Author Topic: Gameday Thread: Nats @ Phils, Game 3  (Read 40441 times)

Offline esoteric

Gameday Thread: Nats @ Phils, Game 3
« Reply #200: July 10, 2005, 07:52:09 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
Quote from: "Senators2005"
All due respect to Montreal and the fans Ken...but I personally think the Expos logo sucked.  Looks like a someone spelling out the world "ELB" in a 70s hippie font or something.

You aren't the only one who thought the Expos logo, as well as their name stunk... I think the Expos logo was among the ugliest logos in professional sports. The nae they chose is just as bad... Worse even

The name always seemed like a mind-bogglingly bad decision.  I mean, wasn't it tied to some particular transient event (a Montreal Exposition, some kind of world's fair) or something like that?  After all, I seriously doubt their team name was chosen as a tribute to the usefulness of explanatory narratives.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #201: July 10, 2005, 08:35:48 PM »
Because of Jean Drapeau's, the then mayor of Montreal success with "his" Expo 67 (1967 Worlds Fair) they (mistakenly) chose the name Expos. Why is anybody's guess, maybe they thought the name Expos would continue to be lucky...

letsgonats91

« Reply #202: July 10, 2005, 09:40:44 PM »
We're blowing everything! Damn, sometimes it's like watching the Redskins play. One minute they have a good lead, the next minute, it's over! It gets so friggin' annoying, you just want to rip your hair out.

Well, at least we're still on top of the NL Divison going into the All-Star Break.

Offline esoteric

« Reply #203: July 10, 2005, 09:43:30 PM »
Because of Jean Drapeau's, the then mayor of Montreal success with "his" Expo 67 (1967 Worlds Fair) they (mistakenly) chose the name Expos. Why is anybody's guess, maybe they thought the name Expos would continue to be lucky...

Jean Drapeau!  Now THERE's a name I never thought I'd hear again outside of Quebecois history books.  

Man, that naming decision is the sort of thing that can curse a ballclub right outta the gate.  Like naming our team the "Washington Judicial Filibusters."

Although I'll admit I was disappointed that we didn't call the team the Washington Insiders.  Think about it - once they started doing good (this was cock-eyed speculation back when I floated the name idea, but look who's sorry now!), people would have started referring to them as "the powerful Washington Insiders."

Okay, if you're a Beltway political wonk, it's funny.

Offline eddiejc1

• http://www.femfour.com
« Reply #204: July 10, 2005, 09:51:18 PM »
Quote from: "Senators2005"
All due respect to Montreal and the fans Ken...but I personally think the Expos logo sucked.  Looks like a someone spelling out the world "ELB" in a 70s hippie font or something.

You aren't the only one who thought the Expos logo, as well as their name stunk... I think the Expos logo was among the ugliest logos in professional sports. The nae they chose is just as bad... Worse even

In all due fairness, MLB probably did not think of putting a team in Montr?al until the 1967 World's Fair, or as it is officially called, the World Exposition. That is also probably when the city was preparing its bid to host the Games of  the XXIst Olympiad. So the name did have a point. Besides, "Canadiens" was already taken! (So was "Royals" since Kansas City got an expansion team to replace the Athletics the same year the Expos came into existence.)

Eddie Cunningham