Author Topic: Minty's "do you still play" thread  (Read 56933 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Re: Minty's "do you still play" thread
« Reply #100: June 18, 2010, 04:31:18 PM »
Yeah, I didn't have the time to commit to it this year like I thought I would.  Which is fine.  This is a fun group to play with.

I almost didn't play this year since my old team busted up but I was coaxed into playing with a team that was dedicated to improving.  This team was 1-19 last year and my old team earned one of its three wins against this one.  My new team dumped a bunch of players and took on some really talented guys.

I wasn't sure I would fit in because one of the guys they picked up was a kid who's really particualr about having a personal catcher who he convinced to play with us as well so I didn't think I'd get much playing time.  During spring warm-ups I worked with him a bit and he started getting used to me.  Three games in he finally got a start and his buddy caught him but said he really doesn't want to catch any more.  I got his next start and we've been working together ever since.  Our last three games together we've gone 2-1 and the only loss was a defensive debacle where the team committed 6 errors behind him.  One other game was a CGSO and last night we gave up only three earned runs in a 5-4 win.  Plus, we've acquired a ocal high-school coach who can really throw hard and he and I worked a CGSO last week against one of the three best teams in the league.

I went from probably not playing this year because of a lack of playing time to indispensable starting catcher who all the pitchers like working with.  Good thing I stuck it out.  We're now 5-6 and our next three games are against teams behind us in the standings so we should be over .500 in two weeks.

Turned out to be a great decision.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #101: June 18, 2010, 04:32:50 PM »
How many innings do you play per game?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #102: June 18, 2010, 06:17:46 PM »
Minty is striving to be like his hero Wil Nieves ;)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #103: June 21, 2010, 08:59:31 AM »
How many innings do you play per game?

Minty is striving to be like his hero Wil Nieves ;)

:?

:lol:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #104: June 24, 2010, 03:49:41 PM »
Ugh.  92 degrees and a dewpoint of 71 currently in the town where we're playing tonight.  Should lose about 15 lbs. tonight.

By the way... Chief, you should probably move this to the Red Loft.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #105: June 25, 2010, 12:30:21 PM »
I played weeknight Ponce de Leon as recent as last fall. There's a good number of options for adult baseball in the DC area. Ponce de Leon, DC MSBL/MABL, NABA (are they still around), and if you are real good, there's still the "Industrial League."

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #106: June 25, 2010, 12:52:16 PM »
I played weeknight Ponce de Leon as recent as last fall. There's a good number of options for adult baseball in the DC area. Ponce de Leon, DC MSBL/MABL, NABA (are they still around), and if you are real good, there's still the "Industrial League."

I thought the NoVA NABA folded up and the teams joined the DCMSBL.  I played in the NoVA while I was there as well as the VBL and the DCMSBL but that was 1999-2001.  I really liked the NABA because that was an all wood bat league and there were less teams which made for fewer forfeits.

What's the "Ponce de Leon?"

(And yes, terp, I know he was a Spanish explorer looking for the Fountain of Youth - that's not what I meant.  :lol: )

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #107: June 25, 2010, 01:44:41 PM »
Ponce is an adult baseball league; it's a little more laid back, but it's still hardball.

http://poncedeleonbaseball.com/About_Us.html

But it has a little more focus on fun where everyone has to get a few innings in the field and a turn at bat. Pitchers are limited to 5 innings per game. But it's 9 inning games, 60 foot bags, and real baseball.

According to NABA, there's still a DC league. It looks like they merged with WARBL and went wood bat.

I was one of the NABA 30+ teams that jumped to the DCMSBL.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #108: June 25, 2010, 01:48:19 PM »
Ponce is an adult baseball league; it's a little more laid back, but it's still hardball.

http://poncedeleonbaseball.com/About_Us.html

But it has a little more focus on fun where everyone has to get a few innings in the field and a turn at bat. Pitchers are limited to 5 innings per game. But it's 9 inning games, 60 foot bags, and real baseball.

According to NABA, there's still a DC league. It looks like they merged with WARBL and went wood bat.

I was one of the NABA 30+ teams that jumped to the DCMSBL.

Who do you play for now and what team were you with when you were in the NABA?

Incidentally, I think we could use a league like the Ponce de Leon league up here in the Albany area of New York.  I'm in the CDMSBL and we absorbed the Capital NABA league.  I'm in the 35+ division and we're all wood bats (the way toplay IMO).  There's a "Roy Hobbs" league in Saratoga, NY that I'll be playing for when the kids get older (provided I haven't moved back to DC).

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #109: June 25, 2010, 01:53:37 PM »
I messed up my shoulder in the fall, and am not playing in the spring.

NABA, I was running the Giants and took them to the MSBL and rechristened them the Mud City Manglers. This would have been... about 10-12 years ago.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #110: June 25, 2010, 02:15:23 PM »
I messed up my shoulder in the fall, and am not playing in the spring.

NABA, I was running the Giants and took them to the MSBL and rechristened them the Mud City Manglers. This would have been... about 10-12 years ago.

I played for the River Dogs in 2000 and 2001 in the NABA and for the Dukes in the MSBL.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #111: June 25, 2010, 04:26:37 PM »
What's the "Ponce de Leon?"

(And yes, terp, I know he was a Spanish explorer looking for the Fountain of Youth - that's not what I meant.  :lol: )

Well, the fountain of youth, that's the reason for the name.  Oldsters playing baseball for love of the game, and enjoying what is generally a youthful experience.  Rolling back the clock, if even for a few innings.  League is well established and been around quite a while.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #112: July 06, 2010, 02:21:25 AM »
So the Mizuno glove I bought to play some catch is really stiff.  How do I make it better :lol:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #113: July 06, 2010, 08:46:08 AM »
So the Mizuno glove I bought to play some catch is really stiff.  How do I make it better :lol:

Neatsfoot oil, a baseball and a big elastic band.

Then, play lots and lots of catch.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #114: July 08, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
Busted up my throwing thumb real good last night (recap of how it happened in the venting thread).  But I did have a great moment after busting the thumb...

We play seven innings and in the bottom of the seventh with two outs, the opposition loads the bases and we have a one-run lead.  With darkness setting in, their cleanup hitter rips a single to centerfield.  As the tying run scores, our CF throws a two-hop strike to me covering the plate.  The ball arrives just ahead of the person who represents the winnnig run and as I receive the ball and turn to apply the tag, the guy decides to slide (sparing me, but for reasons I know not).  As I turn he does raise his extended leg up and his spikes catch me right in the chest protector and I hang onto the ball and fall backwards.  The umpire immediately calls him out and the opposing manager comes out and starts arguing that I never tagged him.  As I'm lying there I look up and tell the umpire, "don't worry, he never touched the plate."  As the opposing manager starts in on me and calling "BULLcrap!," I roll over and say, "it would be impossible for him to have touched the plate since I was lying down on top of it."  The manager then conceded his argument and the game ended in a tie.

So, I didn't preserve the win, but I did prevent the loss.

Now I have to spend the day figuring out if my thumb will be good enough to play in my game tonight.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #115: August 25, 2010, 02:06:43 AM »
Good goood season this year. Made 14U all-stars and batted lead-off or #2 in the line-up. I played CF, 3B and pitched and caught some. I'm hoping to catch on as a 3B, C or CF with my schools JV squad this year. I'm going to Mclean which was nationally ranked this past year

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #116: August 25, 2010, 01:18:50 PM »
Interesting this thread should be bumped today.  I was going to go find it and bump it to say that I have accepted an invitation to play on Doubleday Field this Sunday at 10:00 a.m.

I'm pumped.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #117: September 28, 2010, 12:00:38 AM »
Had a pretty intense one tonight.  Almost had a brawl.  A dude dislocated his shoulder...and played the rest of the game.  Had one of my guys get suspended.  Almost had a fan get kicked out.  Crazy. 

Oh, and we won.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #118: September 28, 2010, 09:57:02 AM »
Had a pretty intense one tonight.  Almost had a brawl.  A dude dislocated his shoulder...and played the rest of the game.  Had one of my guys get suspended.  Almost had a fan get kicked out.  Crazy. 

Oh, and we won.

Having some personal experience with dislocated shoulders, perhaps this was the umpteenth time and he popped it back in before continuing to play?  Because a shoulder doesn't work properly when it is out of the socket.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #119: September 28, 2010, 10:00:26 AM »
Yeah it was.  Supposedly it's something that's happened fairly regularly.  He popppped it back in and kept playing.  He was in a lot of pain though and couldn't really lift his arm the rest of the game.  Fortunately it wasn't his throwing arm.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #120: September 28, 2010, 08:27:48 PM »
My son can do this on request. Makes me sick every time he does it.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #121: October 15, 2010, 12:00:38 AM »
Last softball games of the year.  Split a doubleheader.  Didn't hit worth a lick.  But caught a bit tonight, thought of Minty.  Threw a guy out at 3rd on a passed ball.  No-looked it.  That was fun.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #122: October 15, 2010, 12:17:14 AM »
Interesting this thread should be bumped today.  I was going to go find it and bump it to say that I have accepted an invitation to play on Doubleday Field this Sunday at 10:00 a.m.

I'm pumped.

Carve "Nats Rule" into the dugout or something equally childish.

Or is that not where the Doubledays play?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #123: October 15, 2010, 10:12:43 AM »

Carve "Nats Rule" into the dugout or something equally childish.

Or is that not where the Doubledays play?

No they play in Auburn.  Doubleday Field is in Cooperstown down the street from the Hall of Fame.  First baseball field ever.  That kind of thing...  ;)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #124: January 21, 2011, 04:13:48 PM »
First indoor practice tonight.  :woop:

Good thing since it'll be (a) dark; and (b) about -417 degrees F tonight.