Author Topic: Nationals @ Mets, Game 2  (Read 25297 times)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Re: Nationals @ Mets, Game 2
« Reply #850: April 09, 2011, 10:59:47 PM »
but I do spend 15 hours a week or so solo parenting.
that's like 100 hours in drinking and watching baseball games.:~)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #851: April 09, 2011, 11:01:03 PM »
Ok well you work my weird hours then, minus the procrastination. Also, I don't really exercise much lately, but I do spend 15 hours a week or so solo parenting.

Weird hours?  Not really sure I follow.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #852: April 09, 2011, 11:01:55 PM »
Weird hours?  Not really sure I follow.

Spending 4 hours at the library at 11pm on a Saturday is normal?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #853: April 09, 2011, 11:04:49 PM »
Spending 4 hours at the library at 11pm on a Saturday is normal?

I'm going tomorrow, already did two hours earlier today.  It'd be nice if the libraries were open that late here.  Have I mentioned I miss university life?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #854: April 09, 2011, 11:06:23 PM »
I'm going tomorrow, already did two hours earlier today.  It'd be nice if the libraries were open that late here.  Have I mentioned I miss university life?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah ok never mind then. It also depends on the school, some of them close super early. You might be able to become a Friend of the Mason library or something.

I have to work till like 3am today because I watched the Nats game, installed a new car seat, and built a shelf instead of making these slides today.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #855: April 09, 2011, 11:06:47 PM »
honestly he should feel bad.  that play was the ballgame.  that, the ankiel foul/homer, and the 1st beltran non-strikeout.  nats had a bunch of bad breaks this game, but the hairston drop was all on hairston.

i think morse and werth both get 2 hits tomorrow.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #856: April 09, 2011, 11:09:52 PM »
Alright, we have a 1:10 game tomorrow. Lets go lets go!

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #857: April 09, 2011, 11:17:57 PM »
Alright, we have a 1:10 game tomorrow. Lets go lets go!

which means pudge is probably starting.  ugh.

Offline PC

« Reply #858: April 09, 2011, 11:18:20 PM »
i guess the one positive is that RZ is now batting .357 on the year.

And JW in full Haynes-Werth mode is batting .226 for the season.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #859: April 09, 2011, 11:21:51 PM »
This Haynes-Werth crap is hilarious. Are you guys even watching the games? Werth is the least of our problems.

Offline PC

« Reply #860: April 09, 2011, 11:24:23 PM »
This Haynes-Werth crap is hilarious. Are you guys even watching the games? Werth is the least of our problems.

The .226 BA from him isn't a problem?  His complete lack of impact isn't a problem?  The GIDP tonight a crunch time wasn't a problem?

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #861: April 09, 2011, 11:28:47 PM »
The .226 BA from him isn't a problem?  His complete lack of impact isn't a problem?  The GIDP tonight a crunch time wasn't a problem?

One GIDP in a "crunch time" is not a problem, no. It's baseball.

His BA? Sure, if you ignore his OBP then his BA is a problem.

His complete lack of impact

He's in the two hole. He's about the best number two batter I've seen around. His approach to at-bats is completely professional, he's seeing a ton of pitches and getting on base, he's setting the table for those that comes after him.

I expect him to move down in the order at some point because Morse is choking and Zimmerman can't do it all. Then you can watch for his impact.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #862: April 09, 2011, 11:30:04 PM »
The .226 BA from him isn't a problem?  His complete lack of impact isn't a problem?  The GIDP tonight a crunch time wasn't a problem?
He was 280 something before tonight.  OPS was over 800, it's still early in the season.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #863: April 09, 2011, 11:52:46 PM »
Yeah, people are overreacting to Werth right now. What about Morse, eh? LaRoche? Oh, lets complain about Werth some more.

for the record: I am not letting that GIDP pass. It was awful, however, we have much worse problems than Werth right now.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #864: April 09, 2011, 11:54:43 PM »
Yeah, people are overreacting to Werth right now. What about Morse, eh? LaRoche? Oh, lets complain about Werth some more.

To be fair, it's like...  3 people.  Some of these self-styled anti-negative folk need to remember not to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #865: April 10, 2011, 12:05:34 AM »

for the record: I am not letting that GIDP pass. It was awful, however, we have much worse problems than Werth right now.

LaRoche is hurt, I see DL on the horizon.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #866: April 10, 2011, 12:06:22 AM »
Some of these self-styled anti-negative folk need to remember not to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Who are you referring to with this?

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #867: April 10, 2011, 12:09:06 AM »

LaRoche is hurt, I see DL on the horizon.

That's my point. He's a problem now. Werth is at least producing, getting on base, playing defense, etc etc. This man may be on the DL and we may have to either: A) rely on Hairston everyday or B) (hopefully) call up a Marrero/Minor leaguer. That's much worse than what we're seeing out of Werth.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #868: April 10, 2011, 12:09:34 AM »
Who are you referring to with this?

Anybody who spends more time complaining about other posters than they spend discussing baseball? :shrug:

Not you, if that's what you're asking.

Offline PC

« Reply #869: April 10, 2011, 12:13:04 AM »

One GIDP in a "crunch time" is not a problem, no. It's baseball.

Yes, it is baseball but I seem to recall a game last September when he hit a 9th inning, two run homer off Drew Storen.  But that's baseball too, pre-$126 million baseball.

He's not completely averse to coming through at "crunch time", clearly.  :|

His BA? Sure, if you ignore his OBP then his BA is a problem.

Oh , I don't ignore his OBP at all but the BA component of  his OPB, .226, is REALLY low so it (his OBP) gets dragged down quite a bit.

He's in the two hole. He's about the best number two batter I've seen around. His approach to at-bats is completely professional, he's seeing a ton of pitches and getting on base, he's setting the table for those that comes after him.

I expect him to move down in the order at some point because Morse is choking and Zimmerman can't do it all. Then you can watch for his impact.

Yes, that's all well and good but...are you not at all troubled by his performance, thus far?  Not even a little?  You might not get me calling him "Haynes-Werth", which is understandable,  but I don't get how you can have watched his performance this season and not be even slightly taken aback.

He was 280 something before tonight.  OPS was over 800, it's still early in the season.

It was .259 before tonight...which is also terrible and his OPS is .771, which is not good.  It certainly would have helped his numbers (and the team) if he'd gotten a hit or two tonight.  It's not like Chris Capuano (or the dreck the Mets trotted out there after him) is second coming of Nolan Ryan.

If you can't expect him to get a hit off Capuano et al, when can you?

Offline kirubel94

« Reply #870: April 10, 2011, 12:14:10 AM »
My thoughts about the game-
That first missed called strike really hurt us.
gorzo really piched well until later on.
We keep stranding a lot of baserunners, 4 out of 5 games we lost is because of stranding runners.
Broderick needs to get send back hes not ready , he has stuff but just not ready, bring bally for him and H-Rod for gaudin. i dont know why some people complain about slaten he's done a pretty nice job.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #871: April 10, 2011, 12:21:51 AM »
Yes, it is baseball but I seem to recall a game last September when he hit a 9th inning, two run homer off Drew Storen.  But that's baseball too, pre-$126 million baseball.

Oh come on. This is an absurd comment. Like he choose to hit into the GIDP vs hitting the 2 run homer.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #872: April 10, 2011, 12:21:58 AM »
Werth is like 24th on our list of problems, right ahead of Zimmerman.

Pretty much the whole offense has been lackluster so far - Werth has actually been one of the better performers there.

The defensive lapses from guys that are supposed to be good defenders have been making too many mistakes - Hairston definitely wasn't brought here for his offense, for example.  Carrying Broderick and to a lesser extent Stairs has handcuffed Riggles a bit in his use of the bullpen and bench.  LaRoche and Werth - two guys who have shown they are good hitters in past seasons - have both started off very slowly, and now LaRoche may have shoulder issues.  Those are all way bigger problems than Werth.

I'm not concerned at all with his performance.  Not even a little.  He's one of the best right fielders in baseball.  He's faced some pitchers that do particularly well against him - I have no doubt that that will even out over the course of the season.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #873: April 10, 2011, 12:24:01 AM »
Guys, let's move this discussion over here:

What is your biggest concern about the 2011 Nats? (Ongoing Poll)

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #874: April 10, 2011, 12:24:26 AM »
People here complain a lot about a variety of different things. Quite often it's rational, then there are times when it's completely knee-jerk irrational. Stick around long enough and you'll get the idea of who's on which side of rational with this cast of characters :D

Werth will come around. It might take a few more games, hell it might take a few more weeks, but unless he puts up MVP bordering on HoF numbers in a Nats jersey, he'll always suck to some around here based on his contract and the loss of Dunn.