Author Topic: Minty's "do you still play" thread  (Read 56927 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Re: Minty's "do you still play" thread
« Reply #225: July 09, 2012, 09:44:02 AM »
My wife is so awesome.  For my birthday last year she bought a cap and a game used jersey from our local A-ball team (complete with the number I typically wear).  As an extra bonus, I got the right to take BP with the team on an off-day - that day is TOMORROW.   Me and my family are headed to the park and my oldest son gets to go on the field with me and shag fly balls and chat with the players. 

GIANT BAG OF WIN.

Assuming my wife takes some photos (probably of me swinging and missing - :lol:   :?  ), I'll post them.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #226: July 09, 2012, 04:33:58 PM »
Can't wait to see them. You've got a keeper there, Minty!

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #227: July 10, 2012, 10:39:32 PM »
What a HUGE bag of win.  Once I get the photos off my FB page I'll share some of them here. 

My wife is so awesome.  For my birthday last year she bought a cap and a game used jersey from our local A-ball team (complete with the number I typically wear).  As an extra bonus, I got the right to take BP with the team on an off-day - that day is TOMORROW.   Me and my family are headed to the park and my oldest son gets to go on the field with me and shag fly balls and chat with the players. 

GIANT BAG OF WIN.

Assuming my wife takes some photos (probably of me swinging and missing - :lol:   :?  ), I'll post them.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #228: July 22, 2012, 03:37:44 PM »
Caught four softball games yesterday in a tournament.  My thighs are yelping a bit today.  It was fun though.  Haven't caught in any sort of competition since the 6th grade.  Completely shut down the running game.  Good times.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #229: August 09, 2012, 09:07:40 AM »
FInished the season 14-3-1 and won our first playoff game.  Looking to close out round one tonight. 

Extra bonus that I just found out this morning:  I get to play in Cooperstown AGAIN!  This time, they want me to wear my Nats gear.  Should I go with the old road jersey #42 or the old home jersey #17?  Decisions, decisions...

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #230: August 11, 2012, 07:14:53 AM »
Cooperstown-bound in 45 minutes!   :woop:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #231: August 13, 2012, 09:10:27 AM »
#WINNING:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #232: August 13, 2012, 09:12:41 AM »
What, not catching?    :shrug:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #233: August 13, 2012, 09:14:40 AM »
What, not catching?    :shrug:

I played five different positions - photographer couldn't keep up with me!

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #234: August 13, 2012, 02:31:28 PM »
Just signed up the "Weeknight" session of Ponce de Leon for this coming Fall.

Anyone with me?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #235: August 13, 2012, 11:16:23 PM »
Wow.  Got our asses handed to us tonight.  24-3.  Worst beating I've ever taken.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #237: August 24, 2012, 11:43:13 AM »
Brooklyn Dodgers: 2012 Champs!  Two in a row, baby!

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #238: October 08, 2012, 10:06:38 PM »
I now have as many career home runs as Stephen Strasburg.  I went all Ryan Zimmerman style to the RF gap.  That was fun.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #239: October 09, 2012, 09:51:30 AM »
:clap:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #240: February 22, 2013, 01:47:48 PM »
So I got an interesting proposal today....

The manager for one of the teams in my league reached out to me and asked me to jump ship and play for his team.  His team is struggling right now at 0-4-1 and they need a lot of help including at catcher.  Right now, I play for a team that won the championship last year and looks good enough to win it all again this year.  It's a great group of guys who all play really well together.  Problem is, I'm a backup right now because our current catcher is better at throwing out steal attempts than I am (otherwise, we're pretty comparable).  So as a result, I don't play as much in the field as I used to.

Again, I love this team and the guys are a great group.  But I have an opportunity to go to a lousy team and play every inning of every game that I show up to.  I know some of the guys and the manager is a really good guy and a great player. 

What do I do?

So I was asked again this year and decided to give this team a try.  He also took two pitchers from another team so the team should be somewhat better this year and we added a younger, power hitting 1B - sounds like they'll be more competitive. 

I have decided to join this team and leave the two-time defending champs in favor of more playing time. 

:smh: Always knew you were going to jump ship as soon as you hit free agency

:razz:

Jump ship. You are paying to play, so, go where you will play. But don't be surprised if they buzz the tower when you bat against them...

I spoke with the manager of my previous team and told him I really didn't want to leave but being behind two catchers was tough and he totally understood.  He promised not to throw at me.  :lol:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #241: May 07, 2013, 10:18:02 AM »
We're 1-2 after the win last night. 

I ended up making the crucial play that allowed the win.  Runner on first with two out, top of the sixth (we play seven inning games).  #3 hitter steps up and ropes a double, one-hop off the fence in LCF.  Our CF fires to the SS who then throws home.  In our league, we have a "slide or give up" rule for baserunners (at our age, there is no mowing over the catcher), but if a defensive player is covering a base you can slide into him.  So the SS fires a two-hop strike to me (a near-perfect throw, only slightly in front of the plate) and I go to apply the tag and the runner slides in spikes up, kicking me in the chest and knocking me backwards.  I stand up and the ump says, "you have the ball?!!??!?"  I showed it to him in my mitt and he punches the guy out for the final out of the inning. 

Our closer struck out two of the three batters he faced in the seventh for the 4-3 win.

I felt 18 again, for just a moment.

I love this game.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #242: June 17, 2013, 01:15:29 AM »
We had a 2-1-2-3 put out tonight.  First time I'd ever seen that before.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #243: June 17, 2013, 07:58:21 AM »
We had a 2-1-2-3 put out tonight.  First time I'd ever seen that before.

That needs description.  :lol:

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #244: June 17, 2013, 01:05:49 PM »
That needs description.  :lol:
Batter hit a weak pop up between the plate and the mound.  Both the pitcher and catcher went for it.  Catcher muffed it, bounced off the pitcher, back to the catcher who threw to first for the out.  The runner would clearly have been safe had he been running out of the box, but he didn't and we got the out.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #245: June 17, 2013, 11:59:38 PM »
It's really hard to win a game with first place on the line without your 3 and 4 hole hitters...

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #246: June 18, 2013, 07:51:08 AM »
It's really hard to win a game with first place on the line without your 3 and 4 hole hitters...

That's been one of the Nats' problems this year too.  Helps put our lineup woes into perspective.

Did you at least keep the game close?

We were rained out yesterday even though there wasn't a cloud in the sky.   :?

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #247: June 18, 2013, 10:17:58 AM »
Won a playoff game last night, other team jumped out to a 6-0 lead on a big 4 run inning. Then we scored 13 unanswered runs.

Next game, Wednesday 6/26 at Ridge Road Park, Germantown.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #248: June 18, 2013, 10:37:05 AM »
Won a playoff game last night, other team jumped out to a 6-0 lead on a big 4 run inning. Then we scored 13 unanswered runs.

Next game, Wednesday 6/26 at Ridge Road Park, Germantown.

It's June.  Playoffs?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #249: June 18, 2013, 01:52:15 PM »
That's been one of the Nats' problems this year too.  Helps put our lineup woes into perspective.

Did you at least keep the game close?

We were rained out yesterday even though there wasn't a cloud in the sky.   :?
nope.  Got worked over pretty good.  We'll get another shot at them in a couple of weeks, hopefully with a full deck.