Author Topic: How to convert O's fans to Nats fans  (Read 1837 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
How to convert O's fans to Nats fans
« Topic Start: September 17, 2010, 01:15:33 AM »
Good morning all,

Today, I will begin my trek into enemy territory as I accompany my girlfriend and her parents on a trip to Baltimore to watch the Orioles take on the Yankees.

Her dad is a big Yankees fan and it is his birthday, so, being the good future son-in-law I am, I agreed to go.

I plan on wearing all out Nats gear to the game, but that's not enough. I need more fire power to convert as many worthless O's fans into Nats fans as possible.... suggestions?

Maybe some Strasburg jerseys? Promises that Ryan Zimmerman will lead them to the promise land (out of last place)?

What, if anything can I do to convert the misguided few from the dark side, to the light?

Offline NatsDad14

Re: How to convert O's fans to Nats fans
« Reply #1: September 17, 2010, 01:17:55 AM »
The fans that are actually there are the diehards so convincing them won't work. Plus the O's are on track to be a winning team a lot sooner than the Nats.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #2: September 17, 2010, 01:18:21 AM »
Throw them from the upper decks when they yell "O" during the National anthem.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #3: September 17, 2010, 02:17:00 AM »
Nothing wrong with being an O's fan.  I almost was one.  My grandma is one!

Though I have converted a lady at work from an O's fan to a nats fan.  Happened last year, and Manny Acta helped.  She took her grandson to OPACY for a beltway game, him an O's first, Nats second fan.  Manny signed a ball for him, talked to him a bit, and when some adults complained he was talking to the kid and "cmon, he's wearing orioles garb!" Manny told them to hush, he wasn't done talking to the kid.

That lit the spark, and eventually she became a nats fan.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #4: September 17, 2010, 02:43:52 AM »
Good morning all,

Today, I will begin my trek into enemy territory as I accompany my girlfriend and her parents on a trip to Baltimore to watch the Orioles take on the Yankees.

Her dad is a big Yankees fan and it is his birthday, so, being the good future son-in-law I am, I agreed to go.

I plan on wearing all out Nats gear to the game, but that's not enough. I need more fire power to convert as many worthless O's fans into Nats fans as possible.... suggestions?

Maybe some Strasburg jerseys? Promises that Ryan Zimmerman will lead them to the promise land (out of last place)?

What, if anything can I do to convert the misguided few from the dark side, to the light?

Don't waste your time.   There won't be that many O's fans there.   Most will be Yankee's fans.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #5: September 17, 2010, 02:53:39 AM »
Eh, I always think its weird wearing a different team's jersey and such to a game. It bugs me seeing Philly fans rocking their gear at a Nats - Braves game or a Boston fan at the same game. Its understandable though since Os and Nats are close so it makes sense. Dunno if you can convert any though. GMU makes a good point.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #6: September 17, 2010, 06:27:47 AM »
Eh, I always think its weird wearing a different team's jersey and such to a game.

I don't know. It bugs me seeing Philly fans as well, but that's because I hate them. If I were to go to a Yanks/Red Sox game in Boston, doesn't it make more since for me to rep my city than buy some gear and pick a side?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #7: September 17, 2010, 08:05:02 AM »
Eh, I always think its weird wearing a different team's jersey and such to a game.

I used to wear my Senators t-shirt to Orioles games in the 1980's.  The statement was, I'm here rooting for the Orioles tonight, but don't anyone be confused about who my #1 is.

« Reply #8: September 17, 2010, 08:34:24 AM »
Just tell them the truth: as hard as it might be to believe, watching a last place NL team is a whole lot more interesting than sitting in the Yards admiring some boring warehouse.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #9: September 17, 2010, 08:35:21 AM »
Just tell them the truth: as hard as it might be to believe, watching a last place NL team is a whole lot more interesting than sitting in the Yards admiring some boring warehouse.

Yeah, but they get a last place team too.

« Reply #10: September 17, 2010, 08:47:08 AM »
Yeah, but they get a last place team too.

They don't even really pay attention to the team up there so they might really not know that. ;)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #11: September 17, 2010, 08:53:27 AM »

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #12: September 17, 2010, 09:37:18 AM »
Just get a new girl. There are plenty of hot chicks that are also Nationals fans.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #13: September 17, 2010, 09:40:39 AM »

Kidnap Showalter and bring him here.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #14: September 17, 2010, 11:22:56 PM »
Well I went to Os games during the dark years between 71 and 2004.  I saw Robinson, Cal & Eddie.  They still are my favorite AL team. CAMDEN YARDS used to have a beautiful view before they put a Hilton down PRATT St.

To me the Yanks and the Phillies are members of the evil empire.   :twisted:

I've come to like NL baseball a lot better though.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #15: September 18, 2010, 12:06:00 AM »
Ha.  That Hilton must be where Linty is staying.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #16: September 18, 2010, 12:09:21 AM »
I used to work at a Hilton.  Had some nice perks.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #17: September 18, 2010, 11:06:54 AM »
Tell the O's fans they'd be familiar with our team - quitting with a month or two left in the season is right down their alley.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #18: September 18, 2010, 11:08:34 AM »

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #19: September 18, 2010, 12:15:47 PM »
Good morning all,

Be careful, be very careful, the way these teams are playing since Showalter took over in Baltimore there is a better chance that you will end up in orange and black than you converting them to our side.  These are dark times for the Republic.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #20: September 18, 2010, 04:26:05 PM »
Did ya get any converts?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #21: September 18, 2010, 04:41:59 PM »
Did ya get any converts?

Find out tonight. Staying at the Hampton Inn across from the park. Actually got to see Mo close out the game from our window last night. That was neat.

All around town today I've been wearing a Nationals t-shirt and ballcap. People have come up to me and said they were sorry about Strasburg.

Tonight I'll definitely try to bring some O's fans to the light side!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #22: September 20, 2010, 11:08:20 AM »
Good morning all,

Linty - did you bury the lead or has the girlfriend been the fiance for a while?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #23: October 04, 2010, 04:46:41 PM »
If you wear baggy jorts with a cellphone holster, a wifebeater, and a flat-brimmed OC Choppers hat you could pass as an Orioles fan.  A few random Japanese characters or a snoopy tattoo and you are good to go.   

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #24: October 04, 2010, 06:16:43 PM »
Linty - did you bury the lead or has the girlfriend been the fiance for a while?

Not fiance yet... will be within a year or two.