Author Topic: Minty's "do you still play" thread  (Read 56927 times)

Offline blue911

Re: Minty's "do you still play" thread
« Reply #150: June 09, 2011, 07:02:44 PM »
Need to borrow mine?

No but thank you anyway.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #152: June 16, 2011, 09:11:55 PM »
Went 2-for-3 tonight with an RBI, a run scored and a stolen base. 

Contemplating retirement.  It doesn't get any better than that.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #153: June 16, 2011, 09:12:28 PM »
Still haven't been able to find anyone to throw the ball around with.  I wish baseball were as popular as football :?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #154: June 16, 2011, 09:53:19 PM »
Still haven't been able to find anyone to throw the ball around with.  I wish baseball were as popular as football :?

If you lived in the same god awful cesspool as me, we could hit the batting cages and play catch!

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #155: June 16, 2011, 10:43:26 PM »

I gave PAJr a soft baseball bat (With Marvel superheroes on it) - he carries it around the house :lol:

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #156: June 16, 2011, 10:58:10 PM »
I gave PAJr a soft baseball bat (With Marvel superheroes on it) - he carries it around the house :lol:
That right there, is some fantastic parenting!  Next, he needs a glove with a curly W! Tell him it's just like the one Zim uses.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #157: June 16, 2011, 11:00:48 PM »
That right there, is some fantastic parenting!  Next, he needs a glove with a curly W! Tell him it's just like the one Zim uses.

I've got tickets with Nats money loaded on them, we're gonna hit the team store this weekend :lol:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #158: June 18, 2011, 10:12:09 PM »
Incidentally, I finally got a chance to catch the guy who played in AAA for the Dodgers today.

Wow.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #159: July 30, 2011, 09:20:43 PM »
Former Dodger/Tiger/Marlin farm hand JJ Pearsall.  He struck out 15 in our game today.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #160: August 01, 2011, 11:57:49 PM »
After a 7-3 win tonight, we're now 17-1.  Stupid good.

Online RD

« Reply #161: August 04, 2011, 05:19:39 PM »
It's crazy to find out how many people still play the game. When I was in college, and Title IX caused the axing of our program, I made sure I enjoyed every last minute of the bus rides, plane rides, minutes on the bench, minutes on the mound, everything. That way, when it ended, I had closure. I knew the end was coming.

Then I come home, and people start asking you to play in their leagues. I never knew just how many leagues and people played. I had just assumed things ended when you were done with school or affiliated ball.

I played for about 5 years after college ball was over, but have taken a break for about the last year and a half. Getting married and buying a fixxer upper took all my weekend time. Ive played basketball on weeknights in a league, but that was it.

But starting in September, Im slated to start playing again. Looking forward to it. We're the Expos! Should be pretty good. Most of the guys played ball at the college level, and one was a 4th rounder of the A's a few years back.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #162: August 04, 2011, 09:24:37 PM »
It's crazy to find out how many people still play the game. When I was in college, and Title IX caused the axing of our program, I made sure I enjoyed every last minute of the bus rides, plane rides, minutes on the bench, minutes on the mound, everything. That way, when it ended, I had closure. I knew the end was coming.

Then I come home, and people start asking you to play in their leagues. I never knew just how many leagues and people played. I had just assumed things ended when you were done with school or affiliated ball.

I played for about 5 years after college ball was over, but have taken a break for about the last year and a half. Getting married and buying a fixxer upper took all my weekend time. Ive played basketball on weeknights in a league, but that was it.

But starting in September, Im slated to start playing again. Looking forward to it. We're the Expos! Should be pretty good. Most of the guys played ball at the college level, and one was a 4th rounder of the A's a few years back.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Which league?

Online RD

« Reply #163: August 05, 2011, 01:34:47 AM »
Trying to figure that out. One of my good friends is on the team and he doesn't know which league it is, he just plays lol. They have a playoff game this weekend Im hoping to head out to and check things out. Im just glad it's a wood league, because the shoulder aint what it use to be, and aluminum can send it back the other way much quicker than it came in!

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #164: August 05, 2011, 01:36:23 AM »
Damn.  Nice.
Incidentally, I finally got a chance to catch the guy who played in AAA for the Dodgers today.

Wow.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #165: August 05, 2011, 09:04:23 AM »
Trying to figure that out. One of my good friends is on the team and he doesn't know which league it is, he just plays lol. They have a playoff game this weekend Im hoping to head out to and check things out. Im just glad it's a wood league, because the shoulder aint what it use to be, and aluminum can send it back the other way much quicker than it came in!

Are you in DC?  I played in two leagues down that way (though, it was 10+ years ago now :-[ )

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #166: August 05, 2011, 09:04:40 AM »

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #167: August 05, 2011, 10:52:49 AM »

My biggest problem with pitching again would be come-backers. I really don't think I have the reaction time to get my glove up.

Online RD

« Reply #168: August 05, 2011, 03:15:31 PM »
My biggest problem with pitching again would be come-backers. I really don't think I have the reaction time to get my glove up.

Took one off my forehead in high school. I never had the reaction time lol

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #169: August 05, 2011, 07:31:32 PM »
Former Dodger/Tiger/Marlin farm hand JJ Pearsall.  He struck out 15 in our game today.

baseball-reference doesn't have him at that spelling, can we get a spell check on that last name?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #170: August 05, 2011, 07:35:40 PM »
baseball-reference doesn't have him at that spelling, can we get a spell check on that last name?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=pearsa001gwy

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #171: August 05, 2011, 09:13:03 PM »

You'd be surprised how infrequently it happens.  Plus, if you find a wood bat league it wouldn't be as bad.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #172: August 05, 2011, 09:23:13 PM »
You'd be surprised how infrequently it happens. 

Surprisingly bad timing for this assessment.

:(

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #173: August 05, 2011, 09:25:21 PM »
Just turned to my wife and said, "That's why I'm hesitant to play again."

Scary stuff.

I know it's rare. Played from tee-ball through college and the worst I had was a liner off the wrist.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #174: August 05, 2011, 09:48:51 PM »
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=pearsa001gwy
Hhmph... Not sure why I couldn't find that...

Bad night to be talking about comebackers after Nicasio took one straight on.