Author Topic: Minty's "do you still play" thread  (Read 56931 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: Minty's "do you still play" thread
« Reply #25: May 30, 2009, 12:28:37 AM »
Well, it's got to be better than the softball game I played tonight.  Worst game of the season.  The other team was pretty good, but we were making stupid play after stupid play, cost us a couple runs early and it snowballed from there.  I felt like I was playing for the Nats.   :shock:

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #26: May 30, 2009, 12:45:16 AM »
I played Softball, wasn't very good, but very dedicated.

Baseball, I was pretty good in 1996.   ;).  At the Olympics in Atlanta, there was an Olympic Baseball player named Chad Allen.  My first name has the same 1st initial. 

I took a picture back then that had up on the scoreboard:

C. Allen .250 (I think, just a guess).

Great Average, don't you think?!   ;) :roll: :lol:

Name Avg. GP-GS AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB SLG% BB HBP SO GDP OB% SF SH SB-AT PO A E FLD% Jason   Chad Allen .403 35-33 124 30 50 11 4 6 29 87 .702 15 0 19 4 .468 0 0 1-4 46 3 4 .925

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #27: May 30, 2009, 10:20:46 AM »
No offense, but if you're in the top 3-6 players with a .184 average, then that's one low hitting team.

:?

You know, there's more to playing baseball than just carrying a bat around. 

And freak you.  My OBP is .357.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #28: May 30, 2009, 10:25:40 AM »

Austin Kearns, is that you?! :D ;)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #29: May 30, 2009, 10:26:33 AM »
I played little league years ago, but forgot about the entire sport until last year when I became interested in the Nats.  Me and my friend were thinking about buying some gloves to just play some catch with.  Not really sure where to buy and how sizing etc work.  I like the Mizuno stuff.

I 'd be interested in getting a little more into it if we could find enough people to play.  I wouldn't do a league or anything since I would be terrible at first, but having some fun would with friends would be cool.

I'm not quite sure I have the body to play too hard yet.  Think of my body type as like Dimitri Young.  But white.  And fatter :shock:

Doesn't matter as long as the ability is there.  We have multiple "rounder" players in our league.  Most of them pitch or play 1B.  As long as they can field and hit some it's all good.

Do you live near a major city?  If you live near DC the DCMSBL has TONS of teams and when I was leaving they were even talking about making two divisions (A & B):  one for "experts" and one for "beginners."

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #30: May 30, 2009, 10:27:21 AM »
Austin Kearns, is that you?! :D ;)

:D

As bad as he is, I think AK is better than I am.   :?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #31: May 30, 2009, 10:35:15 AM »
No wonder you like toolsy players who can't hit...   role models :P  :stir:  :lol:

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #32: May 30, 2009, 10:58:48 AM »

You shoulda mentioned that instead then :D

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #33: May 30, 2009, 11:02:21 AM »
  I'm carrying a .184 so far this year.

With so many good baseball leagues all over the country, I see no need to play softball anymore.

I would think that .184 is an excellent argument in favor of taking up softball.   :P

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #34: June 04, 2009, 09:30:04 AM »
0-for-3 in my last game.  Down to .133      :?

Also made my first error of the season playing 3B.  Ball took a wierd hop and hit me in the balls; luckily I was wearing my cup, but it still gave me that quick shock that made me make a poor throw to 1B.

Offline blue911

« Reply #35: June 04, 2009, 09:37:50 AM »
0-for-3 in my last game.  Down to .133      :?

Also made my first error of the season playing 3B.  Ball took a wierd hop and hit me in the balls; luckily I was wearing my cup, but it still gave me that quick shock that made me make a poor throw to 1B.

Third sucks, last time I played there I tore my Achilles. Dumb ass position.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #36: June 04, 2009, 09:59:49 AM »
Third sucks, last time I played there I tore my Achilles. Dumb ass position.

It's actually my preferred position when not catching because that's where I played most before moving to catcher.  The ball just ate me up because I didn't charge it hard enough and I couldn't decide between the short hop and the long hop - so I got a 'tweener and got hit in the goodies for my troubles.

Offline blue911

« Reply #37: June 04, 2009, 10:12:02 AM »
It's actually my preferred position when not catching because that's where I played most before moving to catcher.  The ball just ate me up because I didn't charge it hard enough and I couldn't decide between the short hop and the long hop - so I got a 'tweener and got hit in the goodies for my troubles.

I play third like um... somebody who should never play third. I tried to block ground balls.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #38: June 04, 2009, 10:15:58 AM »
I played little league and HS ball when I was younger.  I have played in a summer league for past couple years, although I cannot play catcher anymore because of damage to one of my knees (2B it is, but I still make frequent visits to the mound).  I would describe my game as more of a light hitting speedster with above average D at times, although my arm strength isn't what it used to be.  Almost everyone in the league has played HS ball, many played in college, and some are former minor leaguers.  I had to take a year off this season because of scheduling conflicts with my work, but should be back out there in next year, time permitting.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #39: June 04, 2009, 10:19:14 AM »
I played alot of little league when I was younger but stopped before HS. I wish I played in HS for the love of the game I have now.

I played mostly 2b which I was pretty good at in the field but was terrible at the plate. I was so small when I was about 12-13 and felt so afraid of the ball. Id always try to duck or step away from the ball when swinging. One kid threw a slider and I almost pissed my pants every time at the plate. I did get on base alot though by being walked. My strike zone was so small. I guess thats why I was lead off.

I played short and third a few times as well, was pretty decent there.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #40: June 04, 2009, 11:03:15 AM »
Once when playing 3B in high school, I was talking to the SS (who, by the way is my Marlins/Nats buddy down here) when I heard the crack of the bat  - they were still wood back then.  I turned just in time for the ball to smack me on the bridge of my nose.  I stumbled around, grabbed the ball, and heaved the mother to RF, continued stumbling, and crashed on the bench.   I wore the stitch marks from the ball for a long time, and still have a scar from that one.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #41: June 04, 2009, 11:13:53 AM »
I always hated playing 3b.  There are 8 other positions I'd rather play other than 3b. 

Offline blue911

« Reply #42: June 04, 2009, 11:28:21 AM »
I always hated playing 3b.  There are 8 other positions I'd rather play other than 3b. 

I'd rather sit on the bench and tell everybody else how much they suck. But sometimes it can't be avoided. Thankfully, I'm old so I can weenie out and say my arm sucks.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #43: June 04, 2009, 12:13:29 PM »
Once when playing 3B in high school, I was talking to the SS (who, by the way is my Marlins/Nats buddy down here) when I heard the crack of the bat  - they were still wood back then.  I turned just in time for the ball to smack me on the bridge of my nose.  I stumbled around, grabbed the ball, and heaved the mother to RF, continued stumbling, and crashed on the bench.   I wore the stitch marks from the ball for a long time, and still have a scar from that one.

I was playing in an aluminum bat league (18 years and up - I was 34) back in 2005.  My first game from out behind the plate I played 3B and the leadoff hitter hits the second pitch of the game - a screamer that took one hop and hit me in the forehead and knocked me unconscious - and I was paying attention and had my glove down in the fielding position.  Our 1B said it looked like I "had been shot" because my body went limp and I ended up landing flat on my back.  After coming to, I found out that the coach had replaced me and I begged to stay in.  He let me play another three innings until I chased a foul pop-up to just beyond the dugout and went over the fence to catch it and it landed just out of play.  In frustration I slammed the top of the fence with my open hand and cut myself wide open at which point I had to be removed for the league's "open wound" policy.   :?

Talk about a bad day.  Plus I struck out in my only plate appearance.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #44: June 04, 2009, 12:18:34 PM »
I have two baseball to the face scars, both from little league.  Baseballs to the face also kept me in braces for 6 weeks longer than I was scheduled to.  I took one to the kisser the day before I was to have them out.  Probably saved at least 3 teeth though.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #45: June 04, 2009, 01:49:38 PM »
I stopped playing baseball in High School. I went to Riverdale Baptist in the 90s, and the level of competition there was above and beyond my level of skill. *shrug* 

SouthernFriedNat

« Reply #46: June 04, 2009, 02:00:13 PM »
I played through High School and a bit in college

I thought I had a chance to be drafted as I went through a slew of Baseball America tournaments and did well.

Who pitched against me in the last tournament that I played (high school wise) in a national tournament in Jupitar, FL? Scott freakin Kazmir. He owned us...and I didn't own him.

Offline Bermygreen

« Reply #47: June 05, 2009, 11:12:31 AM »
I've never actually seen either a glove or a bat in my life, so I might actually be quite good at the game.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #48: June 05, 2009, 12:50:08 PM »
I've never actually seen either a glove or a bat in my life, so I might actually be quite good at the game.

Can't be worse than some of the hacks in my league.    :)

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #49: June 05, 2009, 04:17:58 PM »
Can't be worse than some of the hacks on the Nats