Author Topic: Nationals @ Marlins, Game 1  (Read 64992 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Nationals @ Marlins, Game 1
« Reply #25: September 11, 2009, 06:01:04 PM »
GTFO, Riggleman.  He HAS to be related to eagleskins.

Maybe he IS eagleskins :lol:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #26: September 11, 2009, 06:03:54 PM »
I'm confident Rizzo won't let that happen.
but Riggleman would :lmao:

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #27: September 11, 2009, 06:09:49 PM »
okay, hammonds.

so you'd rather see Pete Orr and Cristian Guzman play? :lmao:

at least Bard's worthless ass has been benched for good. :clap:

Yes I would. Alberto Gonzalez is one of the worst everyday players in baseball.

Guzman: 1.3 WAR
Orr: 0.2 WAR
Gonzalez: -0.6 WAR

Gonzalez is terrible and you can't come up with a reason why we should be playing him considering his deficiencies in all aspect of the game.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #28: September 11, 2009, 06:11:28 PM »
Guzman: 1.3 WAR
Orr: 0.2 WAR
Gonzalez: -0.6 WAR

Just out of personal curiosity - where do you and tom find these stats like WAR and VORP?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #29: September 11, 2009, 06:18:48 PM »
Johnson again?  Seriously?

Ain't a wonder he's 14 and 4.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #30: September 11, 2009, 06:22:43 PM »
A HR and a double and Riggleman doesn't have the courtesy to start the kid two games in a row.

That is bad form.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #31: September 11, 2009, 06:32:02 PM »
WAT THE freak. WHY ISNT DESMOND PLAYING. JESUS RIGGLEMAN YOU DUMB SILLY

Offline ColtonWillems

• "You have no integrity"
« Reply #32: September 11, 2009, 06:36:31 PM »
Ouch, no Desmond...very ouch.

Offline NeedaNewNick

« Reply #33: September 11, 2009, 06:48:18 PM »
riggleman's looked better than he is because he's following one of the worst ever

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #34: September 11, 2009, 06:52:36 PM »
Guzman "was taken aback by being asked by Riggleman and Rizzo to move to second and didn't talk to the media" today.

:?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #35: September 11, 2009, 06:55:30 PM »
ray knight: you're not going to find a better offensive 2nd baseman

chase utley
orlando hudson
aaron hill
dustin pedroria
dan uggla
robinson cano
brian roberts

just to name a few

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #36: September 11, 2009, 06:55:38 PM »
Alberto Gonzalez goes 3/3 with 3 doubles two days ago, gets pinch hit for in the 8th and then gets benched in favor of Pete Orr two days in a row.

Desmond piles up 4 RBIs in his first game and gets benched.

not even funny. this is just embarrassing.

Gonzalez SUCKS. SUCKS. HE SUCKS. HE IS NOT A MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL PLAYER.

with Desmond, you have a point though. kid should have been given at least another start for his strong game yesterday. he should really be starting the rest of the season, if only to see if he's the Superman that everyone has been claiming he was going to be since 2005(especially since until 2009, he's been Jimmy Olsen in reality.)

okay, hammonds.

so you'd rather see Pete Orr and Cristian Guzman play? :lmao:

Orr = Gonzalez. they are both equally horrible.

I would rather see pretty much anyone besides them play.

at least Bard's worthless ass has been benched for good. :clap:

cause Nieves(who?) is such a significant upgrade. :?

GTFOHWTBS

it doesn't matter if Nieves, Orr, Bard, or Gonzalez play.

EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. OF. THEM. SUCKS. ASS.

none of them should be playing in the first place, and we're just screwed at catcher no matter what, because Flores got hurt.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #37: September 11, 2009, 06:57:50 PM »
Guzman "was taken aback by being asked by Riggleman and Rizzo to move to second and didn't talk to the media" today.

:?

Guzman is gonna sulk until he is no longer a National because of this. book it.

FLOP, take 2.

he should be on the trade block, asap and just take whatever we can get for him. freak it.

we should have dealt him earlier.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #38: September 11, 2009, 06:58:44 PM »
Gonzalez SUCKS. SUCKS. HE SUCKS. HE IS NOT A MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL PLAYER.
he's a bench player. why the freak would he not play over pete freaking orr though?

cause Nieves(who?) is such a significant upgrade. :?

GTFOHWTBS
actually he is. Nieves isn't good by any means but he better than Bard who is totally worthless.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #39: September 11, 2009, 06:59:45 PM »
Guzman is gonna sulk until he is no longer a National because of this. book it.

Guz is a character guy, unlike FLop. Give him a couple days to mull it over - the team is going to.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #40: September 11, 2009, 07:00:24 PM »
ray knight: you're not going to find a better offensive 2nd baseman

chase utley
orlando hudson
aaron hill
dustin pedroria
dan uggla
robinson cano
brian roberts

just to name a few

:NatsAddictbatsignal:

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #41: September 11, 2009, 07:02:17 PM »
he's a bench player. why the freak would he not play over pete freaking orr though?

because, while nobody ever thought this was possible....Alberto Gonzalez is quite possibly WORSE than Pete freaking Orr.

actually he is. Nieves isn't good by any means but he better than Bard who is totally worthless.

Nieves(who?) has some cool walkup music and a commercial.

I guess that makes him more valuable than Bard. :?

cause it certainly isn't anything baseball-related.  

Nieves is NOT significantly better than Bard. which is bad, because Bard isn't really that good PLUS Bard has been playing hurt for like the past 2 months.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #42: September 11, 2009, 07:03:47 PM »
Guz is a character guy, unlike FLop.

Not necessarily. Guzman sulks and goes into slumps when he doesn't get his way. like when we moved him down to 6th in the batting order and he moped around and played like crap till we moved him back to the 2nd spot.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #43: September 11, 2009, 07:06:40 PM »
Not necessarily. Guzman sulks and goes into slumps when he doesn't get his way. like when we moved him down to 6th in the batting order and he moped around and played like crap till we moved him back to the 2nd spot.

He said he was going to get better after '06, and no one believed him. I certainly didn't. He fixed his eyes and his shoulder and now he's The Hitting Machine.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #44: September 11, 2009, 07:07:51 PM »
I have to back SF up on this one.  Nieves is no great shakes, but Bard is awful.  I remember there being a big debate on this earlier in the season, with everyone insisting Nieves was lucky and that Bard has more pop.  Well, that argument swayed me for a month or two when Bard was "hot" but he's been just as abysmal since as he was before, while Nieves continues to be "lucky."  Don't get me wrong, if we have to see him more than 30-40 times tops next year, I'm going to vomit, but he's modestly preferable over Bard.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #45: September 11, 2009, 07:11:05 PM »
got Josh Johnson on my fantasy team in the playoffs this week. hundreds of dollars on the line. down by 24 pts and need to gain some ground tonight :lmao:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #46: September 11, 2009, 07:12:07 PM »
love you willie harris aka Sweet Ricky Plum.  didn't even need to swing the bat.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #47: September 11, 2009, 07:15:37 PM »
Chico with a nice post on the Guzman/middle infield situation:

First: General manager Mike Rizzo and interim manager Jim Riggleman met on Thursday with Cristian Guzman to talk about a potential position change. Yes -- at this point, it's just a possibility. Guzman, to this point, has played 1,263 major league games, each and every one at shortstop. But the Nationals wanted open the possibility of a switch to second.

Guzman's position in 2010 will depend entirely on free agent/trade activity.

Here's the deal.

"We need a middle infielder," Rizzo said. "An everyday middle infielder. He's one of the two guys. If we're lucky enough to get a second baseman, he stays at short. If what we can get and makes sense for us is a shortstop, we broached the question that he goes to second."
Second: What was Guzman's reaction? Friday, he declined to comment on the matter, but don't read too much into that; he is often reluctant to speak with the media.
Rizzo said that Guzman "was taken by surprise by [the suggested position change]. And that was another reason why we posed the question to him now rather than later. You know, his response was, He's never played second base before. I gave him a laundry list of great players who have continued their careers moving from shortstop to second base, and it kind of sunk in and made some sense. I think that he's a major leaguer, he's a pro, and I think he wants to help the ballclub. If we can rationally show him that this is the best thing for the ballclub, I think he'll jump in with in."

Third: Riggleman on Friday said, rather emphatically, that Guzman's feelings on the potential switch shouldn't even matter. "As far as him being open to it," Riggleman said, "that's really not even a factor. We'll make a call on that; the player doesn't make the call on that... It's a pretty natural thing. A lot of times we think, 'Oh, heaven forbid, we don't want to ruffle any feathers with a ballplayer.' But I mean, Robin Yount, Michael Young, David Eckstein, Cal Ripken -- many guys have moved off shortstop. Whatever you can do to win. Pete Rose comes to spring training: 'Where am I playing this year, skip?' It didn't stop him from getting 4,200 hits. He played first, second, third and left field and went to the all-star game at all four positions, because that's what Sparky Anderson needed. It's about what's best for the team."
Fourth: If the Nats acquire a 2B for next year, Rizzo has no problem, none whatsoever, of keeping Guzman at shortstop.

Fifth: Guzman will not be used at second base at any time this year.

Sixth: The Nationals will begin to give Ian Desmond, the shortstop recalled from Class AAA on Tuesday, some practice time at second base. This will merely enable the team to potentially get him some in-game innings at second base this September. Both Riggleman and Rizzo said unequivocally that they view Desmond's future at shortstop.
Seventh: Whatever the position of Acquired Middle Infielder X, Rizzo prefers him to be "defensively oriented." When I asked Rizzo a question about acquiring somebody more along the lines of a Dan Uggla-profile -- big bat, defensive liabilities -- he didn't rule it out, but said, "I'm looking more to a really good defensively-oriented middle infielder to obviously help our pitching staff."

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #48: September 11, 2009, 07:18:27 PM »
got Josh Johnson on my fantasy team in the playoffs this week. hundreds of dollars on the line. down by 24 pts and need to gain some ground tonight :lmao:

fixed :stir:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #49: September 11, 2009, 07:18:56 PM »
Good info, SF.  Thanks for sharing.