Author Topic: The Weather (2012)  (Read 44620 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan2

Re: The Weather (2012)
« Reply #900: October 31, 2012, 01:06:09 PM »
My sister in "upstate" New Jersey has a power restoration estimate of Nov 8th. :o

Most of my US clients are in NY/NJ...I haven't gotten an outside e-mail yet today.  I wonder if they'll have power back before the end of the week.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #901: October 31, 2012, 01:30:42 PM »
Yikes. 

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #902: October 31, 2012, 01:36:30 PM »
My sister in "upstate" New Jersey has a power restoration estimate of Nov 8th. :o
That sucks bad. My family in WV lost their power for about that amount of time after the derecho. Hope she has a generator.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #903: October 31, 2012, 02:29:47 PM »
ugh.

One of my co-workers is trapped in their home in NJ, their generator ran dry and they can't get out of their neighborhood due to downed trees.

Offline GburgNatsFan2

« Reply #904: October 31, 2012, 02:57:28 PM »
She does, but there's no gasoline station with power within 30 miles. Fortunately for her, she's in pristine northern New Jersey, has a stream running off the mountain behind her home, and a gas stove so she can boil water.

My other sister (central Jersey) found an open station to buy gasoline. It took her three hours to get to the pumps, the line was so long. Her area is urban, but she has city water, which they've been advised to boil.

They are both now treating every trip away from their houses very carefully as they do not want to run their cars out of fuel.

That sucks bad. My family in WV lost their power for about that amount of time after the derecho. Hope she has a generator.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #905: October 31, 2012, 03:05:40 PM »
My other sister (central Jersey) found an open station to buy gasoline. It took her three hours to get to the pumps, the line was so long. Her area is urban, but she has city water, which they've been advised to boil.
Boy do I understand that, I was visiting them at the time and after the storm I had to wait in line for at least an hour to get gas. Waited once, realized they wouldn't take credit cards without power :doh: (no hand-copy things) then had to run back to get cash and return. We needed the gas to get the hell out of dodge, not for a generator thankfully -- my relatives had enough gas to use and thankfully my grandmother lives on a big power line so she got power back quickly and became a "haven" for the rest of the family.

Online imref

« Reply #906: October 31, 2012, 10:19:46 PM »
She does, but there's no gasoline station with power within 30 miles. Fortunately for her, she's in pristine northern New Jersey, has a stream running off the mountain behind her home, and a gas stove so she can boil water.

They are both now treating every trip away from their houses very carefully as they do not want to run their cars out of fuel.

my co-worker is in similar shape, out of gas in the cars and the generator, 3 hour waits for gas at the nearest open station.

Offline GburgNatsFan2

« Reply #907: November 01, 2012, 08:25:43 AM »
Well, the power company outdid themselves. Both sisters have power this morning.

my co-worker is in similar shape, out of gas in the cars and the generator, 3 hour waits for gas at the nearest open station.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #908: November 01, 2012, 06:06:03 PM »
I don't know if it was just dumb luck that Sandy missd us directly headon or what, but I have to give Pepco props for their work this time.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #909: November 01, 2012, 06:25:17 PM »
I don't know if it was just dumb luck that Sandy missd us directly headon or what, but I have to give Pepco props for their work this time.

I'll admit I don't watch TV news, could care less about their chicken little reporting. Likewise I've kept somewhat abreast of news online, and I don't exactly get it. We got the brunt of the rain, right? I mean the DC area got pounded with rain when others were spared. I've got a weather station at my house, we had a high gust of 78mph here.

Likewise I'm reading New Jersey is in ruins, without explanation for why. They couldn't have gotten that dramatically worse winds than we did, 80mph is pretty damn significant. So is it just a case of morons living on an ocean and then crying foul when the ocean comes a calling? We got brutalized with the "derecho" storm. We got far more rain than other locales with Sandy.

I guess I'm a cold hearted son of a nag. I don't want to hear people crying when the big one wipes out LA... And far as I've seen, the major impact of Sandy on NJ versus here is simply we don't live on the freaking ocean. It's horrible people are suffering, but at the same time... when I read people mourning two idiots who put a generator in their home and died of carbon monoxide poisoning as "victims of Sandy"? Okay... There's a reason I love this area, and its exactly because unless an asteroid destroys the planet, we don't need to worry about natural disasters. I'm sure the Romans living in Pompeii loved the pretty mountain sightlines, too.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #910: November 01, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »
Likewise I'm reading New Jersey is in ruins, without explanation for why. They couldn't have gotten that dramatically worse winds than we did, 80mph is pretty damn significant. So is it just a case of morons living on an ocean and then crying foul when the ocean comes a calling? We got brutalized with the "derecho" storm. We got far more rain than other locales with Sandy.

I'll claim ignorance if found to be wrong but I think Jersey got it bad for 2 reasons.   It's closer to the Ocean than us (surge) and a large damaged part of the state sat on the north side of the hurricane.    As the hurricane rotates in a counter clockwise direction, the strongest forces are on the northern side of the rotation.       Mindfact?   :P

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #911: November 01, 2012, 06:47:24 PM »

I guess I'm a cold hearted son of a nag. I don't want to hear people crying when the big one wipes out LA... And far as I've seen, the major impact of Sandy on NJ versus here is simply we don't live on the freaking ocean. It's horrible people are suffering, but at the same time... when I read people mourning two idiots who put a generator in their home and died of carbon monoxide poisoning as "victims of Sandy"? Okay... There's a reason I love this area, and its exactly because unless an asteroid destroys the planet, we don't need to worry about natural disasters. I'm sure the Romans living in Pompeii loved the pretty mountain sightlines, too.

My inlaws live in Passiac county- nowhere near the ocean and they got nailed (multiple trees down, indefinite power outage)

Offline Boss Dealwiler

• Hit the lights.
« Reply #912: November 01, 2012, 07:15:50 PM »
I'm going to be smiling when the dirty bomb goes and kills all of us suckers living in this hellhole.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #913: November 01, 2012, 07:19:09 PM »
Hopefully they catch Abu Nazir before that happens.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #914: November 01, 2012, 10:10:24 PM »
Gee, Coladar, that rant is amazing.  Even if you think everyone who died was a dipcrap for staying put, homes were f'ng destroyed, tunnels flooded, power lost for several millions, fires started that were inaccessible to first responders etc...  I'll toss in that I don't know how easy it is to get that many senior citizens out of high apartments, especially when they may not have a car.  There is absolutely nothing that they could have been done about the property damage, which is already measured at about half a Katrina.  How you can even compare it to the derecho is just idiocy. 

Offline Boss Dealwiler

• Hit the lights.
« Reply #915: November 01, 2012, 10:16:26 PM »
How you can even compared it to the derecho is just idiocy. 

That's because he is an idiot.  I hope he gets swallowed by a sinkhole and chokes on his own feces.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #916: November 01, 2012, 10:18:25 PM »
Why is it that when the weather report is dire and people come out ok; they claim it was over hyped.   Even if other areas got hit hard!   :blah:

Why do TV stations insist on putting reporters in harms way and tell them to stay safe at the same time?   :smh:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #917: November 01, 2012, 10:35:07 PM »
I'll claim ignorance if found to be wrong but I think Jersey got it bad for 2 reasons.   It's closer to the Ocean than us (surge) and a large damaged part of the state sat on the north side of the hurricane.    As the hurricane rotates in a counter clockwise direction, the strongest forces are on the northern side of the rotation.       Mindfact?   :P

Not a mindfact, simply a fact.  Wind drives water in a big way.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #918: November 01, 2012, 10:38:46 PM »

Couldn't have gotten that dramatically worse winds than we did, 80mph is pretty damn significant. So is it just a case of morons living on an ocean and then crying foul when the ocean comes a calling? We got brutalized with the "derecho" storm. We got far more rain than other locales with Sandy.

Sure, people who build in floodplains or on the coast shouldn't be surprised when disaster happens.  Nor should they expect the govt to bail them out, except that it will.    :?

But a lot of folks (see Queens, for example) have been their for many decades and could not have foreseen global warming, rising sea levels and more volatile weather that is resulting from climate change.  This is a warning call to all, however - storms will be worse, will be more frequent, and the tolerance for public funding of private folly has limits.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #919: November 01, 2012, 10:40:59 PM »

But a lot of folks (see Queens, for example) have been their for many decades

:lmao:

Offline Boss Dealwiler

• Hit the lights.
« Reply #920: November 01, 2012, 10:42:30 PM »
Not a mindfact, simply a fact.  Wind drives water in a big way.

Especially when it gets pushed into tight spaces like down in the financial district where there's very little room for water to flow.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #921: November 01, 2012, 10:42:58 PM »
:lmao:

:glug:

Ok, you need to be on your game now.

Online imref

« Reply #922: November 01, 2012, 10:55:43 PM »
there is the potential of a massive storm striking somewhere along the mid-to-upper atlantic coast on Monday.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/monster-east-coast-storm-next-week-or-big-miss/2012/10/22/94bc2152-1c72-11e2-9cd5-b55c38388962_blog.html#pagebreak

Worst case scenario - very slow moving storm with heavy rains and tropical force winds.  Or, it could end up being nothing. :)

The weather forecasters did a pretty damn good job of predicting this storm, the first alarms were sounded six days ahead of time, and they pretty well nailed it's potential for destruction and it's landing spot on the U.S. east coast.   

Online imref

« Reply #923: November 01, 2012, 10:56:59 PM »
i lived through Gloria in LI in 1985, I spoke to a friend of mine who lives in my old neighborhood, he said Gloria was nothing compared to Sandy, and Gloria hit as a Cat-1 smack into LI (but at low tide).  Just complete devastation along the LI southern coast from about Smith's Point west to NYC.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #924: November 01, 2012, 11:36:20 PM »
Sure, people who build in floodplains or on the coast shouldn't be surprised when disaster happens.  Nor should they expect the govt to bail them out, except that it will.    :?

But a lot of folks (see Queens, for example) have been their for many decades and could not have foreseen global warming, rising sea levels and more volatile weather that is resulting from climate change.  This is a warning call to all, however - storms will be worse, will be more frequent, and the tolerance for public funding of private folly has limits.

Or maybe we'll invest in infrastructure- most major east coast cities are on the water,  if we're willing to protect far smaller communities along rivers and smaller cities like new Orleans, then I'd expect that you'll see more money poured into the North East if this starts becoming common.