Author Topic: Microsoft thread  (Read 63091 times)

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Re: Microsoft thread
« Reply #850: February 25, 2014, 08:16:40 PM »
What do you want to do with it?

I just want a good running multipurpose machine that will allow me to play some good games and crap like that.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #851: February 25, 2014, 08:26:21 PM »
500watt PSU. Will sell for $400 with standard dvd drive as opposed to Bluray.

I wouldn't worry about having a bluray tbh.  Nvidia recommends a 600W PSU for a 770, 500W for a 760, so there's that to consider.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #852: February 25, 2014, 08:37:06 PM »
I wouldn't worry about having a bluray tbh.  Nvidia recommends a 600W PSU for a 770, 500W for a 760, so there's that to consider.

Hmmm... I reckon I'll just pass on it. It would be nice to have but I could probably spend my money better elsewhere.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #853: February 25, 2014, 08:44:55 PM »
It's still not that bad a deal, mobo + proc new would cost around $300, $50 for a case, $50 for RAM, $50 for a HDD, $100 for an OEM windows license.  That's $550, and you still haven't accounted for the PSU, monitor, mouse/keyboard, or GPU, and some of those prices are probably low.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #854: February 25, 2014, 08:55:34 PM »
It's still not that bad a deal, mobo + proc new would cost around $300, $50 for a case, $50 for RAM, $50 for a HDD, $100 for an OEM windows license.  That's $550, and you still haven't accounted for the PSU, monitor, mouse/keyboard, or GPU, and some of those prices are probably low.

Yeah, I agree but at this point, I should probably not be spending money on something like that when I have to get moved into an apartment in the next month or so.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #855: March 10, 2014, 07:24:51 PM »
So this very laptop I'm using runs XP. With an EoL announced for 8 April 2014, I think it would leave me pretty exposed to keep running XP. It doesn't even sound like Microsoft is committed to keeping Security Essentials going for long.

Someone clever is going to do something malicious.

We have several computers/laptops, but I like having this one for browsing, etc. I'm about to install LinuxMint/Maya dual boot.

Any other options I should consider?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #856: March 10, 2014, 08:17:43 PM »
If it's old/low specs, you might want to give xfce consideration, it's a lightweight desktop environment.  Mint has a version with Xfce already installed and set as the default desktop environment.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #857: March 10, 2014, 08:26:24 PM »
If it's old/low specs, you might want to give xfce consideration, it's a lightweight desktop environment.  Mint has a version with Xfce already installed and set as the default desktop environment.

It is and older machine. I'm going to try to boot from DVD, see how MATE performs. MATE runs okay on my netbook.

We'll see.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #858: March 10, 2014, 08:33:26 PM »
You can always install any desktop environment using the software manager app or whatever Mint calls it if it is a bit slow for your tastes.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #859: March 10, 2014, 09:13:21 PM »
Eh, I just got a toshiba laptop for about $350 at best buy.  It is faster than my old desk top from ~2005.  I'm gradually transferring bookmarks, etc...

biggest annoyance will be my cd collection that I need to transfer.  other than that, I really just have a few documents I can stick on a thumb drive.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #860: March 10, 2014, 10:03:50 PM »
You can always install any desktop environment using the software manager app or whatever Mint calls it if it is a bit slow for your tastes.

And... we're up and running.

MATE is the non-3D LinuxMint distribution, so we may be talking about the same thing. Anyway, it runs just fine. And I blew away Windows. Needed the space.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #861: March 10, 2014, 11:28:33 PM »
MATE is a fork of gnome 2 people made when they weren't happy with the direction gnome 3 went in.

Offline PC

« Reply #862: March 11, 2014, 12:05:24 AM »
So this very laptop I'm using runs XP. With an EoL announced for 8 April 2014, I think it would leave me pretty exposed to keep running XP. It doesn't even sound like Microsoft is committed to keeping Security Essentials going for long.

AV definition updates will continue for Security Essentials on XP through 2015.

Also, if you want/have to continue to use XP after next month, DO NOT USE IT AS AN ADMINISTRATOR!  Run your account as a limited user.  That will mitigate almost all of the possible problems that will happen when support stops.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #863: March 11, 2014, 08:31:25 AM »
Investor guys - so how much money do the hardware manufacturers (and software, too, i guess) expect to make out of the upgrades people will be doing after XP?  Is this supposed to be a good quarter?  do they project people dropping windows and going to google or apple-base systems?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #864: March 11, 2014, 09:16:33 AM »
The XP user base (30% of the Windows market) will just be too rich a market for malicious hackers. Security Essentials will continue to be updated to recognize new viruses, but MS will no longer fix OS vulnerabilities.

This seems to me to be an unprecedented opportunity for data thieves. I'd plan for the worse.

BTW, LinuxMint is very pleasant to use. You can install it dual-boot so you can still get access to Windows if you need it, without an internet connection if you want to stay safe.

From a ZDNET article:

"I'm not a believer that you're not going to see anything else," said James Lyne, global head of security research at Sophos. "There's been a healthy supply of [vulnerabilities] for many years now. It would be a turn-up for the books if all of a sudden that ceased to be a problem and the operating system magically became secure," added Lyne.
In fact, criminals may have been stashing away exploits to use once Microsoft has departed the scene, leaving the OS open to unpublished lines of attack, according to Gartner Research vice-president and research director Michael Silver.
"There's certainly a possibility of some vulnerabilities that were already known that haven't been exploited yet. From 8 April or 9 April you could see a number of attacks that people have been holding back," he said.

AV definition updates will continue for Security Essentials on XP through 2015.

Also, if you want/have to continue to use XP after next month, DO NOT USE IT AS AN ADMINISTRATOR!  Run your account as a limited user.  That will mitigate almost all of the possible problems that will happen when support stops.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #865: March 11, 2014, 09:39:28 AM »
People really shouldn't be using XP anymore.  Period.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #866: March 11, 2014, 09:46:02 AM »
Most ATMs use xp, so that's going to be a huge impact when support finally ends
http://mobile.businessweek.com/articles/2014-01-16/atms-face-deadline-to-upgrade-from-windows-xp

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #867: March 11, 2014, 10:10:41 AM »
This might be fear mongering, but I'm willing to stoop to it.

http://www.zdnet.com/windows-xp-what-to-expect-once-microsoft-shuts-down-support-7000025348/

Offline PC

« Reply #868: March 11, 2014, 10:54:42 AM »

That was true five years ago.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #869: March 17, 2014, 07:34:36 PM »
OK  so let me remind you of how dumb I am about computers.  So I've got the new laptop, and finally have activated the wireless modem at home and am on the laptop via wireless right now.  The connection has a name and a password.  Do I need to do anything else to make sure the russians, slate, or random hacker does not start using this connection?  Am I safe?

What I really want to try is to keep the old computer desktop on a wire, use this one wireless, and upgrade the desktop to windows 7.  my work web app does not work on windows 8.1 like I have on my laptop.  If I can do that, great, otherwise, I think I'll just keep this thing on a wire.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #870: March 17, 2014, 09:56:13 PM »
Wireless modem (like Verizon) or wireless router?  No wireless security is 100% unbreakable, but I wouldn't really worry about it.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #871: March 17, 2014, 10:17:02 PM »
The biggest thing with WiFi is making sure you're using WPA2 instead of WEP.  WEP is not remotely secure.  WPA2 with a decent pass phrase (11+ characters with upper, lower and symbol/number) is going to do well for most applications.  I'm sure if someone -really- wanted in, they could get in, but there are so many people using WEP that you'll likely be passed over.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #872: March 18, 2014, 08:23:50 AM »
It's a Verizon wireless modem.  Whatever is kind of standard for them.  It does use WEP encryption.  I've not been inclined to upgrade the internet package I have unless I need to, but probably the next step is to maybe review it when I switch to a smart phone (I'll need to add data, hook up multiple devices to the home wireless, etc...).   If I upgrade, then maybe I'll swap out the modem. 
Thanks for the advice.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #873: March 18, 2014, 08:48:57 AM »
It's a Verizon wireless modem.  Whatever is kind of standard for them.  It does use WEP encryption.  I've not been inclined to upgrade the internet package I have unless I need to, but probably the next step is to maybe review it when I switch to a smart phone (I'll need to add data, hook up multiple devices to the home wireless, etc...).   If I upgrade, then maybe I'll swap out the modem. 
Thanks for the advice.

you can attach a more secure wireless router to the modem - maybe $50 for a cheap one that can use WPA2- and use the router to create your wireless network

Offline dracnal

« Reply #874: March 18, 2014, 11:04:30 AM »
Honestly, the Verizon one should be able to use it as well.  I don't think there's been a WEP only device in over 15 years.  That said, pretty much all of them default to WEP out of the box.  Should be a drop down box somewhere you can flip.  Once it's set, you may need to delete and recreate the wifi connection on your PC.  Phones and tablets should take the change in encryption in stride without a complaint.