Author Topic: Minty's "do you still play" thread  (Read 56926 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Re: Minty's "do you still play" thread
« Reply #100: June 18, 2010, 04:31:18 PM »
Yeah, I didn't have the time to commit to it this year like I thought I would.  Which is fine.  This is a fun group to play with.

I almost didn't play this year since my old team busted up but I was coaxed into playing with a team that was dedicated to improving.  This team was 1-19 last year and my old team earned one of its three wins against this one.  My new team dumped a bunch of players and took on some really talented guys.

I wasn't sure I would fit in because one of the guys they picked up was a kid who's really particualr about having a personal catcher who he convinced to play with us as well so I didn't think I'd get much playing time.  During spring warm-ups I worked with him a bit and he started getting used to me.  Three games in he finally got a start and his buddy caught him but said he really doesn't want to catch any more.  I got his next start and we've been working together ever since.  Our last three games together we've gone 2-1 and the only loss was a defensive debacle where the team committed 6 errors behind him.  One other game was a CGSO and last night we gave up only three earned runs in a 5-4 win.  Plus, we've acquired a ocal high-school coach who can really throw hard and he and I worked a CGSO last week against one of the three best teams in the league.

I went from probably not playing this year because of a lack of playing time to indispensable starting catcher who all the pitchers like working with.  Good thing I stuck it out.  We're now 5-6 and our next three games are against teams behind us in the standings so we should be over .500 in two weeks.

Turned out to be a great decision.