16 (44.4%)
Charles Krauthammer
2 (5.6%)
Dan Steinberg
8 (22.2%)
Other
5 (13.9%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Reporter With Most Natitude?  (Read 1896 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Reporter With Most Natitude?
« Topic Start: October 04, 2012, 05:44:29 PM »
Yes, journalism is supposed to be a very neutral game, but let's be honest.... There are some people in the media who love the Nats. Who is your favorite writer to read? There are some reporters throwing out some awesome opinion pieces about the Nationals. They bring our favorite little catchphrase "NATITUDE" to life

I didn't include Kilgore, Zuckerman, Comack, etc since they usually provide straight up analysis. They all do a great job.

I included some great pieces by the choices above. Feel free to add in any names. Steinberg and Boswell are my early favorites, but Charles Krauthammer has dropped "That's a Clown Question Bro" on national TV and Wolf Blitzer is Wolf Blitzer.

Wolf Blitzer = "Ignite Your NATITUDE" http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=21144927&topic_id=7617268&c_id=was
    -Limited options, but the guy is a big time fan and brings the hashtag of "Natitude" to a very large Twitter audience.

Thomas Boswell = "2012: The year baseball went National in Washington" http://www.washingtonpost.com/2012-the-year-baseball-went-national-in-washington/2012/10/03/75f956d2-0d80-11e2-a310-2363842b7057_story.html
     -When Boswell brings the sunshine, he brings it with force.

Charles Krauthammer = "The Joy of Winning" http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-joy-of-winning/2012/05/24/gJQAnUjAoU_story.html
     -A Nationals Park regular. Wrote an equal article about losing a couple years back. Wish he'd write more about Nationals.

Dan Steinberg = http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2012/10/04/columnist-urges-baseball-fans-to-root-against-the-nats/
    -Not sure if Steinberg loves the Nats or just the endless material he is provided.

Yes, this is a random topic. We have to pass the off days somehow.

Offline houston-nat

Re: Reporter With Most Natitude?
« Reply #1: October 04, 2012, 05:49:10 PM »
Steinberg, easy.

EDIT: But actually Mark Zuckerman for the season where he reported on the Nats as a blogger in order to stay with the team.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #2: October 04, 2012, 05:52:37 PM »
Boswell has been pining for a team to come back to DC as long as I have

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #3: October 04, 2012, 06:07:47 PM »
Kristina

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #4: October 04, 2012, 06:19:42 PM »
The bogger is DQ'd for the Nats Fail series back when times were tough.  Boz is DQ'd based on his love for the Os.  George Will should be in the running, but Krauthammer is the clear choice.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #6: October 04, 2012, 06:30:17 PM »
Bob Lodson

Take THAT! @cheist

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

Offline SkinsNDeacs

« Reply #8: October 04, 2012, 06:46:49 PM »
Has to be Bos

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #9: October 04, 2012, 07:34:52 PM »
Other: Barry "Panera" Svrluga

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #10: October 04, 2012, 07:50:01 PM »
The bogger is DQ'd for the Nats Fail series back when times were tough.  Boz is DQ'd based on his love for the Os.  George Will should be in the running, but Krauthammer is the clear choice.

I figured you'd be in the tank for Chico Harlan.

:crackup:

Anyway, here's Chico, along with Boz, Kilgore, Svrluga and Wagner with a video retro of the team from inception through today.

http://www.yurasko.net/wfy/2012/10/great-post-beat-writers-video-on-nats-since-2005.html

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #11: October 04, 2012, 07:57:07 PM »
I figured you'd be in the tank for Chico Harlan.

I've defended the guy from some of the unwarranted attacks but he certainly didn't have Natitude.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #12: October 04, 2012, 07:59:12 PM »
Boswell is my age. He grew up with the same crushing losses of both 1960 and 1971. He seems to have learned sports journalism from Bob Addie and Shirley Povich, the two sports reporters at the Post (I'm skipping the guy who covered horse racing). I started reading by memorizing the back of 1953 baseball cards ("Zack Wheat, Philadelphia A's, won one and lost one!" and I'd giggle), but learned by reading Povich and Addie. Not Alice and Jerry, although they starred in the reading book at Bunker Hill Elementary, my school.

Boswell gets my vote...but I read some of Steinberg's columns and, wow, what a bunch of woofers!

Everybody in DC talks politics? Everybody I knew read Bill Gold's "The District Line" column, which talked about which GS-<whatever> jobs would open and when. I guess the NY guy really means all the people at his country club.

Wilbon hates DC? OK, I'm going to print off Wilbon's hero-worshio column about Povich just so I can tear it up. For those who haven't read that column, Povich took cub reporter Wilbon to a heavyweight title fight, and casually mentioned something about one of the Jack Dempsey / Gene Tunney fights.

The Filly guy? To be honest, Filly Field looks a lot like Nats Park. I remember when the Fillies were the almost always wporst in the NL...botgh befpre the Mets and after the Mets got good. Subtract one spike around 1980,  and the Fillies are about the worst of the original 16. The "Whiz Kids" made the WS about 1950, got swept, and sank. Name a Fillies star from the 20s or 30s or 40s? Other than Robin Roberts and Richie Ashburn, and later Steve Carlton, who played for the Fillies before 2007? I followed the Mets in the late '80s, and I can't remember a thing about them. Now the Fillies are cracking...what next?

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #13: October 04, 2012, 08:02:32 PM »
What about Phil Wood?

Dude patiently explains what is going on to all those cranks who call Nats Talk Live, sits in a glorified tent each game, plans the throwback game (which was the crap), takes the ball for every rain delay for Charlie and Dave, and as far as I can tell was the only one to get teared up about it and get the history right.

Phil has Natitude in spades. :w: Dude should be more than a write in.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #14: October 04, 2012, 08:25:12 PM »
George Will

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #15: October 04, 2012, 08:29:38 PM »
What about Phil Wood?

Dude patiently explains what is going on to all those cranks who call Nats Talk Live, sits in a glorified tent each game, plans the throwback game (which was the crap), takes the ball for every rain delay for Charlie and Dave, and as far as I can tell was the only one to get teared up about it and get the history right.

Phil has Natitude in spades. :w: Dude should be more than a write in.

You're going to get slammed for nominating Wood.  But despite his many shortcomings, I can't disagree with anything you've said.  He's been an advocate for DC baseball through all the dark years, he cares deeply, and really he's one of us.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #16: October 04, 2012, 08:31:25 PM »
You're going to get slammed for nominating Wood.

Bring it. Wood earned his :w:

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #17: October 04, 2012, 08:31:45 PM »
Woods is great when he's talking about DC baseball history but he's a total jerk-off on his blog and taking post-game phone calls.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #18: October 04, 2012, 11:29:36 PM »
I was trying to rack my brain thinking of some baseball reporter with serious Natitude other than the aforementioned choices, and seeing ESPN's baseball writers playoff predictions made me remember it:

Tim f'n Kurkjian (he picked the Nats in 7)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #19: October 04, 2012, 11:58:00 PM »
After today seeing Dan Steinberg go to bat for DC sports fans against Mike Wilbon, you go Dan Steinberg!

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #20: October 05, 2012, 12:16:18 AM »
Steinberg, easy.

EDIT: But actually Mark Zuckerman for the season where he reported on the Nats as a blogger in order to stay with the team.

I'm basically on this page.

Offline eddiejc1

• http://www.femfour.com
« Reply #21: October 05, 2012, 05:34:09 AM »
I was going to vote for Boswell, but I have to go with Wood.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #22: October 05, 2012, 07:33:51 AM »
Boz is an ultra cheerleading sunshiny guy and those aren't my favorites, but gotta admit he shamed Lerners into getting Rizzo his Gio trade. That's natitude plus!

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #23: October 05, 2012, 08:13:31 AM »
George Will

Cubs supporter turned Orioles supporter - no go.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #24: October 05, 2012, 08:21:36 AM »
Boswell is my age. He grew up with the same crushing losses of both 1960 and 1971. He seems to have learned sports journalism from Bob Addie and Shirley Povich, the two sports reporters at the Post (I'm skipping the guy who covered horse racing). I started reading by memorizing the back of 1953 baseball cards ("Zack Wheat, Philadelphia A's, won one and lost one!" and I'd giggle), but learned by reading Povich and Addie. Not Alice and Jerry, although they starred in the reading book at Bunker Hill Elementary, my school.

Boswell gets my vote[...]

Boswell has been the Post's company man par excellence on baseball matters. During the 1980's he was totally onside with Edwin Bennett Williams' (why is he still in the Washington Hall of Stars?) vision of the Orioles as a 'regional' baseball team, as the Post editorial echelons were, and almost literally kissed the ground Cal Ripken Jr walked on in column after column. Only when it looked like the Expos were going to relocate here and the Post started turning on to the possibility of baseball in Washington did he change his tune.

Boswell is Orioles-loving, anti-Nats garbage...if I owned the Nats he would be permanently barred from entering Nats Park.