Author Topic: the catching carousel (merged)  (Read 6782 times)

Offline bud

I must have missed that transaction.  Play Salono then.  Flores brings nothing to the table.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Neither does Solano.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
LOL

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Sure, Leon isn't the missing piece, but it would sure be nice to get Jesus Flores out of the everyday lineup.  I am sick of Flores and his .230 average with the inevitable double plays to end a rallies.

Solanno was the AAA catcher; Leon the AA catcher. The Nats promoted Leon only because Solanno was hurt early in the year.

Offline RL04

I am sick of Flores and his .230 average with the inevitable double plays to end a rallies.

I agree - .230 is pretty low.

Here is a random list of a few World Series catchers and their career BA's:

Gene Tenace   .241
Jerry Grote   .252
Rick Dempsey  .233

I'd say, for a very good fielding catcher, a .240 average is minimum.  And .250 is nice.

Offline bud

Re: the catching carousel (merged)
« Reply #105: July 17, 2012, 09:59:03 PM »
Flores delivers another 0-4 gem.  I had zero doubt we were going to extra innings when he came up in the 9th.  On a related note, did anyone see the story the Nationals put on their website about him today?  They got real upset because they linked a puff piece on Facebook about Flores but the fans turned around and started to trash his offense combined with his inability to throw out base runners. Meanwhile, we should be pursuing someone better than Ramon Hernandez.  His .206 average won't help us either. We have the ability to run away with the NL East. Sorry if I upset anybody. I am not used to pennant fever this late in the season :D

Offline bud

« Reply #106: July 17, 2012, 10:12:34 PM »
I'd say, for a very good fielding catcher, a .240 average is minimum.  And .250 is nice.[/color]

Or, at the very least someone who can throw out an occassional base stealer.

Online Slateman

« Reply #107: July 17, 2012, 10:29:25 PM »
The Onion needs some playing time

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #108: July 17, 2012, 10:33:27 PM »
Unleash the Onion's fury.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #109: July 17, 2012, 10:39:04 PM »
The Onion needs some playing time

Who's the Onion? :confused:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #110: July 17, 2012, 10:41:38 PM »
Solano. He came to his tryout on the back of an onion truck.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #111: July 17, 2012, 10:47:15 PM »
Solano. He came to his tryout on the back of an onion truck.
Ahhh, I had a picture of Shrek for some reason :)

Online Slateman

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #113: July 18, 2012, 10:30:26 AM »
Of all MLB catchers with at least 200 PA's, Flores is third from last with a .257 wOBA.

Offline loshjott

« Reply #114: July 18, 2012, 11:30:48 AM »
Who's the Onion? :confused:

The guy who started the winning rally last night with a sharp lead off base hit to right center.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #115: July 18, 2012, 12:25:31 PM »
need catcher
need catcher
need catcher

Online Slateman

« Reply #116: July 18, 2012, 12:54:37 PM »
I'd like to see Solano get more playing time. I don't think he'll do much better, but I think Flores could use a break.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #117: July 18, 2012, 12:57:32 PM »
we can only afford one of these catchers on the roster.  we need a guy who can play everyday.  solano/flores would be fine as a backup. 

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #118: July 18, 2012, 01:49:21 PM »
Of all MLB catchers with at least 200 PA's, Flores is third from last with a .257 wOBA.

I think Flores has shown that he's a back up catcher - a good one, but still a back up.  He seems worn down.

I'm not sure who else is out there that would be an upgrade and would be worth giving up significant pieces.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #119: July 18, 2012, 02:11:50 PM »
I think Flores has shown that he's a back up catcher - a good one, but still a back up.  He seems worn down.

I'm not sure who else is out there that would be an upgrade and would be worth giving up significant pieces.

And who would be a one-year rental, because Ramos is the actual catcher.  There's nobody who fits that billet - useful, but cheap and short-term.

I think there are really two options - 1. Davey needs to mix a little more onion into the soup in the guise of "resting Flores" and start to approach a 50/50 split 2. They need to go get an old backup who won't produce any more than Flores does, but who can carry the workload if need be.

If they decide to go option 2, I would love to see them go get Schneider from the Phillies - he's on a one-year deal, he'll cost nothing, he's a great clubhouse guy, plus the good 2005 mojo.  Yes, I know, he can't hit.  And really can't much catch these days either, but still.  Do it.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #120: July 18, 2012, 02:12:59 PM »

solano?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #121: July 18, 2012, 02:20:59 PM »
And who would be a one-year rental, because Ramos is the actual catcher.  There's nobody who fits that billet - useful, but cheap and short-term.

I think there are really two options - 1. Davey needs to mix a little more onion into the soup in the guise of "resting Flores" and start to approach a 50/50 split 2. They need to go get an old backup who won't produce any more than Flores does, but who can carry the workload if need be.

If they decide to go option 2, I would love to see them go get Schneider from the Phillies - he's on a one-year deal, he'll cost nothing, he's a great clubhouse guy, plus the good 2005 mojo.  Yes, I know, he can't hit.  And really can't much catch these days either, but still.  Do it.

John Jaso perhaps?

Offline blue911

« Reply #122: July 18, 2012, 02:35:44 PM »
I wonder what the Padres would take for Nick Hundley

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #123: July 18, 2012, 02:37:42 PM »
I wonder what the Padres would take for Nick Hundley

Do we really want him? He's locked up long term... and then we'd have two catchers that both want to be starters.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #124: July 18, 2012, 02:44:05 PM »
Do we really want him? He's locked up long term... and then we'd have two catchers that both want to be starters.

We had that before Ramos got hurt.

I admit that Flores isn't producing with the bat or throwing out runners but he is better defensively than what Ramos did prior to the injury. Solano seems to be hitting and I don't understand why everyone isn't jumping on DJ to give him more starts.We ( WNFF)  do it for everyone else on the roster or doing well in the minors.