Author Topic: Ian Desmond Appreciation Thread  (Read 32577 times)

Offline MorseTheHorse

Re: Ian Desmond Appreciation Thread
« Reply #250: July 02, 2012, 02:52:30 PM »
I'm not sure he deserves to be eating KC barbecue while Lowrie is breathing just about the most foul air in the country

fair enough, I feel bad Lowrie didn't make it as well.  But if the question is should player X made it over Lowrie, then the answer would probably be no where player X is any of the 3 NL All-Star shortstops. 

Offline TylerDC

• The Future.
« Reply #251: July 02, 2012, 03:35:18 PM »
I'm not sure he deserves to be eating KC barbecue while Lowrie is breathing just about the most foul air in the country, but I'm happy with Desi's season and have said that when you are facing a fastball pitcher and we need contact to drive someone in, he may be the guy I'd like to have up.

You look at his offense, and his numbers are like his rookie year, except for the ones in red. 
2010 - .269 /.308 /  .392, 10 HR (season), .308 wOBA, 4.9 BB%, 19.0 K%, .317 BABIP, 17 SB (season)
2012  -.276 /.308 /  ..484, 13 HR (<1/2 season), .340 wOBA, 4.4 BB%, 19.5 K%, .311 BABIP, 8 SB (<1/2 season)

yes, the red stands out.  He grew into his power at age 27.  Other than that, he is fundamentally the same hitter he always was.  The consistency in BABIP shows this isn't flukey.  The power potential was always there, and good for Davey to help him bring it out when he took over last year.  The RBIs have followed with the power.  He was tremendously miscast as a leadoff hitter.  This guy should be a fixture in the #6 spot (or maybe the #3 spot at times), and we can dream of the days when the line up is filled with enough good hitters to make him a #7 guy.

The other huge improvement (also reflected in his stats) is his defense.  There's no question he his arm and hands cost the team a lot of runs the past few years, and that his defense was below average.  This year, if you buy UZR/150, he may be 15 runs better than in the past.  Strange we all see the improvement in defense, but that the one metric that does not show it is traditional fielding percentage.  In this case, the advanced stats back up the eyes.

Great post. :clap:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #252: July 02, 2012, 03:48:37 PM »
MTH - You know, I had a longer intro sentence that I edited out.  If I were picking the all star team, I probably would have had Lowrie and Desmond as backups and not Castro, and maybe LaRoche instead of LaHair.  That said, LaHair has abotu as good offensive rate stats as LaRoche.  It is just his number of PAs and games that keep some totals low.  Castro isn't a bad pick, it is just Lowrie is the best offensive SS and has been fine defenisively.   I think that LaRussa engaged in his likes and dislikes on this one, disparages OBP, likes a guy who is more of an athlete, and has a grudge against anyone who smacks of a sabr-friendly approach to the game.  Same guy who walked on on moneyball because he felt it disparaged scouts too much went with the guy who was the scouts wet dream against the college 2d baseman playing out of position, even at an all star level.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #253: July 03, 2012, 02:10:35 PM »
KING

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #254: July 03, 2012, 02:16:24 PM »
Can someone shop the KC crown on that pic of Desmond?  I need a new avatar. 

NEVER DOUBT THE KING!!!!!!!!!!!!

:whip:  :whip:  :whip:

Offline PC

« Reply #255: July 03, 2012, 02:28:04 PM »
I love Espinosa's defense.  What I don't love is him at the plate.  I have no expectation that Espinosa will ever get better.  He'll always be Mark Reynolds with less power...at the plate.  But his defense is very good.

I think Ian Desmond is a harder worker because he's less gifted than Espinosa that's why I think he could become a better all-around player.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #256: July 03, 2012, 04:46:24 PM »

:lmao: 

You finally get one right and you're going to crow about it?!?! 

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #257: July 03, 2012, 05:49:40 PM »
I've always liked Desmond because he's a nice guy and tossed my little brother a ball once, it's great to see him play well.

I've never heard a bad word spoken about Desmond anywhere, and I've heard 100s say what a genuinely nice person he is

Offline PC

« Reply #258: July 03, 2012, 05:54:57 PM »

You finally get one right and you're going to crow about it?!?! 

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:

Actually, I've gotten lots of them right.  THIS is the one I chose to crow about.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #259: July 03, 2012, 05:58:54 PM »
Actually, I've gotten lots of them right.  THIS is the one I chose to crow about.

You're so predictable.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #260: July 03, 2012, 07:41:52 PM »
Desmond crushing it

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #261: July 03, 2012, 07:45:38 PM »
Desmond crushing it

i thought he sucked?

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #262: July 03, 2012, 07:58:43 PM »

:rofl:

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #263: July 03, 2012, 08:01:11 PM »
:worship:

Beast

:clap:

Offline spit

« Reply #264: July 04, 2012, 01:30:52 AM »
9 for 11 against lincecum.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #265: July 04, 2012, 01:44:23 AM »
http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=211180

Another Reason to Appreciate Ian.  Great story!

Nats Shortstop Ian Desmond Provides Heartwarming Experience For Sick Kid

WASHINGTON (WUSA) -- On June 5, Ian Desmond had one of his best games of the season. The Nationals shortstop -- who was selected for his first all-star game on Sunday -- walloped game-tying hits in three consecutive at-bats, leading Washington to a thrilling 7-6 extra innings victory over the New York Mets.

Following the game, Desmond was asked to describe why he has been a catalyst for clutch hitting in 2012. Desmond went on to explain his relationship with two sick youngsters.

"Before I went up for my first at-bat, I said, 'Hey, if these kids can battle through leukemia and cancer, I can calm myself down enough to just get a hit...just put enough concentration into that at-bat," said Desmond.

"Those guys were definitely on my mind when I was up there. I thank god for putting them in my life."

One of those kids happens to be Ethan Brown, 20, who was diagnosed Neurofibromatosis type-two (NF2) four years ago. Through UnashamedAthletes.com, Desmond was connected to Brown via Twitter, sent prayers Brown's way and the two have communicated a few times a week ever since.

"We talk about general things like hobbies and baseball," Brown told me through an email exchange. "I try to be an encouragement to him by wishing him good luck when he plays games."

Since 2008, Brown has had two surgeries to remove a brain tumor, and is currently undergoing chemotherapy to avoid another surgery on a new tumor. The tumors have left Brown legally deaf. His only way of hearing is through a cochlear implant.

On Saturday, Desmond invited Brown to come see the Nats take on the Braves in Atlanta -- the latter happens to be Ethan's favorite team. Desmond left his buddy three tickets, leaving Brown ecstatic for the opportunity. He traveled two hours all the way from Liberty, South Carolina, thrilled at the chance to meet Desmond in the tunnel at Turner Field.

Through weeks of communication, Desmond found out that Brown's favorite baseball is Chipper Jones. Desmond presented Brown with a signed baseball from the Braves legend. The message on the ball read 'Ethan, God Bless and Good luck, Chipper Jones #10.' Desmond also signed some additional gear and the two posed for pictures. Brown was overwhelmed with joy.

"I am very blessed to have Desi in my life as my friend. He is a very humble guy and a very good role model. Desi takes the time to make a difference in people's lives," said Brown.

With Brown's very own life in jeopardy, just a few moments of Desmond's time has made life a little more bearable.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #266: July 04, 2012, 07:35:12 AM »

The King is a real class act.  I hope the dude keeps his asskicking season going.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #267: July 04, 2012, 08:11:37 AM »

The King is a real class act.  I hope the dude keeps his asskicking season going.

Amen! Could you imagine if Desi pulled down a Silver Slugger and Gold Glove? Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants... That aside, Desi truly is a class act. I know we all get mad at him when he makes a bone head play, which happily has happening much less this year, but it's impossible not to root for the guy. He's truly an ambassador for the Nats.

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #268: July 04, 2012, 08:21:39 AM »
http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=211180

Another Reason to Appreciate Ian.  Great story!

Nats Shortstop Ian Desmond Provides Heartwarming Experience For Sick Kid

WASHINGTON (WUSA) -- On June 5, Ian Desmond had one of his best games of the season. The Nationals shortstop -- who was selected for his first all-star game on Sunday -- walloped game-tying hits in three consecutive at-bats, leading Washington to a thrilling 7-6 extra innings victory over the New York Mets.

Following the game, Desmond was asked to describe why he has been a catalyst for clutch hitting in 2012. Desmond went on to explain his relationship with two sick youngsters.

"Before I went up for my first at-bat, I said, 'Hey, if these kids can battle through leukemia and cancer, I can calm myself down enough to just get a hit...just put enough concentration into that at-bat," said Desmond.

"Those guys were definitely on my mind when I was up there. I thank god for putting them in my life."

One of those kids happens to be Ethan Brown, 20, who was diagnosed Neurofibromatosis type-two (NF2) four years ago. Through UnashamedAthletes.com, Desmond was connected to Brown via Twitter, sent prayers Brown's way and the two have communicated a few times a week ever since.

"We talk about general things like hobbies and baseball," Brown told me through an email exchange. "I try to be an encouragement to him by wishing him good luck when he plays games."

Since 2008, Brown has had two surgeries to remove a brain tumor, and is currently undergoing chemotherapy to avoid another surgery on a new tumor. The tumors have left Brown legally deaf. His only way of hearing is through a cochlear implant.

On Saturday, Desmond invited Brown to come see the Nats take on the Braves in Atlanta -- the latter happens to be Ethan's favorite team. Desmond left his buddy three tickets, leaving Brown ecstatic for the opportunity. He traveled two hours all the way from Liberty, South Carolina, thrilled at the chance to meet Desmond in the tunnel at Turner Field.

Through weeks of communication, Desmond found out that Brown's favorite baseball is Chipper Jones. Desmond presented Brown with a signed baseball from the Braves legend. The message on the ball read 'Ethan, God Bless and Good luck, Chipper Jones #10.' Desmond also signed some additional gear and the two posed for pictures. Brown was overwhelmed with joy.

"I am very blessed to have Desi in my life as my friend. He is a very humble guy and a very good role model. Desi takes the time to make a difference in people's lives," said Brown.

With Brown's very own life in jeopardy, just a few moments of Desmond's time has made life a little more bearable.

I'm a real softie for things like that, i am only 23 and have lost 3 close friends to cancer, gestures like these from desi warm my heart. Good on him

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #269: July 04, 2012, 01:57:07 PM »
Desi is always very personable at fan events.  Have always been a fan!  Things like this make me proud to be a fan of his!

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #270: July 04, 2012, 02:04:47 PM »
not to go to over the top, but does anyone doubt Desmond will get some MVP votes this season?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #271: July 04, 2012, 02:07:18 PM »
not to go to over the top, but does anyone doubt Desmond will get some MVP votes this season?

he'll get votes, but I doubt he gets serious consideration

Offline Kentucky_National

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
« Reply #272: July 04, 2012, 02:29:14 PM »
Not kidding I know that kid in the article very well. I can't even begin to describe to you guys the impact that Ian has had on Ethan's life. It's unreal.

Offline santanaf

Just another reason Ian Desmond is awesome
« Reply #273: July 06, 2012, 02:49:40 PM »
I went to yesterday's TBTC game and absolutely loved it. The uniforms were great, the effort among the grounds crew and ushers was a nice touch, and I just really liked the uniforms (though the NY Giants unis were pretty sweet too). I brought my 1940's glove along (closest I had to the era) and walked over to Ian as he was standing along the fence. I told him that with the old unis he needed an older style glove. He check it out and decided to go warm up with it. A good time was had by all.

Then he threw it over to Espinosa

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Pretty awesome.