Author Topic: Off Season  (Read 1581 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Off Season
« Topic Start: September 04, 2005, 07:21:06 PM »
Quote from: "JMadisonIV"
Quote from: "Hardball in DC"
Quote from: "PC"
The Nationals will probably have the most free-agent money available this coming offseason.  After the team is sold, the new owners will probably increase the payroll from where it is now, $48 million, to something about average, $73 million.

But there is nothing to spend it on, the free agents this year are hardly worth big dollar investments.  Take a portion of that money and invest it in the player development system and wait until 2006/07 when there is a significantly better crop of free agents

you said it.

the 2005/2006 FA Market is pitiful.

the biggest names on the list are Jacque Jones, Paul Konerko, and Nomar Garciapparra.

beyond that there is nothing much.  we could find a low-budget steal perhaps, but there is really nothing BIG out there this offseason.

The 2006/2007 Free Agent Pool is going to be MONSTROUS though.

Well, I hope the fans can be patient and not demand immediate big $$ signings.  It would make sense to NOT make long term free agent signings, to keep some powder dry for next season, and perhaps score bigger with the same amount of cash.  

Nonetheless, no reason not to test the market for what's out there.

And don't forget, 3 eights beats 2 aces.

I know, it's not exactly analagous, but the point is, you can often build a very successful team with depth provided by lots of better than average players, vs. signing a few stars to go with journeymen.  

If they go after big name, over the hill guys like Sosa I'm going to puke.