16 (13.4%)
One of the best in MLB
45 (37.8%)
I'm a moran and I don't like Charlie and Dave
4 (3.4%)
They're just ok
9 (7.6%)

Total Members Voted: 117

Author Topic: Charlie Slowes and Dave Jageler  (Read 51210 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: Charlie Slowes and Dave Jageler
« Reply #150: September 27, 2011, 06:30:06 PM »
Yeah, I think it is their producer.

also, I think I heard them say last night after the game that today and tomorrow in the pre-game shows they'd have their season highlights.  Defense one day, offense the other.  Don't remember which order.  If those showed up on the website later tonight, I think that would be swell.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #151: September 27, 2011, 06:31:48 PM »
Jack Hicks, the Jack of all Things. They talk about him ALL the time. He is their producer and apparently a pretty quirky, funny guy.

They asked him a question a couple of seasons ago and he didn't know the answer so they called him the Jack of SOME things for the rest of the night.

Hilarious

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

Offline Tribe Time

• Long Live LYNYRD SKYNYRD!!!
« Reply #155: August 05, 2012, 02:04:28 AM »
There is no better play by play announcer in the MLB, let alone in the tops of sports in general, then Cleveland Indians announcer Tom Hamilton.  It's not even close.

(at 0:25)

Slowes and Jageler aren't in the same league as Hamilton.  (...And I'm not talking AL vs NL)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #156: August 05, 2012, 02:13:15 AM »
:roll: :idiot:

:razz:

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #157: August 05, 2012, 08:22:47 AM »
:roll: :idiot:

:razz:

Yes... I'M the idiot.  Sure.  You got me.    :roll: :rofl:

Truth hurts ya sometimes, doesn't it.  Face it, Hamilton is one of the best in MLB, if not the best.  Slowes and Jageler aren't even close.

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #158: August 05, 2012, 08:54:08 AM »
Charlie and Dave are freaking awesome, and I love T Mo's relation to that homer, I took a screenshot and made it the background on my iPad

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #159: August 05, 2012, 08:59:33 AM »

Truth hurts ya sometimes, doesn't it.  Face it, Hamilton is one of the best in MLB, if not the best.  Slowes and Jageler aren't even close.

I'm sorry, but that walkoff call doesn't impress me the same way Charlie's do. His voice conveys a greater level of excitement. Something off about Hamilton's, coming from an outsider. :shrug:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #160: August 05, 2012, 09:14:05 AM »

How is it truth when it's all a matter of opinion?

I have XM radio and I have listened to a lot of radio teams.  Charlie and Dave are among the best in baseball.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #161: August 05, 2012, 09:15:07 AM »
Face it, Hamilton is one of the best in MLB, if not the best.  Slowes and Jageler aren't even close.

Only an idiot argues taste but I prefer my accouncers with a lower vocal range and a richer timbre. Hamilton is too high pitched and the breathy yells don't do anything for me. Much like Manny Acta, you are welcome to keep him.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #162: August 05, 2012, 09:16:52 AM »
I don't think you can judge a play by play guy based on a short montage of exciting calls. We've listened to C&D's entertaining banter through some terrible years. Any baseball fan should understand that there's familiarity and shared hard times involved here. I'm sure you feel the same way about Tom Hamilton, but he doesn't sound like anything special to me.

All your "face it, truth hurts" trolling... just stop. We really don't care about the Indians. Find an Indians board for that shared experience.

There is no better play by play announcer in the MLB, let alone in the tops of sports in general, then Cleveland Indians announcer Tom Hamilton.  It's not even close.

(at 0:25)

Slowes and Jageler aren't in the same league as Hamilton.  (...And I'm not talking AL vs NL)

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #163: August 05, 2012, 10:10:21 AM »
I'm sorry, but that walkoff call doesn't impress me the same way Charlie's do. His voice conveys a greater level of excitement. Something off about Hamilton's, coming from an outsider. :shrug:

Slowes has a "greater level of excitement"???  Is there something wrong with your hearing?  Hamilton is much more excited.

And "SEE   YOU   LATER"    Doesn't compare to "Swung on and belted, to deep left, a waaaaaaaaaaay back, WAY OUTTA HERE!"

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #164: August 05, 2012, 10:14:04 AM »
I don't think you can judge a play by play guy based on a short montage of exciting calls. We've listened to C&D's entertaining banter through some terrible years. Any baseball fan should understand that there's familiarity and shared hard times involved here. I'm sure you feel the same way about Tom Hamilton, but he doesn't sound like anything special to me.

All your "face it, truth hurts" trolling... just stop. We really don't care about the Indians. Find an Indians board for that shared experience.

Trolling?

You surely haven't read any of my other posts have you.

Might want to go check up on that before you label me as a "troll" brilliant.

First of all, this post is about play by play announcers.  Just because I don't see Slowes and Jageler as one of, or the best, doesn't make me a troll.  It's a difference of opinion.  But you see, you're one of those "if you don't like my opinion, you're a troll" kinds of people.

But as mentioned, go through my posts.  Do some research before you label someone brilliant.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #165: August 05, 2012, 10:17:13 AM »
Slowes has a "greater level of excitement"???  Is there something wrong with your hearing?  Hamilton is much more excited.

And "SEE   YOU   LATER"    Doesn't compare to "Swung on and belted, to deep left, a waaaaaaaaaaay back, WAY OUTTA HERE!"

Yeah, Bob's "SEE YOU LATER" isn't the greatest call (Bob Carpenter is the TV guy - that's not Charlie or Dave with that call).  Tom Hamilton is good, I'll give you that.  My brother lives in Iowa and is a big Indians fan, and he really likes him.  Still, everyone has different tastes and Charlie and Dave are a really good team.  Part of that is the chemistry - they really play off each other and work well together.  To each his own.  At least we're not Cardinals fans and stuck with Mike Shannon, or - worse yet, in my opinion - Yankees fans who have deal with John Sterling and Suzyn Waldron.   

Offline Tribe Time

« Reply #166: August 05, 2012, 10:19:37 AM »
Yeah, Bob's "SEE YOU LATER" isn't the greatest call (Bob Carpenter is the TV guy - that's not Charlie or Dave with that call).  Tom Hamilton is good, I'll give you that.  My brother lives in Iowa and is a big Indians fan, and he really likes him.  Still, everyone has different tastes and Charlie and Dave are a really good team.  Part of that is the chemistry - they really play off each other and work well together.  To each his own.  At least we're not Cardinals fans and stuck with Mike Shannon, or - worse yet, in my opinion - Yankees fans who have deal with John Sterling and Suzyn Waldron.

AGREED.

I Hate...LOATHE  John Sterling.  Cannot stand his "yankees win.  yankees win.  thaaaaaaaa yankees win".  Makes me want to claw my eardrums out hearing that.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #167: August 05, 2012, 11:04:51 AM »
wow indians fan posting about indians announcers!  weird!

some nats fans will say charlie/dave are the best, yankees fans will say sterling is the best, indians fans will say hamilton is the best, etc. 

to say it's not even close, is an idiotic statement.

fwiw, i think charlies and dave are some of the best, but there are others out there who are good too.  and i think sterling is pretty damn good and obviously a lot of people think the same thing (as he's been doing yanks broadcasts since '89).

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #168: August 05, 2012, 11:14:07 AM »
some nats fans will say charlie/dave are the best, yankees fans will say sterling is the best, indians fans will say hamilton is the best, etc. 

I know a lot of generations of Yankees fans but cannot think of a single one who claims Sterling is the best. He is more like that doddering grandparent whose folksy little nicknames have merged into nostalgia and peoples memories. Some people love him but that is far cry from saying he is the best.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #169: August 05, 2012, 11:16:10 AM »
I know a lot of generations of Yankees fans but cannot think of a single one who claims Sterling is the best. He is more like that doddering grandparent whose folksy little nicknames have merged into nostalgia and peoples memories. Some people love him but that is far cry from saying he is the best.

i know a lot who do like him.

my point is, don't come into a nats forum and say hey the indians announcer is the best and it's not close.  a lot of teams like their broadcasters (charlie/dave, fp) while some don't like them (bob). 

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #170: August 05, 2012, 11:16:30 AM »

I strongly doubt Yankees fans will say that the Yankees radio team is the best, since the Yankees radio team ranked dead last for listener satisfaction in the Fangraphs survey. The Indians announcer did score more highly than Charlie and Dave, earning a #4 ranking over C&D's #6, but there were also just 40 Indians listeners who voted, far lower than most other teams.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #171: August 05, 2012, 11:17:50 AM »
I strongly doubt Yankees fans will say that the Yankees radio team is the best, since the Yankees radio team ranked dead last for listener satisfaction in the Fangraphs survey. The Indians announcer did score more highly than Charlie and Dave, earning a #4 ranking over C&D's #6, but there were also just 40 Indians listeners who voted, far lower than most other teams.

so you believe all those rankings?  and the dude has been doing it since 1989, so obviously he's doing something right.  some people don't like suzy, but again most i know like sterling.

again that's not the point ...

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #172: August 05, 2012, 11:19:05 AM »
i know a lot who do like him.

Liking him is not the same as saying he is a good announcer or play by play guy. For example, I liked Harry Caray but never suffered from the delusion that he was a good announcer.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #173: August 05, 2012, 11:19:10 AM »
so you believe all those rankings?  and the dude has been doing it since 1989, so obviously he's doing something right.  some people don't like suzy, but again most i know like sterling.

again that's not the point ...

From the link

30. New York Yankees
Broadcasters: John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman
Ratings on a 1-5 scale (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 2.3, 2.0, 2.1

Three Reader Comments
• “What can I say about John Sterling that hasn’t already been said about any of history’s greatest monsters?”
• “Ask John Sterling if you can predict baseball.”
• “My mother would never let us say anything bad about Suzyn Waldman because she is a cancer survivor. That said, her most memorable contribution to the broadcast, in my memory, was when she declared that she was going to challenge Kyle Farnsworth to a cookie baking contest. The results were not reported to my knowledge.”

Notes
When there’s praise among reader, it’s generally for what I’d guess you’d call the “timbre” of Sterling’s voice and for Waldman’s clubhouse reports. Such comments, however, are greatly outnumbered by criticisms — largely concerning Sterling’s belabored trademark calls and poor eyesight and the pitch of Waldman’s own voice.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #174: August 05, 2012, 11:22:07 AM »
The complaint I hear around Suzyn Waldman most often is that she brings little to the broadcast other than estrogen and tears. Considering how few plays or calls actually get called by Sterling as he natters on it seems uncharitable but I am thankful that I don't listen to them enough to have strong opinions.