Author Topic: Davey Management Style  (Read 25950 times)

Offline Obed_Marsh

Re: Davey Management Style
« Reply #275: June 17, 2012, 06:27:41 PM »
I really hope Davey makes good on his promise that he would resign if the Nats don't make the playoffs.

What does anything prior have to do with not making the playoffs? We're still #1.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #276: June 17, 2012, 06:39:58 PM »
What does anything prior have to do with not making the playoffs? We're still #1.

We're number 1 because the Braves are tripping over themselves and the Marlins can't get it together. That's going to change. Especially when Strasburg gets shut down and Gio comes back down to earth

Offline PC

« Reply #277: June 17, 2012, 06:49:10 PM »
We're number 1 because the Braves are tripping over themselves and the Marlins can't get it together. That's going to change. Especially when Strasburg gets shut down and Gio comes back down to earth

The Braves are a bad team.  The just recalled Jurrjens and he was pitching worse than Lannan....and they already have Minor and Delgado, both of whom stink worse than Chein Ming Wang.
The Marlins are the most overrated team in the division.
The Mets are god awful.
The Phillies are worse than the Mets.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #278: June 17, 2012, 07:06:53 PM »
The Braves are a bad team.  The just recalled Jurrjens and he was pitching worse than Lannan....and they already have Minor and Delgado, both of whom stink worse than Chein Ming Wang.
The Marlins are the most overrated team in the division.
The Mets are god awful.
The Phillies are worse than the Mets.

All of those teams are within striking distance of the Nationals.

Offline PC

« Reply #279: June 17, 2012, 07:08:14 PM »
All of those teams are within striking distance of the Nationals.

The Nationals have the biggest lead of any division leader and every other team in the division is worse than they are.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #280: June 17, 2012, 07:58:53 PM »
The Nationals have the biggest lead of any division leader and every other team in the division is worse than they are.

So you're booking the division?

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #281: June 17, 2012, 09:17:19 PM »
While I am not "booking it", at this point I'd venture to say that are odds are better than anyone else in the N.L. East.  If we would have done more with the offense this offseason, I'd be "booking it".

What do I have to give up my Legion of Doom decoder ring or something? ;)

Offline Slateman

« Reply #282: June 17, 2012, 10:11:22 PM »
One other thing: It was brought up earlier, but I really feel like someone should have gotten a spot start on Wednesday, pushing Strasburg to Friday. He was coming off the most pitches he had ever thrown  in the majors. He could have used an extra day. Also would have put our 1/2/3 starters against the probably the hottest team in baseball.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #283: June 17, 2012, 10:14:22 PM »
One other thing: It was brought up earlier, but I really feel like someone should have gotten a spot start on Wednesday, pushing Strasburg to Friday. He was coming off the most pitches he had ever thrown  in the majors. He could have used an extra day. Also would have put our 1/2/3 starters against the probably the hottest team in baseball.
Why? A win is a win. We won the game in Toronto.

At this point the starters need to start as soon as their turn is up because of all these extra awful off days.

Offline PC

« Reply #284: June 24, 2012, 04:40:06 PM »
It would have been nice if Davey had considered the save in today's game happened in the 8th and used Clippard instead of Burnett in a one run game against 3-4-5, 2 righties and a switch hitter who kills batting right.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #285: June 24, 2012, 04:59:06 PM »
I really hope Davey makes good on his promise that he would resign if the Nats don't make the playoffs.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #286: June 24, 2012, 05:05:43 PM »
Slateburg37.

Did not like putting Burnett in there in the 8th.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #287: June 24, 2012, 06:53:59 PM »

We won't win this division if our offense doesn't pick up at some point. The pitching will not be able to carry us all the way.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #288: June 24, 2012, 06:59:57 PM »
Slateburg37.

Did not like putting Burnett in there in the 8th.

Cannot blame Burnett for not being perfect, every night. The pitchers allowed 2 runs; they did their job. The offense scored a run; they did not do their job.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #289: June 24, 2012, 07:41:22 PM »
Cannot blame Burnett for not being perfect, every night. The pitchers allowed 2 runs; they did their job. The offense scored a run; they did not do their job.

The offense never does their job. That doesn't excuse whatever bullpen moves Davey makes.

He put Burnett in to face a battery of right handers and to turn Wieters around to his good side. Abandon the "setup man" thinking and put in a pitcher that makes sense for the situation. 

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #290: June 24, 2012, 07:49:46 PM »
Burnett has been good against both lefties and righties this year, bad things occasionally happen when bullpens constantly have to protect 1 run leads

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #291: June 24, 2012, 07:54:13 PM »
Historically he's much better against LHBs. I would have gone to Mattheus (although I'm not crazy about him) or to Clippard early.

Offline PC

« Reply #292: June 24, 2012, 07:58:25 PM »
Burnett has been good against both lefties and righties this year, bad things occasionally happen when bullpens constantly have to protect 1 run leads

But these are really good righties...  :?

Having to constantly protect 1 run leads, these results are going to happen. We can do all the hindsight talk about which pitcher to use in which situation but you have to score more runs against JAKE FREAKIN' ARRIETA! His ERA was over 6.  If we'd scored 2 flipping runs we might have had a chance to win in extra innings.  Heaven forbid we score five or six runs against an awful pitcher...  >:(

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #293: June 24, 2012, 08:01:48 PM »
Meh, I'm not even mad. And I can't hate Davey putting  Burnett in. He's been brilliant this year against LH and RH hitters. He was 16 for 16 in holds/saves coming in.

I'm with PC, this game is on the offense. Have to score more than 1 run against crap pitching.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #294: June 24, 2012, 08:07:35 PM »
The Nats don't have enough hitters. No more complicated than that. I don't think the Orioles have crap pitching. I suspect that the AL is stronger overall, so the pitching numbers can't be compared.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #295: June 24, 2012, 08:12:15 PM »
The Nats don't have enough hitters. No more complicated than that. I don't think the Orioles have crap pitching. I suspect that the AL is stronger overall, so the pitching numbers can't be compared.

Arietta is not a good pitcher

Hamels is good and Baltimore's bullpen is very good, but Arietta is not a good pitcher

Offline PC

« Reply #296: June 24, 2012, 08:13:39 PM »

So convert his ERA to NL ERA and it's 5 instead of 6?  This is what's so frightening about this upcoming series.  The Rockies have nothing but bad pitchers and I fear we'll have trouble scoring against them too.

Offline Sharp

« Reply #297: June 25, 2012, 08:08:48 AM »
So convert his ERA to NL ERA and it's 5 instead of 6?  This is what's so frightening about this upcoming series.  The Rockies have nothing but bad pitchers and I fear we'll have trouble scoring against them too.
The only thing I'm concerned about with the upcoming series is that our staff's ERAs are going to climb.  That park is a pitcher's worst nightmare.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #298: June 25, 2012, 08:26:11 AM »
The only thing I'm concerned about with the upcoming series is that our staff's ERAs are going to climb.  That park is a pitcher's worst nightmare.

I'm not worried about that.  I'm expecting the staff ERA to climb a bit by the end of the year, it's just absurd where it is right now.  But not this series.  If anything I think its more likely we'll have an inflated confidence in the offense.  I think the pitching will be just fine.  I think we'll bust out a bit in an offensive park vs. a not so great rotation.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #299: June 25, 2012, 08:34:17 AM »
If the starters era's don't inflate, we'll arguable have the best starting rotation in baseball history, they're going to rise, hopefully the offense comes around when they do