby neighborhoods (other than our own)? Or should I assume it belongs to someone, goes home each night, and just likes coming to our deck to be fed? Or none of the above? It still runs next door whenever I go outside and then comes back as soon as it hears I've closed the door.

(Image removed from quote.)

The fact that it was dry might have meant it was just hunkered down somewhere during the rain. I think the flyer thing is a good idea. Also do you have a neighborhood webpage or listserv that you could post a pic of the cat on so she/he might be recognized? Unless you think the cat looks skinny or unhealthy it could be showing up for a free meal (I guess all their meals are free, lol). A friend's cat used to do this and eventually didn't come back. They never knew what happened to him. A vet should be able to wand it if it's chipped and tell you the owner. I think a lot of 'responsible' pet owners do this routinely now, so that might be an option if you do end up trapping the cat. Also, Homeagain (a chipmaker) sends out notices all the time of lost pets in your area, might be worth checking. Another thought is calling your local shelter to see if anyone is looking for a cat of that description, it really helps you have a pretty good facial pic.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #743: August 12, 2014, 07:19:11 PM »
My folks once convinced the next door neighbors' cat to adopt us.  Just constantly visiting, and it was separated by some woods.  my mom started to feed it, and eventually let it inside.  All was good for a year or so until one the neighbors were walking by and talking to me and my Dad, and he said "hey Chickenfeathers" to the cat we had been calling "Rover" (we named it that because Fido would have been a dog's name).  We get talking, and the neighbor had just assumed Chickenfeathers was out wandering and living outside.  i don't know if it was an outside cat to begin with.  Rover had a brother with the neighbors and I think they had a 3d cat, too, so the neighbors were cool with the cat being taken care of by us, and of course Rover would visit them and hang out with its brother.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #744: August 13, 2014, 10:58:53 AM »
Cats are really good at staying dry. He's picked out several places (cars, breezeways, overhangs, carports, whatever) under which to weather.

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #745: August 13, 2014, 05:06:32 PM »
The fact that it was dry might have meant it was just hunkered down somewhere during the rain. I think the flyer thing is a good idea. Also do you have a neighborhood webpage or listserv that you could post a pic of the cat on so she/he might be recognized? Unless you think the cat looks skinny or unhealthy it could be showing up for a free meal (I guess all their meals are free, lol). A friend's cat used to do this and eventually didn't come back. They never knew what happened to him. A vet should be able to wand it if it's chipped and tell you the owner. I think a lot of 'responsible' pet owners do this routinely now, so that might be an option if you do end up trapping the cat. Also, Homeagain (a chipmaker) sends out notices all the time of lost pets in your area, might be worth checking. Another thought is calling your local shelter to see if anyone is looking for a cat of that description, it really helps you have a pretty good facial pic.

No listserv, but I guess I could ask the lady at the HOA office who sends out the "What's Happening in Kingstowne" e-mails every Friday whether she could include something. Only thing is, I have no idea who subscribes, but I guess some are better than none.

I'll look into inquiring of local shelters. Good idea. Thanks for the suggestion. The Homeagain thing looks like you have to create an account, so I will investigate it more this weekend.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #746: August 13, 2014, 05:32:23 PM »
No listserv, but I guess I could ask the lady at the HOA office who sends out the "What's Happening in Kingstowne" e-mails every Friday whether she could include something. Only thing is, I have no idea who subscribes, but I guess some are better than none.

I'll look into inquiring of local shelters. Good idea. Thanks for the suggestion. The Homeagain thing looks like you have to create an account, so I will investigate it more this weekend.

local vets too if you want to expend the effort (there's always a chance the thing is chipped too- at least for my vet in Arlington, the first thing they do for a new pet is check for existing chips and the second is to heavily push you to get a chip)

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #747: September 28, 2014, 04:17:18 PM »
Heh....the poor little cat had just arrived looking for food when Souza made his catch today. We didn't have the windows open, but we screamed so loud the cat ran away in terror and has not yet returned.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #748: October 29, 2014, 10:03:04 PM »
For all you New Jersey lovers, a couple of bears duking it out in an otherwise nice neighborhood about an hour NW of Manhattan.

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/10/29/video-shows-two-bears-fighting-in-new-jersey-neighborhood/20985983/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmaing15%7Cdl21%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D554490

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #749: October 30, 2014, 09:47:09 AM »
My sister puts the trash out no more than 15 minutes before the truck comes. If she doesn't, the bears are on it. (Rockaway, where the video was filmed, is minutes from her house.)

For all you New Jersey lovers, a couple of bears duking it out in an otherwise nice neighborhood about an hour NW of Manhattan.

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/10/29/video-shows-two-bears-fighting-in-new-jersey-neighborhood/20985983/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmaing15%7Cdl21%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D554490