Author Topic: seeing dukes in a nationals uniform gives me chills of excitement!  (Read 18166 times)

Offline ronnynat

Barry Bonds, Jose Canseco, Alfonso Soriano, Alex Rodrigues, Bobby Bonds, Willie Mays, Ron Gant, and Sammy Sosa take issue with this statement.

Bo knows he's on that list, too. :D

Offline eagleskins

• BANNED FOREVER
Jeff Francouer.  Has just as much power.  WAY more athletic than Dukes.  A hell of a lot faster than Dukes.  And this is just our division.  Dukes is decent, but in no way is he a freak athlete.  He has average MLB speed, above average power, average fielding, below average hitting. 

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
HELLO!!!
Still waiting to here what the freak this is all about??
Dont sissy away from the question punk

I like your new sig much, much better... :thumbs:

MrMadison

Bo knows he's on that list, too. :D

How could I forget Bo Jackson.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Jeff Francouer.  Has just as much power.  WAY more athletic than Dukes.  A hell of a lot faster than Dukes.  And this is just our division.  Dukes is decent, but in no way is he a freak athlete.  He has average MLB speed, above average power, average fielding, below average hitting. 
I disagree about average speed and below average hitting.  I don't know where you got that.  I think I'll take John Sickles's opinion over yours.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
If anyone gets the boot in the outfield, it will be Wily Mo. He's done zippy at the plate when I've seen him.

Chalk one up for the merit of stats vs. anecdotal observation.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Here's an offensive chart for Dukes:

And comparable one for Francouer:

These are from Baseball Prospectus and are intended to reflect current abilities.  They give advantage Francouer by a wide margin on hitting for average, but Dukes is superior in each of the other 4 categories - slight edge in power, and big advantage in walk rate, strikeout rate, and speed. 

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Some people really believe BP is the New Testament of baseball :rofl:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

I think I've got Air Zimmerman on my side now.   :lol:  uh, er,    :?    :-[

Offline spidernat

I think I've got Air Zimmerman on my side now.   :lol:  uh, er,    :?    :-[

You may have just converted him into a disciple with the BP gospel.

Offline eagleskins

• BANNED FOREVER
Sorry, but Dukes is nowhere near as fast as Franceour.  He ran a 4.4 out of high school, was the best player in Georgia and a top 5 football prospect. 

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
Sorry, but Dukes is nowhere near as fast as Franceour.  He ran a 4.4 out of high school, was the best player in Georgia and a top 5 football prospect. 

dukes was named usa today's best two sport high school athlete in the country. he was one of the best outside linebackers in the country.

dukes athleticism >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ______________________________ (fill in any players name in blank)

Offline nats2playoffs

There will probably be a Tom Hanks' Da Vinci Code Version of Baseball Prospectus, which purists will decry as a Hollywood ripoff created just to make money.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Air Zimmerman's hyperboly notwithstanding, both of them are terrific two sport athletes, and Dukes was in fact highly recruited to play football as well.  Just a hunch, but I bet you haven't really taken the time to compare the two of them honestly and objectively. 

EDIT:  Here's a brief excerpt from the Wiki article on Dukes, supporting the contention that he was a gifted two-sport athlete.

Dukes attended Hillsborough High School as a senior, after spending his first three years of high school at Jefferson High School. He was a four-year letterman in football and baseball. In football, as a junior, he started at both tailback and middle linebacker, was named a Class 3A All-State selection as a linebacker, and rushed for over a thousand yards on offense.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
dukes athleticism >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> __Mathew LeCroy_________________ (fill in any players name in blank)

I thought of one.

Offline mikehughes

Sorry.  Yurenell De Caster is amazing.  I take it back.

You do know De Caster has like no speed right?

Offline spidernat

:rofl:  You sort of proved his point.

• pissy DC sports fan
I thought of one.
:rofl:
Did I say he had speed?  Frankly, I don't know squat about De Caster, nor do I give a damn.  He was a minor league free agent for a reason.  You like crappy players.

Offline mikehughes

:rofl:  You sort of proved his point.

Hows that?
I like De Caster and most the guys I like are not cuz of speed, id like to see the post that gave him that idea cuz he is saying I have some crush on speed?

Offline mikehughes

:rofl:Did I say he had speed?  Frankly, I don't know squat about De Caster, nor do I give a damn.  He was a minor league free agent for a reason.  You like crappy players.

Ok but that wasnt the question explain what you meant by me having a hard on for speed, come on go ahead

• pissy DC sports fan
So you like Willie Harris and Roger Bernadina for their incredible batting eye/power combo?  Duly noted.

Offline mikehughes

So you like Willie Harris and Roger Bernadina for their incredible batting eye/power combo?  Duly noted.

Willie Harris can play like any position and is really athletic have u ever seen that catch he made last year DAMMNN thats what made me like him, and I never said Benadina I liked as a favorite, I just like him somewhat after he hit 300 and I heard he could be centerfielder last year. Dully noted. AHAHAHAHA

Offline spidernat

Sorry.  Yurenell De Caster is amazing.  I take it back.

Mike Bacsik is the greatest pitcher who has ever lived!!!!!!!!!!!!!one1111!!!!!!!!

Don't forget, Brandon Watson should've been MVP in '07.

Offline UMDNats

Chalk one up for the merit of stats vs. anecdotal observation.

Yea, I only saw 2 games and he didn't do anything. I'm glad to hear he's performed when I haven't seen him.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Here's an offensive chart for Dukes:

(Image removed from quote.)

And comparable one for Francouer:

(Image removed from quote.)

These are from Baseball Prospectus and are intended to reflect current abilities.  They give advantage Francouer by a wide margin on hitting for average, but Dukes is superior in each of the other 4 categories - slight edge in power, and big advantage in walk rate, strikeout rate, and speed. 

Those walk and speed numbers for Dukes sure are impressive. But then again, I think Francouer is way overrated (maybe it's because the BA is high and the BB is low)