Author Topic: Billy Beane and Starters  (Read 1045 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Billy Beane and Starters
« Topic Start: April 15, 2008, 10:24:27 AM »
Where does he find these random guys to pitch? Greg Smith - 7in, 1ER. In the past, he found Chad Gaudin, even got some use out of Lenny DiNardo. Can we pay him to teach Bowden some tricks?

Moneyball might not have worked as he planned, Jeremy Brown sucks, Teahen is on the Royals, he never got Youkilis, but he sure knows pitchers. Oh, and Jeremy Giambi, that's ridiculous.

Offline Dave B

Re: Billy Beane and Starters
« Reply #1: April 15, 2008, 10:50:27 AM »
I dont know Beane's body of work too much, but we've had our share of great spot starts from the likes of Bacsik, Claudio Vargas, Zach Day, and others, if that is what Greg Smith has done

Offline blue911

« Reply #2: April 15, 2008, 11:58:38 AM »
Much of the credit given to the GM should be given to the scouting department. Which is why the Nats are still suffering from MLB's stewardship.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #3: April 15, 2008, 12:11:29 PM »
Much of the credit given to the GM should be given to the scouting department. Which is why the Nats are still suffering from MLB's stewardship.

Well, let's poach some Oakland scouts.

Offline blue911

« Reply #4: April 15, 2008, 12:36:56 PM »

The biggest crime of MLB's stewardship was gutting the scouting staff. The Expos always had a good flow of talent, so I would assume they had a good scouting department. I know I can't blame Lenny Harris for this but I'll try.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #5: April 15, 2008, 12:53:05 PM »

Oakland's famous for relying on stats instead of live scouting.

PANatsfan, I think you need to put "Moneyball" on your summer reading list.  Really, any baseball fan should read the book, for several reasons.  For one, its ideas have been adopted by a number of teams, and thus it sort of "outed" Beane's strategies and ignited a trend towards including SABR measurements in addition to scouting in making personnel decisions.  For another, it remains a controversial book and is often referred to, so it's nice be able to follow the conversations where it is invoked.  And finally, it's a very entertaining read, not a bit overloaded with dense statistical jargon.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #6: April 15, 2008, 01:59:50 PM »
Oakland's famous for relying on stats instead of live scouting.

PANatsfan, I think you need to put "Moneyball" on your summer reading list.  Really, any baseball fan should read the book, for several reasons.  For one, its ideas have been adopted by a number of teams, and thus it sort of "outed" Beane's strategies and ignited a trend towards including SABR measurements in addition to scouting in making personnel decisions.  For another, it remains a controversial book and is often referred to, so it's nice be able to follow the conversations where it is invoked.  And finally, it's a very entertaining read, not a bit overloaded with dense statistical jargon.

I've read it and own it. I question it's success, however. Beane himself doesn't seem to subscribe to it anymore, signing crap marginal players to play the field (Shannon Stewart, Mike Piazza)  -and of all the players he drooled over in the book - the only star was Swisher, who Beane admitted didn't fit the Moneyball profile (Teahen might pan out, but Beane didn't stick with him). Like I said, Brown will never see the Majors, Beane made that clear when he traded Kendall and had an opportunity to call him up.

His college drafting strategy for pitchers has its good points - you know a guy can stay healthy over a season that's longer than the HS season, more statistics, more mature guys. There are downsides to college players, too - possibly bad coaching for 3 years, more wear-and-tear (especially because a lot of college pitchers play the field, too), and some of the best players get picked up in the draft after HS.

I have a solid background in statistics, but I don't have time or money to scour SABR reports and Baseball America.

I'm basically trying to say that when it comes to marginal pitchers (the type the FO is concentrating on), maybe the FO needs to look at Oakland.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #7: April 16, 2008, 11:04:11 PM »
Brown was very close to the majors and seemed like he might pan out, but he ended up retiring recently due to personal reasons.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #8: April 17, 2008, 11:14:30 AM »
Brown was very close to the majors and seemed like he might pan out, but he ended up retiring recently due to personal reasons.

Last year there was a quote about there being a luxury roster spot, and an opportunity to call up Brown, but Beane stated publicly there was no way he going to do so.