Author Topic: Josh Barfield traded to Indians  (Read 3578 times)

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Josh Barfield traded to Indians
« Topic Start: November 08, 2006, 07:25:09 PM »
Let the wheeling and dealing begin!

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061108&content_id=1737056&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

CLEVELAND -- Mere days into the Hot Stove season, the Indians have addressed one of their most glaring holes.

The Tribe acquired 23-year-old second baseman Josh Barfield from the Padres on Wednesday in exchange for infielder Kevin Kouzmanoff and reliever Andrew Brown.

Barfield, a legitimate Rookie of the Year candidate in the National League this season, gives the Indians some much-needed speed and fills the gap at a position that lacked an everyday presence since the July 30 trade of Ronnie Belliard to the Cardinals.

"He satisfies one of our biggest offseason needs, not only as a short-term fit, but also a potential long-term fit," general manager Mark Shapiro said of Barfield. "He already has a year of service under his belt, and he has the upside that often comes with young players. He's a good defender and is a guy that has a lot of upside potential with his bat. He's a great teammate, hard worker, and he complements our existing core of players really well."

Barfield, the son of former Blue Jays and Yankees outfielder and 1986 American League home run champ Jesse Barfield, made his Major League debut Opening Day in '06. He went on to hit .280 with 13 homers and 58 RBIs for the NL West champs and finished second among big-league rookies with 21 stolen bases.

When initially informed of the trade, Barfield was shocked. But he soon warmed up to the idea of playing in Jacobs Field.

"I had no idea I was even being considered to be traded," he said. "It took me by surprise. It's starting to sink in now, and I'm realizing it's going to be a better situation for me."

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #1: November 08, 2006, 07:38:41 PM »
Where the relevance to the Nationals?   Or are you planning on posting every trade that takes place between now and April?   :shock:

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2: November 08, 2006, 07:59:26 PM »
Quote from: "Senators2005"
Where the relevance to the Nationals?   Or are you planning on posting every trade that takes place between now and April?   :shock:

I think this opens up the possibility of Soriano going to the Pads (read that somewhere).

Anyway. Its not like there is so much traffic on this board that we need to limit new threads

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #3: November 08, 2006, 08:18:33 PM »
Quote from: "Dave B"

I think this opens up the possibility of Soriano going to the Pads (read that somewhere).

Anyway. Its not like there is so much traffic on this board that we need to limit new threads
well true it IS the off season...but we still like to limit the discussion to Nationals related information or the thread list is going to become rather cluttered and turn the people off who come here to get information on the Nats.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #4: November 08, 2006, 08:57:10 PM »
I guess I'm just one of those people who likes everything in one place (less clicks).  So long as we are not starting new threads every five minutes, like the caps board

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #5: November 08, 2006, 10:33:52 PM »
:roll:

Actually, it's not everyday that a Josh Barfield-like player gets traded.  Want me to go back and see if every thread in General Discussion is directly about the Nationals?  I just thought this was an interesting trade, plus it's the first major trade of the offseason.  If you don't care, don't post.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #6: November 08, 2006, 10:53:53 PM »
Quote from: "2k6nats"
Want me to go back and see if every thread in General Discussion is directly about the Nationals?

Stop being silly, that's my job...  :wink:

IMO trades involving teams other than the Nats belong in Off Topic, or Trades, Transactions and Rumors, in one or two threads put aside for non Nationals related deals.

There aren't too many members who come to this board looking to read about what other teams are doing. I know I certainly don't.

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #7: November 08, 2006, 11:21:32 PM »
OK, this is Nats-related:  The Filthies' going after Soriano come Sunday is all over the electronic wonderland - seems to me that this is almost the worst possible nightmare for Nats fans.  No, it IS the worst possible nightmare.  If they want a big bat to back up Howard, why did those cheese steaks trade Abreu??  Wankers.

« Reply #8: November 09, 2006, 06:37:28 AM »
Quote from: "Ali the Baseball Cat"
OK, this is Nats-related:  The Filthies' going after Soriano come Sunday is all over the electronic wonderland - seems to me that this is almost the worst possible nightmare for Nats fans.  No, it IS the worst possible nightmare.  If they want a big bat to back up Howard, why did those cheese steaks trade Abreu??  Wankers.

I would think the worst team that (S0)rian0 could go to at this point is the Mutts but that is just me.  I don't like anything that improves their chances of repeating the NL East.  Omar will shoot them in the their own foot, I guarntee.  But he isn't going there.

Having (S0)rian0 doesn't mean really jack ultimately and doesn't mean any team that has him is guarnteed playoff bound.  Any team that meets anywhere near his majesty's demands is a sucker.  No way is a player worth that much, especially one who just had a career year and will most likely be on the decline over the years of a long contract.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #9: November 09, 2006, 09:39:15 AM »
I hope he goes to the team that gets us the highest possible pick.  \

What are the rules?  We cant get a pick higher than 15 or something

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #10: November 09, 2006, 02:55:09 PM »
2007 First Year Player Draft Order[list=1]
  • Tampa Bay
  • Kansas City
  • Chi Cubs
  • Pittsburgh
  • Baltimore
  • Washington
  • Milwaukee
  • Colorado (1)
  • Arizona (1)
  • San Francisco (1)
  • Florida (2)
  • Seattle (2)
  • Cleveland (2)
  • Atlanta
  • Cincinnati (3)
  • Texas (3)
  • Houston
  • St. Louis
  • Philadelphia
  • Boston
  • Toronto
  • LA Dodgers (4)
  • San Diego (4)
  • LA Angels
  • Chi White Sox
  • Oakland
  • Detroit
  • Minnesota
  • NY Mets (5)
  • NY Yankees (5)[/list:o]The top 15 draft spots have been protected up until the new player agreement, and I assume those top 15 spots are still protected. The bracketed numbers 1 through 5 represent teams who finished with the same record. Their exact order may change due to sub rules regarding the draft.

Offline ColtonWillems

• "You have no integrity"
« Reply #11: November 09, 2006, 07:17:51 PM »
Why didn't we jump on a kid like Barfield, he'd look great in our lineup. Does this mean that we'll be seeing an infield of Zimmerman, Guzman, Lopez, and Johnson (which I have no problem with)

Offline Dave B

« Reply #12: November 09, 2006, 07:19:47 PM »
Quote from: "ColtonWillems"
Why didn't we jump on a kid like Barfield, he'd look great in our lineup. Does this mean that we'll be seeing an infield of Zimmerman, Guzman, Lopez, and Johnson (which I have no problem with)

We dont have anything of value that we can afford to trade

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #13: November 10, 2006, 10:13:07 AM »
Quote from: "2k6nats"
:roll:

Actually, it's not everyday that a Josh Barfield-like player gets traded.  Want me to go back and see if every thread in General Discussion is directly about the Nationals?  I just thought this was an interesting trade, plus it's the first major trade of the offseason.  If you don't care, don't post.

"Josh Barfield-like?"  Hmm.  His statistics were good, but not great.  A rookie too -- its not like the Pads were giving away an all-star. Major trade?  I think not.  The Indians fill a hole that they have, but it remains to be seen if Barfield will be productive over time.  The Reaction on the White Sox board (www.whitesoxinteractive.com) was that the Padres got taken to the cleaners, and that the Indians (as direct competition) improved.  (Although the discussion was in forum dedicated to baseball generally, and NOT to the White Sox).  I really don't see this as a lot to get excited about., unless you're an Indians or Padres fan.