Author Topic: If you predicted the Marlins locker room would implode pat yourself on the back  (Read 1422 times)

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Not that this was particularly tough to see coming but check it.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8420672/miami-marlins-heath-bell-says-hard-respect-manager-ozzie-guillen

Quote from: ESPN
Miami Marlins reliever Heath Bell was critical of Ozzie Guillen during a radio interview Monday, hinting that he does not respect the Marlins' opinionated manager.

Bell, who was removed from the closer role after struggling earlier this season, made the comments on "The Dan Sileo Show" on 560 WQAM in Miami.

"It's hard to respect a guy that doesn't tell you the truth or doesn't tell you face-to-face," Bell said. "There's probably reasons why."

Bell, 34, has a 5.19 ERA and has converted just 19 of 26 save opportunities this season, his first since signing a three-year, $27 million contract with the Marlins.

Bell has posted a 3.12 ERA since the demotion from the closer role but said that Guillen has not given him the opportunity to reclaim the job.

"I stunk in April, plain and simple," Bell said. "I said I stunk, I worked hard, I busted my butt. I think I've had a tremendous second half. I'm not closing -- I know that. But I just kept my mouth shut because I want to regain what I had, and I feel like I can't do that."

Bell initially declined to comment directly about Guillen during Monday's interview, saying only, "it's been an interesting year with Ozzie."

But although he did not state Guillen's name, Bell eventually offered harsh criticism, presumably directed at the mercurial manager.

"It's just one of those things that -- what you see is what you get," Bell said. "I'm not going to be two-faced. I'm not going to sneak around your back and say this and that."

Bell's comments came one day after Guillen told Fox Sports Florida that he defends his decision to replace Bell with Steve Cishek. But Guillen also told the website that Bell would be given the opportunity to close again in 2013.

Guillen also made headlines on Friday when he made public comments that reportedly angered Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria.

"If Jeffrey doesn't think I'm doing the job I should do ... it's not the first time he's fired a manager," Guillen told reporters Friday in New York. "Look yourself in the mirror and ask why so many (expletive) managers come through here."

The last-place Marlins own a 66-87 record in Guillen's first season with the franchise. Bell would not say whether he wanted Guillen to return for 2013.

"We need a guy that leads us that everybody respects and looks up to," Bell said. "That's what we need."

Offline DPMOmaha

Not overly shocking but I thought it might stabilize some when they moved Ramirez.  Guess not.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Not predicted but also not surprised!

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
I thought they would implode. However, the Marlins have always done the opposite of what I thought (years I thought they would suck they have competed, years I thought they would compete they have sucked) so I figured I was going to be wrong and they were going to make the playoffs.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
I guessed that the Marlins needed to trade both Hanley and Ozzie. How not to build a team...Although I thought the Nats should go after Reyes. WRONG. Buerhle. WRONG.

Online RobDibblesGhost

I thought there might be some issues, but this is just getting crazy.   And I love it! :lmao:

Here are two more articles from the past 24 hours for your reading pleasure:

:popcorn:

Apparently owner Jeffrey Loria is angry at manager Ozzie Guillen for comments Guillen made that were critical of Loria, according to a person who has spoken with Marlins officials.

Exactly what Guillen said that ticked Loria off is not clear.

But Loria didn’t like being, in the source’s words, “called out” by Guillen.

On Friday in New York, Guillen told reporters: “If Jeffrey doesn’t think I’m doing the job I should do … it’s not the first time he’s fired a manager,” Guillen said. “Look yourself in the mirror and ask why so many (bleeping) managers come through here.”

Last weekend, Guillen told reporters in Miami: “When you are in last place you need a better manager, better general manager, better owner, a better everything when you are a last-place team because we all failed.”

Guillen also said that day: “Whoever works for the Marlins and denies that he should be fired is full of (expletive). My coaches, myself, the front office, my players, we’re all involved in this thing. We all failed. And we’ve got to be better. Hopefully we learn by the mistakes we made and we move on.

“I can see good things happen soon. How soon is it going to be. The players will dictate how soon it’s going to be. Everybody in this ball club should look at themselves in the mirror.”

The general feeling around the Marlins the past few days is that baseball operations president Larry Beinfest’s job is safe and that Guillen is on the hot seat, which has been reported by the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, the Miami Herald and mlb.com.

On Thursday, USA Today reported that Beinfest would be fired and that Guillen appeared to be safe.

Now, it appears as though Beinfest is safe and that Guillen might not return next year, the source confirmed. The source put the likelihood of Guillen not being back at “75-25,” based on his conversations with Marlins officials.

Again, it’s not clear which of Guillen’s remarks angered Loria. Guillen was on shaky ground before the team got to New York on Thursday’s off-day.

But if Guillen’s comment on Friday — that Loria should look at himself in the mirror about all the managers coming through Miami — was the culprit, it might end up being enough to prompt Loria to fire him after the season.

If that’s the case, it reminds me of Loria’s clashes in 2006 with manager Joe Girardi, who was fired and re-hired the same day after exchanging words with Loria during a game in August.

Girardi was fired after the season, then won the NL Manager of the year Award.

The Marlins have had six different managers since Loria took control of the team in 2002.

NEW YORK -- Jeffrey Loria is outraged with Fredi Gonzalez’s published comments in which the former Marlins manager said that no manager ever seems to please the owner.

Gonzalez, who manages the Atlanta Braves, was quoted in Sunday’s Miami Herald as saying: “There’s not a manager dead or alive that Jeffrey thinks is good enough. Not Connie Mack, not anyone.”

Loria said that if Gonzalez made those comments, “I’m a little surprised because it’s classless — and you can quote me — especially because he was with us for five years and he was a colossal failure. Not nice. Not nice.”

In a text message Sunday night, Gonzalez indicated he stood by his comments.

Loria expressed his feelings to reporters as they waited outside the clubhouse following the team’s 3-2 loss to the Mets on Sunday. Gonzalez managed the Marlins from 2007-10, going 276-279.

The last two winning Marlins teams, in 2008 and ’09, were managed by Gonzalez. But Gonzalez was fired in June 2010, after the team got off to a 34-36 start.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/09/24/3017347/miami-marlins-jeffrey-loria-comments.html#storylink=cpy

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
FWIW, I saw Bell pitch in August against the Dodgers, he lasted 1/3rd of an inning giving up 4 hits on 4 runs and looked absolutely horrible.  Since August 1st he's got a 4.19 ERA and opponents are batting .299 off him.

Bell should really focus on why he's pitching so bad before he goes after anyone else.

Online imref

I thought there might be some issues, but this is just getting crazy.   And I love it! :lmao:

Here are two more articles from the past 24 hours for your reading pleasure:

:popcorn:

to be a fly on the wall while Gonzales, Girardi and Guillen share a beer.

Online imref

I guessed that the Marlins needed to trade both Hanley and Ozzie. How not to build a team...Although I thought the Nats should go after Reyes. WRONG. Buerhle. WRONG.

they really ought to trade Buerhle next year for some prospects.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
they really ought to trade Buerhle next year for some prospects.

As a fan of the Nationals... I hope they don't do this.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
FWIW, I saw Bell pitch in August against the Dodgers, he lasted 1/3rd of an inning giving up 4 hits on 4 runs and looked absolutely horrible.  Since August 1st he's got a 4.19 ERA and opponents are batting .299 off him.

Bell should really focus on why he's pitching so bad before he goes after anyone else.

So bad he even gives up hits on runs :shock:

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
I wonder what the Vegas odds are of Guillen managing that team next year.  I'm gonna say about the odds the Mayans were right and we all die before we get to see it happen anyway.

Online RobDibblesGhost

I wonder what the Vegas odds are of Guillen managing that team next year.  I'm gonna say about the odds the Mayans were right and we all die before we get to see it happen anyway.

There's no way he's back next year.  If there was even a remote chance before this week, it's gone now.

Offline HalfSmokes

I'd say 50/50 he's back- never underestimate Loria's cheapness

Online imref

So bad he even gives up hits on runs :shock:

LoL.  It's been a long day.

Offline CALSGR8

If he's out,then who's in?  Bo Porter left the Marlin's for here (I believe).  Riggles? Bobby V?  Hes having almost as much Drama as. The Marlins

Online welch

If he's out,then who's in?  Bo Porter left the Marlin's for here (I believe).  Riggles? Bobby V?  Hes having almost as much Drama as. The Marlins

I wouldn't wish a Loria-job on Bo Porter. Good guy.

Bobby V would fit.

Riggleman is not a high-profile, big name guy, so not appealing to Loria, the little Danny Snyder of MLB.

Also: just thinking about Girardi and Martinez: both good managers, classy guys. Loria???? What a record!

Offline CALSGR8

Guardian would Never go back to the Marlin's from the Yankees!

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
There's no way he's back next year.  If there was even a remote chance before this week, it's gone now.

Solamente si su amigo Hugo Chavez compra el equipo.

Online welch

Guardian would Never go back to the Marlin's from the Yankees!

I'd forgotten that Girardi was ever in Miami. He is such a good fit with the Yankees...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
to be a fly on the wall while Gonzales, Girardi and Guillen share a beer.

the Killer G's.  Loria should just avoid hiring a manager with a last name that begins with G if he wants to get along with them for more than a year.

Online imref

the Killer G's.  Loria should just avoid hiring a manager with a last name that begins with G if he wants to get along with them for more than a year.

nah, have him hire grady little.