Author Topic: Skiing  (Read 3667 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Skiing
« Topic Start: December 19, 2011, 03:47:16 PM »
We took our kids to Timberline this past weekend and they've caught the bug, though they are definitely still beginners.

We're looking at going to Massanutten in Feb. on the idea that we can both ski and use the water park.  Has anyone been there recently?  Any tips on getting a decent deal?

Thanks in advance!

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Skiing
« Reply #1: December 19, 2011, 03:51:26 PM »
If you can go midweek, you're probably going to pay a bit less (and have much smaller crowds).  I have a midweek season ticket to Snowshoe that I figure more than pays for itself after 3 days when you factor in the 20% discount on lodging and so forth.  Most of the places around here are dead during the week except when school is out between christmas and new years and for spring break.

We took our kids to Timberline this past weekend and they've caught the bug, though they are definitely still beginners.

We're looking at going to Massanutten in Feb. on the idea that we can both ski and use the water park.  Has anyone been there recently?  Any tips on getting a decent deal?

Thanks in advance!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2: December 19, 2011, 05:02:10 PM »
I cut way back on my skiing when I moved down here, and was never very good to begin with.  Intermediate, a bit slow, always under control, now probably a sloppy intermediate.   Does Monday count as midweek around here?

• babble on
« Reply #3: December 19, 2011, 05:06:05 PM »
Given the rampant workaholism in DC, Saturday should probably count as midweek, but as far as the ski resorts go, "midweek" is M-F except stat holidays.

I cut way back on my skiing when I moved down here, and was never very good to begin with.  Intermediate, a bit slow, always under control, now probably a sloppy intermediate.   Does Monday count as midweek around here?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #4: December 19, 2011, 06:01:46 PM »
Utah in March/April.

• babble on
« Reply #5: December 20, 2011, 04:42:29 PM »
Where?  I've been to Snowbird and Alta, never tried Park City.  What amazing snow.

Utah in March/April.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #6: December 20, 2011, 05:15:40 PM »
Where?  I've been to Snowbird and Alta, never tried Park City.  What amazing snow.

Did those plus Brighton (small) and Park City.   My buddy lived in Salt Lake City and a spring ski trip was always on tap.   Literally and figuratiely  (LOL)

• babble on
« Reply #7: December 22, 2011, 11:34:23 AM »
If the Euro collapses, I'm going to the Alps. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #8: December 22, 2011, 12:01:04 PM »

Thanks in advance!

Timberline's a good beginner place.  The beginner's trail Salamander is one of the longest trails around.  Salamander works for intermediates too with lots of little off-trail excursions available through trees or up the steep bank on the left.  Elevation of 4,286 at the top is pretty impressive too.  Spectacular views of Canaan Valley from Twister, when it's not snowing like crazy that is.

Two years ago it was -18F in the morning at breakfast time, -10F when we started skiing but warmed up to a toasty +18F by mid-afternoon.   :koolaid:

• babble on
« Reply #9: December 22, 2011, 12:07:13 PM »
I haven't been there in years, but that high valley around Davis WV generally gets a lot of natural snowfall. 
Timberline's a good beginner place.  The beginner's trail Salamander is one of the longest trails around.  Salamander works for intermediates too with lots of little off-trail excursions available through trees or up the steep bank on the left.  Elevation of 4,286 at the top is pretty impressive too.  Spectacular views of Canaan Valley from Twister, when it's not snowing like crazy that is.

Two years ago it was -18F in the morning at breakfast time, -10F when we started skiing but warmed up to a toasty +18F by mid-afternoon.   :koolaid:

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #10: December 22, 2011, 12:34:10 PM »
I miss Colorado so much ....

Online imref

« Reply #11: December 22, 2011, 12:36:04 PM »
I haven't been there in years, but that high valley around Davis WV generally gets a lot of natural snowfall. 

not so far this year, they had less than an inch of natural snow last weekend, and I'm guessing less with last night's rain.  They still only have 4 of 39 trails open.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #12: December 22, 2011, 12:49:32 PM »

Yeah, they claim 200" annually at Timberline.  Eastern slope of the mountains (where Timberline is) gets a lot more than the western slope. 

• babble on
« Reply #13: January 05, 2012, 03:49:38 PM »
crap year in the Rockies...Vail only has a little more than a quarter of its terrain open and a base of 18" or less.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #14: January 05, 2012, 03:50:45 PM »
crap year in the Rockies...Vail only has a little more than a quarter of their terrain open and a base of 18" or less.

Have you been checking snow data all day?  :shock:

• babble on
« Reply #15: January 05, 2012, 03:52:13 PM »
85%

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #16: January 05, 2012, 05:52:05 PM »
how is the front range?  maybe Estes Park?  A friend said she was out in Boulder over Christmas and they had significant snow fall.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #17: January 05, 2012, 06:14:57 PM »
snowshoe is up to like 50 something inches somehow. if they can survive a short upcoming thaw, they might be well set for MLK and after

• babble on
« Reply #18: January 05, 2012, 06:33:14 PM »
Thing is that snow in Boulder doesn't have a lot of staying power...it can snow a foot and then POOF! It's gone the next day.  That said, front range skiing can benefit from the continental divide (I don't really understand the meteorology, but it sometimes gets hit hard when even Summit and Eagle counties are dry).   I skied an afternoon at Loveland last year and it was pretty nice for what is essentially a local area less than an hour from downtown Denver and straddling the eastern side of the Eisenhower tunnel on I-70.  But I think this year thus far is pretty much a bust throughout the US rockies.     

how is the front range?  maybe Estes Park?  A friend said she was out in Boulder over Christmas and they had significant snow fall.

• babble on
« Reply #19: April 20, 2012, 09:44:01 PM »
Over 10 feet of base at mid mountain @Whistler on 20 April  :shock:

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #20: January 15, 2013, 08:58:07 AM »
Hey guys, the wife and I are looking to go skiing, ideally somewhere close to home, maybe in VA? Anyone have any places they recommend?

I've found Bryce Resort and Massanutten in my basic searches, what do you all think of those? We are looking for something that accomodates both me being a beginner and her being an expert, plus have other activities/couple stuff.

Thanks for your advice.

Online imref

« Reply #21: January 15, 2013, 09:06:21 AM »
Hey guys, the wife and I are looking to go skiing, ideally somewhere close to home, maybe in VA? Anyone have any places they recommend?

I've found Bryce Resort and Massanutten in my basic searches, what do you all think of those? We are looking for something that accomodates both me being a beginner and her being an expert, plus have other activities/couple stuff.

Thanks for your advice.

Snowshoe WV is the "gold standard" in the region.  Wisp is pretty nice as well.  The guys I know that are serious skiers like Whitetail too for a quick get-away.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #22: January 15, 2013, 09:43:54 AM »
Timberline (Canaan Valley) is not plush but has great snow and a great mountain.  Longest beginner slope in the region, a number of really nice intermediate and advanced slopes.  The top is > 4,000 ft, lodge around 3,000.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #23: January 15, 2013, 10:00:05 AM »
I'm going skiing at Whitetail this weekend with a few friends. I have only been one other time and that as three years ago. The whole day I was falling down up until the last hour were I got the hang of it. I look forward to this weekend. I'll probably fall for a good few hours before I get the hang of it again.

I need to start digging up some clothes for skiing, though. I guess I need gloves, windbreaker material clothes, sweats, hat, long sleeve shirt(s), double socks, tennis shoes, and can't think of anything else.

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #24: January 15, 2013, 10:01:53 AM »
The drive to Snowshoe from the Beltway looks like an absolute terror :-/