Author Topic: Off Season  (Read 1586 times)

Nationalzfanatic88

Off Season
« Topic Start: September 01, 2005, 04:26:29 PM »
I just realized whether the Nationals make it to the World Series (Like i know they will :lol:  :wink: ) This season is almost over!! I have this was a great season!!! I LOVED IT!! It also dawned to me that this will be my first offseason EVER!! How will I survive that long without the Nats? I know most people here have offseason experience (and in othes such as Kenzafan WAY more experience :wink: ) So, I was wondering, how is it like? Are there a lot of trades and updates, and when does all that stuff start?

Scot

Off Season
« Reply #1: September 01, 2005, 04:37:53 PM »
October (if the team doesn't make the playoffs) and November are typically pretty dead. Things pick up in December, when FAs start to sign and trades start to get made and the winter meetings are held. There's usually a bit of a lull in January, then things start to heat up again in February with players reporting to camp and spring training games starting. mid-to-late March things start to ehat up as the final roster starts to come into shape, culminating with opening day.

Scot.

Offline Dave B

Off Season
« Reply #2: September 01, 2005, 05:10:24 PM »
In february, when pitchers and catchers report and you see them on tv in the sun wearing shorts, I get the feeling that i had as a kid  when I used to have a catch on the first mild day that shows up in february or march. It might be like 55 degrees, warm enough for a t-shirt (sweatshirt at most) some snow piles lingering, the grass is soggy.  It just feels good to be outside without a jacket and let the air touch your skin.  

That might be the most relectionary thing i have ever written

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Off Season
« Reply #3: September 01, 2005, 08:47:30 PM »
Quote from: "Dave B"

That might be the most relectionary thing i have ever written

Relectionary?

Man, you're too deep for me! :?

Offline Dave B

Off Season
« Reply #4: September 02, 2005, 09:17:47 AM »
reflectionary, is what i meant. it still might not be a word, but it should get the point across

Offline PC

Off Season
« Reply #5: September 04, 2005, 03:41:37 AM »
The Nationals will probably have the most free-agent money available this coming offseason.  After the team is sold, the new owners will probably increase the payroll from where it is now, $48 million, to something about average, $73 million.

Hardball in DC

Off Season
« Reply #6: September 04, 2005, 09:10:52 AM »
Quote from: "PC"
The Nationals will probably have the most free-agent money available this coming offseason.  After the team is sold, the new owners will probably increase the payroll from where it is now, $48 million, to something about average, $73 million.

But there is nothing to spend it on, the free agents this year are hardly worth big dollar investments.  Take a portion of that money and invest it in the player development system and wait until 2006/07 when there is a significantly better crop of free agents

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Re: Off Season
« Reply #7: September 04, 2005, 12:03:32 PM »
Quote from: "Nationalzfanatic88"
I just realized whether the Nationals make it to the World Series (Like i know they will :lol:  :wink: ) This season is almost over!! I have this was a great season!!! I LOVED IT!! It also dawned to me that this will be my first offseason EVER!! How will I survive that long without the Nats? I know most people here have offseason experience (and in othes such as Kenzafan WAY more experience :wink: ) So, I was wondering, how is it like? Are there a lot of trades and updates, and when does all that stuff start?

If the Nats don't make post season play, many fans will be starting to talk about possibilities during the playoffs and World Series. Once the WS is over, focus turns to which players will opt for free agency, and with some which will be non-tendered and making them also free agents, but non-tendered players comes later.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but players have 11 days from when the World Series is over to declare free agency. We'll hear talk of the date teams can negotiate with and sign free agents, then the meat hunt starts. From the first day teams are allowed to sign free agents, the fun starts.

There will be rumors galore leading up to and during the Winter Meetings in December. We'll hear rumors not just on a daily basis, but at times even hourly. As long as there is one quality free agent available, there will be rumors as to where that player will end up. It's almost a game trying to guess where each FA will go.

Most times and for most teams, the best part of the baseball season is the off-season, because there's more possibilities and action then during the regular season. Some fans live for the off-season, because its the time when all things are possible.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #8: September 04, 2005, 04:21:17 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but players have 11 days from when the World Series is over to declare free agency.

15 days from the conclusion of the World Series.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #9: September 04, 2005, 04:22:23 PM »
How will I survive that long without the Nats?

watch football. :D  :D  :D

Offline JMW IV

Off Season
« Reply #10: September 04, 2005, 04:24:58 PM »
Quote from: "Hardball in DC"

But there is nothing to spend it on, the free agents this year are hardly worth big dollar investments.  Take a portion of that money and invest it in the player development system and wait until 2006/07 when there is a significantly better crop of free agents

you said it.

the 2005/2006 FA Market is pitiful.

the biggest names on the list are Jacque Jones, Paul Konerko, and Nomar Garciapparra.

beyond that there is nothing much.  we could find a low-budget steal perhaps, but there is really nothing BIG out there this offseason.

The 2006/2007 Free Agent Pool is going to be MONSTROUS though.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Off Season
« Reply #11: September 04, 2005, 07:21:06 PM »
Quote from: "JMadisonIV"
Quote from: "Hardball in DC"

you said it.

the 2005/2006 FA Market is pitiful.

the biggest names on the list are Jacque Jones, Paul Konerko, and Nomar Garciapparra.

beyond that there is nothing much.  we could find a low-budget steal perhaps, but there is really nothing BIG out there this offseason.

The 2006/2007 Free Agent Pool is going to be MONSTROUS though.

Well, I hope the fans can be patient and not demand immediate big $$ signings.  It would make sense to NOT make long term free agent signings, to keep some powder dry for next season, and perhaps score bigger with the same amount of cash.  

Nonetheless, no reason not to test the market for what's out there.

And don't forget, 3 eights beats 2 aces.

I know, it's not exactly analagous, but the point is, you can often build a very successful team with depth provided by lots of better than average players, vs. signing a few stars to go with journeymen.  

If they go after big name, over the hill guys like Sosa I'm going to puke.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #12: September 04, 2005, 11:37:27 PM »
Quote from: "JMadisonIV"
How will I survive that long without the Nats?

watch football. :D  :D  :D

watch hockey.