Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Eury Perez, CF  (Read 22566 times)

Offline aspenbubba

Re: Follow the Prospects: Eury Perez, CF
« Reply #125: August 08, 2012, 04:50:52 PM »
Flores was doing great the year he got hurt. He was a Rule V acquisition. Suzuki, at what point in his career ,Bernie ( I hate to bring him up after last night),this is a young team  ( youngest in baseball) so they are all too early to judge. What about Moore and are we forgetting late bloomers like Werth and Morse?

Maybe we should look up BP and find out where all the players were rated the year they were drafted. I think I remember having this discussion years ago with TT and he said that probably only 15 % of first rounders make the show and stick.

Detwiler was a first rounder and it took him 5 years to contribute.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #126: August 08, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »
if you consider Flores a success, then who on the 25 man isn't living up to expectations when drafted by the Nats or traded for when they were prospects?

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #127: August 08, 2012, 05:07:33 PM »
if you consider Flores a success, then who on the 25 man isn't living up to expectations when drafted by the Nats or traded for when they were prospects?

I don't consider him a success. I said he was doing great up until he got hurt. Also , the last chapter hasn't been written on his career.He may not recover his previous success or he may. We just don't know. Would you consider Espinosa a success ? Right now he is servicable but most on this site were calling for him to be demoted or at best have Lombo take over as recently as several months ago.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #128: August 08, 2012, 05:12:44 PM »
I'd call Flores a failure and Espinoza a success given your criteria (expectation when drafted) since serviceable major leaguer is definately meeting expectations for a third round draft pick

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #129: August 08, 2012, 06:07:32 PM »
Danny Espinosa is most definitely a success, even if he's not always appreciated here. He's on pace to have over 7 WAR after his first two full seasons in the show.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #130: August 08, 2012, 06:59:06 PM »
Yeah jeez, what more do you want from Danny Espinosa? Since when was a 3-3.5 win player merely "serviceable"? He strikes out too much, we get it.

How often do you get a player who can put up a league average offensive profile while being able to play a plus 2B and SS, who's costing the team $500,000 a year? It's not sexy, but it's quite valuable.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #131: August 24, 2012, 12:11:56 PM »
Still loving Eury Perez! Hitting .341/.387/.394 in 34 games (132 ABs) in AAA. Already has more walks than he did in 351 ABs in AA. Also has 17 steals.

I think he has a future in this organization as a valuable bench player.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #132: August 24, 2012, 03:09:23 PM »
September call-up, perhaps?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #133: August 24, 2012, 03:56:22 PM »
speculation on that in rotographs portion of fangraphs today.  He's be a pinch runner / defense piece. One thing that distinguishes him from other low walk guys inour system is that he also is a low K guy.

Offline Hogie

« Reply #134: August 24, 2012, 04:04:17 PM »

Baby Shark

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #135: August 24, 2012, 05:39:13 PM »
hahahahahahahahahahaha

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #136: August 25, 2012, 04:46:58 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Baby Shark
All jokes aside, I pointed out somewhere (maybe this thread, maybe Clubhouse) that I can see him being a right handed complement to Bernie as a backup OF next season as early as the All-Star Break. He is a different player than Bernadina, but he profiles well as a backup OF.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #137: August 25, 2012, 04:47:39 PM »
speculation on that in rotographs portion of fangraphs today.  He's be a pinch runner / defense piece. One thing that distinguishes him from other low walk guys inour system is that he also is a low K guy.
He'll be a callup. If he comes up and can be competitive at the plate in limited chances, I'll say right now I think he'll give the Nats a spark as a pinch runner and maybe defensive replacement

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #138: August 25, 2012, 06:54:13 PM »
http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index.php/nl-playoff-push-prospects-mining-the-minors/

Eury Perez, OF (AAA): More of a fill-in outfielder than a starting center fielder on a team that has hopes of contending for years to come, Perez, 22, makes up for a total lack of power by making contact (14% K rate) and running (52 SBs per since 2010). A possible defensive replacement/pinch-runner in September.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #139: September 16, 2012, 01:33:40 PM »
If Perez makes contact, steals bases, takes walks (not seen yet), covers ground...and hits .300, then he's a starter. I'll start calling him Brett Gardner.

Low-power hitters? How about Ty Cobb, Sam Rice, and Maury Wills. Walking Maury was like giving up a double. Rice hit about .325 until the Nats benched him because he could no longer move fast enough in the OF. He was about 43. And Cobb?  If only...

I don't expect that Perez is a combination of Cobb, Rice, and Wills: point is you don't need power to win games.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #140: September 16, 2012, 03:02:42 PM »
Well, in order for any of that to happen, Davey has to let him hit ...

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #141: September 16, 2012, 06:16:23 PM »
Because he is in the majors now, this thread is locked.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #142: August 04, 2013, 01:05:10 PM »
Blue911 mentioned Perez's good number v LHP this year and suggested he might be a good
 /
/
====================================
\
  \

for Span.  While it is only 96 PAs, he is .362 / .375 / .553 this year.  Over his career, in 406 PAs, he's .332 /.357/.416 .

I know Span has had problems with lefites this year, but historically he has been able to handle them.  Were the nats to call up Perez to share time with Span, it would mean cutting one of Hairston or Bernie, so I don't see this happening.  I think Hairston is here for righty pop, and I don't see the team souring on him before 9/1 when Perez rosters expand.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #143: August 04, 2013, 02:09:07 PM »
Blue911 mentioned Perez's good number v LHP this year and suggested he might be a good
 /
/
====================================
\
  \

for Span.  While it is only 96 PAs, he is .362 / .375 / .553 this year.  Over his career, in 406 PAs, he's .332 /.357/.416 .

I know Span has had problems with lefites this year, but historically he has been able to handle them.  Were the nats to call up Perez to share time with Span, it would mean cutting one of Hairston or Bernie, so I don't see this happening.  I think Hairston is here for righty pop, and I don't see the team souring on him before 9/1 when Perez rosters expand.
How many of those are bunts?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #144: August 04, 2013, 02:10:15 PM »
A successful bunt is a hit.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #145: August 04, 2013, 05:54:56 PM »
dunno. 4 homers and 10 doubles, though, and .553 SLG.  Don't think you put up a .190+ ISO just on bunts.

:rofl:

Offline Slateman

« Reply #146: August 04, 2013, 06:51:26 PM »
Small sample size is small. Perez has shown nothing at the big league level

Offline PC

« Reply #147: August 04, 2013, 07:23:57 PM »
Perez should be called up tonight and Bernadina should be DFA'd.  There are too many lame left handed bats on this roster.  Replacing Bernadina with Perez loses nothing.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #148: August 04, 2013, 08:55:30 PM »
Small sample size is small. Perez has shown nothing at the big league level
Certainly you can ignore his major league stats, and I would like more than 95 PAs against opposite hand hitters to project anything.  That said, it is clear that Span is struggling against lefties at this point.  If Perez can just make Lombo-like contact against lefties (slightly above average), his speed should get him on. 

Truth is, I'm not really a fan of slappy hitters #1 or #2 in the order. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #149: August 04, 2013, 09:21:17 PM »
Perez should be called up tonight and Bernadina should be DFA'd.  There are too many lame left handed bats on this roster.  Replacing Bernadina with Perez loses nothing.
Hate to rag on Bernie but at this point I agree. I would rather Kobernus or Perez getting ABs. Bernie has probably reached his peak. Time to get a younger player in his spot.