Author Topic: Minty's "do you still play" thread  (Read 56927 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Minty's "do you still play" thread
« Reply #75: January 20, 2010, 04:09:27 PM »
I honestly would rather play with fat guys who like beer. And I'd still hide in LF.
We should start a league then :lol:

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #76: January 20, 2010, 04:28:04 PM »
Starting catcher of every game, played every inning. Batted 5th-6th. I think I finished with atleast a .400 + average but thats not to difciult.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #77: January 20, 2010, 04:39:24 PM »
I've met PA, that IS a challenge  :twisted:

I'm pretty good at HBP.

Offline blue911

« Reply #78: January 20, 2010, 04:41:25 PM »
I'm pretty good at HBP.

Hit By Pitch?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #79: January 20, 2010, 04:45:57 PM »
Hit By Pitch?

Yup. I'm like a freaking magnet.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #80: January 20, 2010, 04:46:03 PM »
Hit By Pitch?

Hammered By Pilsener.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #81: January 20, 2010, 04:46:17 PM »

Offline blue911

« Reply #82: January 20, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
Yup. I'm like a freaking magnet.

Maybe it's your personality.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #83: January 20, 2010, 05:06:03 PM »

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #84: January 20, 2010, 08:20:14 PM »
Starting catcher of every game, played every inning. Batted 5th-6th. I think I finished with atleast a .400 + average but thats not to difciult.

This past year I actually played more 3B than anything else but I did manage to play all nine positions for the 2nd year in a row and I hit .280+ for my second straight year which is a feat for me!

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #85: January 20, 2010, 10:49:33 PM »
I've been hitting the batting cages, getting ready for FAUs homerun derby  :glug:.  I'm finding the game gets easier as you get older.  When I played, I wanted change ups outlawed - I was always way out in front and hit a sissy pop-up on top of the 3b dugout.  Now those same change ups are fastballs.

Offline KyleScha

« Reply #86: January 20, 2010, 11:32:53 PM »
How's that division doing?  They had too many teams when I played there - something like 25 teams.  The league would've been better off with five less teams and consolidated rosters to ensure competitive games.

Its alright, theres a huge discrepancy of talent. We generally win about a third of our games. Not unlike another team I know of...However in 2008 we almost beat the #1 seeded team to knock them out of the tournament, but a bad call by the 3rd base ump blew that for us. They were almost all former Terps. We actually have a lot of talent on our team, but we don't ever practice and usually the whole team except for me is hung over on game day :-/

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #87: January 20, 2010, 11:45:55 PM »
I've been hitting the batting cages, getting ready for FAUs homerun derby  :glug:.  I'm finding the game gets easier as you get older.  When I played, I wanted change ups outlawed - I was always way out in front and hit a sissy pop-up on top of the 3b dugout.  Now those same change ups are fastballs.

Question: Is FAU's softball field near the Cardinals/Marlins spring training field? I feel like I see FAU signs when I catch Nats games down there. (I may or may not be coming down to FAU for some Terps softball broadcasting)

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #88: January 21, 2010, 09:17:31 AM »
Question: Is FAU's softball field near the Cardinals/Marlins spring training field? I feel like I see FAU signs when I catch Nats games down there. (I may or may not be coming down to FAU for some Terps softball broadcasting)

No doubt you see FAU signs near the Roger Dean Stadium complex as there is an FAU campus adjacent to it.  But the softball field is on the main campus in Boca Raton, about 40 miles south of Jupiter where the Cards and Fish share spring training facilities.

It looks like you are down the weekend of the 19-21.  I hope you get down here.  Let me know if you do, and I'll take you out and also make sure you are provided everything you need you need (I am the official scorer for the FAU baseball team).  I'll be working the baseball games that weekend, but I can probably make it to all or part of at least 3 of your games that don't conflict with the baseball games.  If you are ever free during one of the baseball games (we are playing Cincinnati), come join me in the booth. 

The baseball games are Fri @ 6:30, Sat @ 2:00, and Sun @ 1:00.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #89: January 21, 2010, 10:31:24 AM »
No doubt you see FAU signs near the Roger Dean Stadium complex as there is an FAU campus adjacent to it.  But the softball field is on the main campus in Boca Raton, about 40 miles south of Jupiter where the Cards and Fish share spring training facilities.

It looks like you are down the weekend of the 19-21.  I hope you get down here.  Let me know if you do, and I'll take you out and also make sure you are provided everything you need you need (I am the official scorer for the FAU baseball team).  I'll be working the baseball games that weekend, but I can probably make it to all or part of at least 3 of your games that don't conflict with the baseball games.  If you are ever free during one of the baseball games (we are playing Cincinnati), come join me in the booth. 

The baseball games are Fri @ 6:30, Sat @ 2:00, and Sun @ 1:00.

Thanks, I'll be sure to let you know if I come down. It's iffy because we'd have to fly down on our down dime, and we're not sure it'll be worth it. I've got to talk to some people to see if the team will cover it.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #90: January 21, 2010, 11:25:26 AM »
But the softball field is on the main campus in Boca Raton, about 40 miles south of Jupiter where the Cards and Fish share spring training facilities.

The FAU signs in Ft Lauderdale are for satellite buildings? Huh.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #91: January 21, 2010, 12:32:11 PM »
The FAU signs in Ft Lauderdale are for satellite buildings? Huh.

Yep.  There are seven campuses, counting Harbor Branch, which is technically in the Atlantic Ocean.

Offline EdStroud

« Reply #92: January 21, 2010, 10:50:29 PM »
I have played baseball/softball all of my life.  Scouted out of high school by the Twins and White Sox.  Was offered partial scholarships to American and George Washington universities.  I wasn't the college type of guy(anything with school books) and decided to go to work and play in the credit union leagues (Virginia and Maryland).  Ran some Fall Ball teams around Northern Virginia a couple of years before having something happen to me that convinced me I had made the right decision to work for a living.  A bird dog(remembered me from High School) for Mississippi State saw me playing for my Fall Ball team and wanted me to go to MSU(after JuCo).  They worked me out and said I would make a decent first baseman (had been a third baseman for a long time).  To show my age the starting first baseman at Mississippi State at the time was a guy named Will Clark and in Left was the next one named Rafael Palmeiro.  I'm glad I didn't stick around and shine their spikes for them, not my style.  I now coach both High School baseball and basketball, loving every second of it.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #93: June 15, 2010, 10:19:20 AM »
We won 6-0 last night to improve to 4-6 on the season.  We've now won three in a row and four-of-five and the last hree games we've allowed only two runs total.

Lead-off batter in the first inning popped one up along the third-base line and I made the head-first diving catch (at the ripe-young age of 39) right in front of our dugout.  The third-baseman said he hasn't seen a catcher move like that in a long time and it was good I did because he siad he never had a shot at catching that pop-up (since the batter was a lefty and he was playing a bit off the line).

Called a great game and framed a lot of borderline pitches.  Our guy threw a complete game shutout with nine strikeouts, no walks, no hit batters and allowed only three hits.  The only blemish on my game was allowing three stolen bases without throwing anyone out.  On the first attempted steal, I went to plant my foot and it slid a little causing the ol' three-hopper" to the second baseman covering; after that it was in my head.

Next three games are against teams behind us in the standings so we should extend this streak to six straight!  Can't wait for Thursday's game!

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #94: June 16, 2010, 03:48:43 PM »
Its impossible for me to "still play."  I'm too old, too fat, and too fragile.  My surgery last year really did me in.

I found the debate early on in this thread about softball -- fast or slow pitch -- vs. baseball interesting.  I have played both fast and slow pitch softball as an adult, as well as the slow pitch kind.  Of course, here in Chicago, we play 16 inch softball when we do the slow pitch thing, which is a game on an entirely different level.  No gloves.  A fun game (though I have broken a finger tip or two).

I was wondering if any of you had ever played a version of a game we used to call "Jungle Ball."  Its played with a 12 inch softball, on a regular softball field, but the ball is thrown fast-pitch, overhand, like baseball.  No organized leagues, but we used to play some intense pick up games with this as a teenager. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #95: June 18, 2010, 04:06:27 PM »
Never played anything that sounded like jungle ball but I have played some great "full contact" wiffle ball games.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #96: June 18, 2010, 04:07:41 PM »
We won in walk-off fashion last night for our third win in a row.  5-6 now and climbing the standings.

Here's to hoping this thread gets more interest for our spitballing idea.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #97: June 18, 2010, 04:08:52 PM »
I've got a softball double header tonight.  This year's team's pretty good.  We have a shot to win this year.  First time in a long time we've been competitive.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #98: June 18, 2010, 04:09:27 PM »
I've got a softball double header tonight.  This year's team's pretty good.  We have a shot to win this year.  First time in a long time we've been competitive.

Did you check into those leagues in Omaha?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #99: June 18, 2010, 04:14:39 PM »
Did you check into those leagues in Omaha?
Yeah, I didn't have the time to commit to it this year like I thought I would.  Which is fine.  This is a fun group to play with.