Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Thread  (Read 62062 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: Skyrim Thread
« Reply #325: November 27, 2011, 12:02:26 PM »
Alright.  Is this sometihng that's worth playing on XBox or PS3? 

It's great on Xbox. Chief's screencaps have me jealous, though.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #326: November 27, 2011, 12:51:52 PM »
obed you can bind spells to 1-8.  first you have to favorite them in the inventory by hovering and hitting F, then pull up the favorites menu with Q, hover over the spell (or item or weapon) you want to hot key and hit a number.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #327: November 27, 2011, 12:53:16 PM »
Alright.  Is this sometihng that's worth playing on XBox or PS3? 

I think you would be fine playing it on either console. I have it for my XBOX 360.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #328: November 27, 2011, 12:54:29 PM »
There is also quite a lot of useful information in the in-game help menu.  It covers just about everything.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #329: November 27, 2011, 01:06:21 PM »
I may have had a late start but I started with a marathon. :mg:

After one long continous game yesterday, I have gone from zero to half way through level 8. I am quite happy with that considering it is the first time I have played this series. I also went the mage route, High Elf with all perks on destruction, and a few unallocated that I am uncertain what to use them on for now. I have recently bought several spellbooks so I have something else to try out. Any suggestions areas of focus for perks or it generally advisable to be patient?

All depends on what you want to do.  The game soft caps around level 50 and hard caps around 80, so at the very most you have 80 perk points, but since leveling slows way down after 50, it's probably better to think of having 50 perk points.  As there are over 200 total perks, you can't get everything.  I could offer plenty of opinions of what I have and haven't found useful so far, but even at level 38 I'm still finding my mind being changed about skills and perks I'd previously dismissed, so I'd rather not ramble on here.  I'll hit you up on Steam though.

The game is immersive enough I regret accidently killing my companion NPC (Faendal). He helps me out gets killed for his trouble and loses his girl to that Elf hating Sven.  Granted not enough to stop me from looting his house with his key. Fortunately for me, I nearly completed my archery training with him, granted I rarely actually use a bow. A loophole which I am sure others have noticed is that you can train and reclaim your gold. For some reason, this didn't bother me although I skipped the putting pots and baskets on people's heads loophole. :mg:

I actually killed the chicken in Riverwood and then killed all four of the people who attacked me as a result, so I never got to know the person you mention :lol:

I've been a (mostly) law-abiding citizen since then though :halo:

The quest I completed after the default one was The Golden Claw variation of Bleak Falls Barrow, although I did it offline so no achievement for me. :devil: or as I am beginning to suspect becasue I have not yet done Enter the Court Wizard.  I ended up wandering around for quite awhile after inadventantly setting a custom destination. Silly n00b, if it is blue and flashing it must be my quest and must be some kind of puzzle. :doh: In the Bleak Falls Barrow quest, it took me three trys to figure out how to kill the Draugr Overlord. After Faendal got killed, it slowed me down for awhile.

You may have already discovered this on your own but you can enable/disable quest map markers in the journal (hotkeys (M)ap and (J)ournal), including the individual quests under the misc. category.

As somone new to the game, I initially enjoyed Alchemy (nice to wander around and collect plants) and to a lesser extent Smithing/Forging but as time goes by it seems to be inverting itself. For alchemy, the fail button comes up too often for me, so I suspect I need to get over my reluctance to look up potion combinations on the web. It would be nice if you could get tips like making other things. Granted, I have not seen anyplace yet to enchant anything.

The Alchemy interface will grey out combinations you've already tried if they failed, and also categorizes any potions you've made and their respective ingredients on the left, so trial-and-error should yield results within a reasonable timeframe.  Once you've discovered effects, they remain visible on those ingredients for good.  Alchemy shops also sell potion recipes.  Personally I have resisted looking on the web as I find it feels cheap, but furterhmore I've noticed that most of the "good" ingredients are rare enough that it wouldn't do you much good anyway.  It's much more satisfying to find a reliable source of a particular valuable ingredient and then make a personal note of it.

But to each their own of course, I'm just set in my 80's RPG ways :lol: :cheers:

Feel free to add me to Steam chat by removing the spaces in the following T h o m 2 0 2. Feel free to pass on to other WNFF folks if they are looking for others.

I got a search result for that and for your alias here...  which one should I add?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #330: November 27, 2011, 01:09:41 PM »
Um, what the hell is that?

Dragon crotch.  He landed right on top of me as I was hitting the inventory key.

It's great on Xbox. Chief's screencaps have me jealous, though.

I haven't played the console versions but all the comparisons I've seen are surprisingly close.  You can tell the PC version is best, but I don't think it would really change the game for me.  I could never live without hotkeys though.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #331: November 27, 2011, 01:15:26 PM »
Hotkeys would be nice.

With alchemy, just eat the ingredients to get the first effect of that ingredient. Then you can easily pair things and gradually learn the other effects. I never brew something until after I've eaten it. I'm actually surprised people are taking the time to do trial and error.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #332: November 27, 2011, 01:20:24 PM »
Hotkeys would be nice.

With alchemy, just eat the ingredients to get the first effect of that ingredient. Then you can easily pair things and gradually learn the other effects. I never brew something until after I've eaten it. I'm actually surprised people are taking the time to do trial and error.

Yeah, forgot about the eating thing.  I didn't even know about it myself until level 15 or so :lol:

I take the time because it levels your Alchemy skill, potions are worth a lot more than the individual ingredients if you choose to sell them, and I've always had a soft spot for Alchemy in previous Elder Scrolls games because of what a powerful and diverse skill it can be - very useful to any character type.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #333: November 27, 2011, 01:48:46 PM »
The help had some interesting tidbits. :mg:

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #334: November 27, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
Finally got 1-8 remapped and remaining between game restarts.

After finding numerouse incomplete or faulty instructions I finally stumbled across something that works. To do so, I did the following:
1. In Program Files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\ set tesv.exe to "Run as Administrator".
2. In Program Files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\ set skyrimlauncher.exe to "Run as Administrator".
3. Go online in the steam client.
4. Start skyrimlauncher.exe from the Program Files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\ directory.
5. Press I for inventory or press P for magic. Add at least 8 powers, items, spells, etc. to your favorites.
6. Type Q to display the favorites menu, mouse over the item, click a number 1-8.
7. Save and quit to desktop.
8. Use normally, favorites will remain. To equip both hands, press button twice in rapid succession.

From what I read, keybindings are administrator owned games files so the permissions are needed to save them. :spaz:

For now, I have bound the following, for use with my Razor Naga (mouse with 12 side buttons).

1. Flames
2. Frostbite
3. Sparks
4. Oakflesh
5. Healing
6. Highborn
7. Fury
8. Raise Zombie
9-12. do not function. Hopefully somone can implament a power tray mod.

Eventually I will likely drop some kind of two handed melee weapon or potions (if I can find powerful enough ones) in there but I am trying out these various spells as they are new to me.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #335: November 27, 2011, 02:27:29 PM »
Yeah obed, I don't think that is your steam ID:lol:

MDS, 360 or PS3 would be fine.  You should really check out the game.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #336: November 27, 2011, 02:30:30 PM »
It is Obed_Marsh.  :-[  Sorry.

I am surprised there is an account name and a seperate profile name.

After learning from here and the help file that I can taste the ingrediants, I no longer have any interest in looking them up online. So much better when you read the instructions or people tell you to RTFM. :mg:

That custom destinations part of the map is a really clunky UI in my opinion, the idea that you perform the same action that you use to add a new custom destination as you use to delete an existing one is not particularly intutive. Click someplace else, click X, choose Delete, huh? Granted now that I figured it out and now I don't care.

One plus of the late start is to be able to learn from the experiences of others: don't kill the chicken without the kill the children mod, beware of bears, etc. :D

Weird question, anybody find a tropical beach locale in Skyrim? I could use some sun and the weather ain't obliging.  8)

Offline Nathan

« Reply #337: November 27, 2011, 02:46:45 PM »
I also think I know why you didn't get the achievement for Bleak Falls Barrow.  there is a quest in Dragonsreach that also sends you there.  You'll be ok if you picked up the dragon stone.  If not you'll have to go back.

Also, outside Whiterun is the Whiterun Stables.  You can't all to the guy sitting in the carriage and he will take you to some of the major holds for a fee.  Once you know a location, it is white on your map instead of black.  You can click on white locations to instantly fast travel there (time will still progress in game).  Helpful for going back places like Bleak Falls Barrow for that stone you missed  lol

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #338: November 27, 2011, 02:52:13 PM »
While I was tempted to take the cowardly way out, my inner Scappy Do took over.

So I backpedled through various enviornments firing at range and dropped a fireball scroll on him when he started to wear me down so my dragon stone is just waiting for the quest.

A useful lesson from other people's experience is that if you want acheivement, play online. I am not sure I do but have a tendancy to try to fix any bug I encounter. :?

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #339: November 27, 2011, 02:54:13 PM »
Weird question, anybody find a tropical beach locale in Skyrim? I could use some sun and the weather ain't obliging.  8)

Funny. I was at Dawnstar doing some quests. The snow was really coming down there. I ended up heading towards Solitude, where the weather really started to let up. I actually felt relieved to be out of the blowing snow. I've rarely had a videogame make me feel like that.  :)

Offline Nathan

« Reply #340: November 27, 2011, 03:01:09 PM »
While I was tempted to take the cowardly way out, my inner Scappy Do took over.

So I backpedled through various enviornments firing at range and dropped a fireball scroll on him when he started to wear me down so my dragon stone is just waiting for the quest.

A useful lesson from other people's experience is that if you want acheivement, play online. I am not sure I do but have a tendancy to try to fix any bug I encounter. :?
The bleak falls barrow achieve is for the quest of that name, not just completing the dungeon.  Pretty positive you'll still get it :thumbs:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #341: November 27, 2011, 03:21:06 PM »
From what I read, keybindings are administrator owned games files so the permissions are needed to save them. :spaz:

Funny, I never ran into that, but that's because I run as an admin on my home machine :-[ :halo:

Also, you should have a Steam friend request from me.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #342: November 27, 2011, 03:22:32 PM »

I haven't found any tropical beaches, but the Area around Riften is nice - sort of a "leaves changing" autumnal setting.  Solitude seemed nice too, from what I could tell by my one trip there thus far.  There are steam springs in the area due south of Windhelm if you follow the road for a ways.  I even ran across some random NPCs doing the spa thing in one of the springs :lol:

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #343: November 27, 2011, 03:24:16 PM »
Can you do coop quests on Xbox live?

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #344: November 27, 2011, 03:24:22 PM »
Also, you should have a Steam friend request from me.

Cool. Should be approved. I hoped it was you or someone here. Time to get cracking on my chores and errands so I can get back to Skyrim. :mg: :thumbs:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #345: November 27, 2011, 03:25:02 PM »
Can you do coop quests on Xbox live?

'fraid not.  Elder Scrolls has always been strictly a single-player Franchise.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #346: November 27, 2011, 03:28:08 PM »
Thats cool.  I might have to add this to the Chrisnukkah Amazon list.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #347: November 27, 2011, 04:03:31 PM »
Thats cool.  I might have to add this to the Chrisnukkah Amazon list.

It's a pretty sweet game, d00d.  You can be a dark elf shooting lightning and hellfire from your fists of fury, a Nordic warrior with an ax and a shield, an orc beserker with a big ass war hammer, a sneaky kahjiit that goes around pilfering people's homes and assassinating them while they sleep, an expert archer wood elf, or anything in between or any other combinations of things.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #348: November 27, 2011, 04:25:15 PM »
Ah...the joys of being a werewolf.  :lol:

I had a curse put on me in a quest that I was doing. It did some strange things to my ability to change into a werewolf.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #349: November 27, 2011, 04:29:14 PM »
Towns are being attacked?

:lmao: