Author Topic: Must See TV Thread (2009-2011)  (Read 91153 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Must See TV Thread
« Reply #300: November 09, 2009, 11:13:35 AM »
finally got to watch V on Hulu.

wow, very nice.

and wtf man, the reporter dude is an absolute DEAD RINGER for Micheal J. Fox. 

who is that guy?

and haaaaaaa, Morris Chestnut is a 5th Columnist.

Yeah, I liked it a lot. Anna is the Swarley girl from HIMYM. Scott Wolf is the reporter.

I think the FBI woman is pretty darn cute.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #301: November 09, 2009, 11:43:34 AM »
episode 2 of FNL was sick...and the preview of episode 3 looks awesome, too. :az:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #302: November 09, 2009, 04:45:53 PM »
about finished watching the final season of "Six Feet Under". About to start "The Wire". It's rated 9.7/10 on IMDB so it must be great

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #303: November 09, 2009, 08:08:24 PM »
about finished watching the final season of "Six Feet Under". About to start "The Wire". It's rated 9.7/10 on IMDB so it must be great

Is Six Feet Under good? I heard Michael C Hall was terrific in it.

The Wire is my favorite, and my opinion for, the greatest show ever. Its so good.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #304: November 09, 2009, 08:52:26 PM »
the V pilot episode was so freaking good.  that sucks we can only get a glimpse (first four episodes) then have to wait til spring.  i love the direction of the show.

lisa is so hot.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #305: November 10, 2009, 10:03:08 AM »
How I Met Your Mother is no longer online the next morning after it airs, not even for purchase on iTunes. This irks me. I demand instant gratification.

Offline blue911

« Reply #306: November 10, 2009, 10:19:34 AM »
How I Met Your Mother is no longer online the next morning after it airs, not even for purchase on iTunes. This irks me. I demand instant gratification.

http://www.wnff.net/index.php/topic,6521.0.html

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #308: November 10, 2009, 11:01:31 AM »
Also Friday Night Lights has been very good thus far.  I'm surprised at how well they are balancing the two schools angle. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #309: November 10, 2009, 11:10:09 AM »
Also Friday Night Lights has been very good thus far.  I'm surprised at how well they are balancing the two schools angle. 

Yes.  Nothing is quite as compelling as high-school football drama.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #310: November 10, 2009, 12:05:57 PM »
Yes.  Nothing is quite as compelling as high-school football drama.

Are you being sarcastic or serious?

Because the show is about more than just football..

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #311: November 10, 2009, 12:09:07 PM »
High School never ends.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #312: November 10, 2009, 12:10:58 PM »
Are you being sarcastic or serious?

Because the show is about more than just football..

O.K.  I realize that I might have left that a bit open ended so let me try again as well as address your second point:

Yes.  Nothing is quite as compelling as high-school football drama.     :?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #313: November 10, 2009, 12:25:52 PM »
O.K.  I realize that I might have left that a bit open ended so let me try again as well as address your second point:

Yes.  Nothing is quite as compelling as high-school football drama.     :?

Ah yes, the classic "I've never seen the show and I think it's like this so I'll stereotype it and rip on it."

The first season was really cliche but since then it's opened up to a lot more than that.

But hey, why change your pre-conceived notions about it.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #314: November 10, 2009, 12:35:46 PM »
Ah yes, the classic "I've never seen the show and I think it's like this so I'll stereotype it and rip on it."

The first season was really cliche but since then it's opened up to a lot more than that.

But hey, why change your pre-conceived notions about it.

Should I change my mind about "The Vampire Diaries" or is that still the type of show that showcases teenage characters inflicted by Vampirism?

Should I change my opinion about "Desperate Housewives" or is that still a show about the trials and tribulations of upper-class white women and their daily travails in Suburbia?

Should I change my mind about "CSI - Miami" or is still a spinoff of a show starring a terrible shtick-actor and a tired, protoypical theme exhausted by its predecessor?

Shows evolve.  I get it.  Sometimes they change for the worse (Lost, Desperate Housewives to name a couple) Plotlines stay essentially the same no matter how much the characters or themes may change.

"Friday Night Lights" targets a certain segment of the population.  I don't fall into that category.  Further, because I am trained in the field that I am trained in, I can find very few examples in history regarding anything that takes place in a high-school setting as being even remotely decent.  "The Breakfast Club" is about the only one that comes to mind.

For the record, I have seen a few episodes early on and I made my judgement.  So I haven't watched in five years.  It's not my job to continue to give shows "the old college try."  It's their job to give me a product worth spending my time on and they didn't.  The show could win Emmy awards for all I care, it's still high-school drama material.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #315: November 10, 2009, 12:37:38 PM »
I'm not trying to be condescending or come across as knowing anything special, but I will say that there is a huge difference between being college-age and everything after that.  Things that I enjoyed the hell out of in my college years (and for a year or two after) bore me to death anymore.

My point is that Minty probably isn't going to put much stock in your taste in TV shows :P

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #316: November 10, 2009, 12:41:31 PM »
Should I change my mind about "The Vampire Diaries" or is that still the type of show that showcases teenage characters inflicted by Vampirism?

Should I change my opinion about "Desperate Housewives" or is that still a show about the trials and tribulations of upper-class white women and their daily travails in Suburbia?

Should I change my mind about "CSI - Miami" or is still a spinoff of a show starring a terrible shtick-actor and a tired, protoypical theme exhausted by its predecessor?

Shows evolve.  I get it.  Sometimes they change for the worse (Lost, Desperate Housewives to name a couple) Plotlines stay essentially the same no matter how much the characters or themes may change.

"Friday Night Lights" targets a certain segment of the population.  I don't fall into that category.  Further, because I am trained in the field that I am trained in, I can find very few examples in history regarding anything that takes place in a high-school setting as being even remotely decent.  "The Breakfast Club" is about the only one that comes to mind.

For the record, I have seen a few episodes early on and I made my judgement.  So I haven't watched in five years.  It's not my job to continue to give shows "the old college try."  It's their job to give me a product worth spending my time on and they didn't.  The show could win Emmy awards for all I care, it's still high-school drama material.

I'm not saying you have to like every show or have to watch every episode, but you don't have to put it down and be all condescending about the people who DO like it and DO enjoy it.

Like I said, early on it was really cliche and cheesy but then has evolved into more than that. Since the first season it's become more about the lives of the people and less about high school drama (which it wasn't really about, more of "small-town drama").

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #317: November 10, 2009, 12:43:55 PM »
I'm not trying to be condescending or come across as knowing anything special, but I will say that there is a huge difference between being college-age and everything after that.  Things that I enjoyed the hell out of in my college years (and for a year or two after) bore me to death anymore.

My point is that Minty probably isn't going to put much stock in your taste in TV shows :P

What gave you that idea?   :rofl:

It goes beyond that.  I grew up in the era of 90210 which was WILDLY popular in my demographic and I HATED the show.  My then fiancee made me watch it with her (I was 23 and she was 21).  I actually ended up not marrying her - probably over our tastes in entertainment.

I've never been one for that type of show.  I've always found it to be like "Amatuer Hour at Vaudeville" with contrived plotlines and characters that nobody can (or probably ever should) identify with.  

I often get mocked in my social circles for my connection with professional wrestling, but at least they give me stock characters I can count on and a very low expectation of quality plotlines.  Shows like "Friday Night Lights" put out this aura of superior dramatic creativity and really the only thing that separates it from 90210 or vampire shows is the football and lack of vampires.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #318: November 10, 2009, 12:46:03 PM »
I guess you haven't been watching Raw lately. Outside of Kofi, they haven't even reached the bottom level standard for quality plotlines in a good year or two.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #319: November 10, 2009, 12:47:39 PM »
I actually ended up not marrying her - probably over our tastes in entertainment.

That's hardcore dedication to the arts :shock:

I often get mocked in my social circles for my connection with professional wrestling

Perfect.  Absolutely flawless ending :lol:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #320: November 10, 2009, 12:51:40 PM »
I guess you haven't been watching Raw lately. Outside of Kofi, they haven't even reached the bottom level standard for quality plotlines in a good year or two.

I actually haven't watched a single episode of any of their three shows since January.  My goal is to avoid them all entirely until The Royal Rumble which is the one  pay-per-view I get every year (I do get Wrestlemania most every year but I never miss a Royal Rumble). 

I understand "The Hurricane" is back on ECW? 

I loved that guy.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #321: November 10, 2009, 12:57:32 PM »
Yeah. He's actually in a really good storyline with Paul Burchill.

I'm not sure if you'll remember him... Burchill was last seen on Smackdown a few years ago as Pirate Paul Burchill where he played a Jack Sparrow-esque type pirate.

Anyways... the current storyline is Burchill is convinced that Hurricane is actually Gregory Helms. Hurricane obviously denies it, and they've done some neat backstage camera tricks to have them appear near instantaneously.

They're having a match coming up with the stipulation being if the Hurricane loses, he must unmask and reveal what his true identity is... and if Burchill loses, he must leave ECW forever.

ECW is quality programming.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #322: November 10, 2009, 01:35:56 PM »
I'm with UMD, FNL is a fun/harmless show about high school football in Texas. 

Guess Minty is not a sports guy 8) just kidding

Offline The Chief

« Reply #323: November 10, 2009, 01:39:33 PM »
I'm with Minty, TV is the devil, and you kids need to get off my damn lawn!

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #324: November 10, 2009, 01:41:00 PM »
I think more people should go Albert Belle on kids that don't get off their law. It would teach those kids a lesson.