Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 158033 times)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #2125: February 22, 2012, 02:37:47 PM »
Sounds like that "ice" beer crap the big breweries were peddling back in the 80s and 90s.

You take that back, Natty Ice kept me and the Sigma Nu bros in a happy spot for many a night back in the late '90s.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2126: February 22, 2012, 02:43:41 PM »
Not St Ides?

You take that back, Natty Ice kept me and the Sigma Nu bros in a happy spot for many a night back in the late '90s.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #2127: February 22, 2012, 02:47:09 PM »
Not St Ides?

That was during my tenure in Richmond when I was "keeping it real".  In undergrad we bought Natty Ice, Beast Ice, and Beast Lite by the palletfull to pass the time in Bleaksburg.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #2128: February 22, 2012, 09:44:24 PM »
[how did this thread fall to the third page?]

From the sublime to the ridiculous: as a public service I gave Bud Light Platinum a go yesterday (when our neighbourhood Giant finally started selling it in six-packs rather than making one spring for a 12).

Those familiar with fellow A-B/InBev product Natural Ice will know what to expect - the flavours (to the extent that these brews have any flavour at all) are indistinguishable. Platinum has the easy drinkability of Natural Ice and a 1/10 of 1 percent higher ABV - 6.0 vs 5.9 - so it should get one trashed right good and proper.

However, it is priced as for premium beer - $7.49 per six-pack at Giant - so basically you're paying $3-4 more for that extra 0.1% ABV and pretty bottle. For just 10 cents more one can pick up a six of St Pauli Girl. (Haven't priced this at Harris Teeter yet; beer prices at Giant tend to be higher than at H-T, often considerably so.)

I've seen it on the shelves at the local Sheetz.  I wish they'd carry something like Pilsner Urquell.  They have Bud/Miller/Coors, including Beast and Busch, Yuengling, Heiniken (:spaz:), Stella Artois (OK but it gets old after a while), Flying Dog Pale Ale, and Sam Adams (plain old Boston Lager and occasionally the seasonal).

I could go for some Guinness at the local Irish place about right now.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #2131: February 23, 2012, 09:14:08 AM »
So Chelsea - do you think Bud did this just to try to charge more or did they feel there is demand for low flavor, higher alcohol ?

Well the demand for 'low flavour' is obviously there (how else does one explain the sales of Bud Light ordinaire?) but the whole thing seems to come across as some sort of quick-money marketing move (remember it was launched during the run-up to the Super Bowl, arguably the premier time of year for new product launches) - it'll probably stay on the market as long as the pretty bottle and 6.0% ABV remain attractive...until people try Natural Ice at half the price and discover that Platinum is effectively the same thing, just packaged more attractively and more upscale. It'll depend on how long that 'status' angle sells.

And there is of course a demand for get-trashed-quick brews - the thing is, that can be done at much less cost, either with Natural Ice or similar cheap brews, or by doing shooters with super-smooth Polish vodka (the off-licence I frequent has fifths of Sobieski and Luksusowa for under $15 each).

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #2132: February 23, 2012, 09:17:40 AM »

Molson Ice (Black Label Ice or just 'Black Ice' in Canada, 5.6% ABV if I recall aright) was good, and Icehouse (5.5%) had its moments (the latter is still available).

An abject failure was the short-lived Coors Artic [sic] Ice - another pretty bottle whose product inside didn't match it (looked and tasted like old wash water).

Offline Nathan

« Reply #2133: February 23, 2012, 05:25:34 PM »
I don't understand why you'd freeze beer and take the ice out to make it stronger instead of just brewing it stronger in the first place :shrug:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2134: February 23, 2012, 06:54:21 PM »
I don't understand why you'd freeze beer and take the ice out to make it stronger instead of just brewing it stronger in the first place :shrug:
It sounds fancy?

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2135: March 07, 2012, 11:34:02 AM »
That's alot of resource effort and cost.  Why not just make an IPA ?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2136: March 07, 2012, 11:42:37 AM »
That's alot of resource effort and cost.  Why not just make an IPA ?

because cheap ingredients and fast turn around time might make it taste like crap

• babble on
« Reply #2137: March 07, 2012, 02:09:27 PM »
Is Spaten Optimator still sold in the US?  I haven't seen it in ages. 

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2138: March 07, 2012, 03:22:35 PM »

Pretty sure I've seen it. Couldn't tell you where but at least I can give you hope

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #2139: March 07, 2012, 03:49:25 PM »

They might have it at Metro Liquors, big selection there.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #2140: March 07, 2012, 06:09:05 PM »

They still sell it at the liquor store by Cactus Flats that Tom thinks is my hangout :lol:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2141: March 07, 2012, 06:50:34 PM »
They still sell it at the liquor store by Cactus Flats that Tom thinks is my hangout :lol:

Road trip! 

Wait a minute, last time I got hammered and was driven down Route 15, almost didn't make it to WNFF.  Maybe we can find a driver.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #2142: March 07, 2012, 06:56:01 PM »
Road trip! 

Wait a minute, last time I got hammered and was driven down Route 15, almost didn't make it to WNFF.  Maybe we can find a driver.

:nono: Don't even think about asking me!

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #2143: March 07, 2012, 11:11:24 PM »
It's Beer Madness with the Washington Post!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/beer-madness?hpid=z9

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2144: March 07, 2012, 11:25:52 PM »

Got it at this little German restaurant in Edgewater, MD.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2145: March 08, 2012, 11:25:10 AM »
It's not unique, but red hook long hammer ipa has to rank high on the value chart. Pretty solid no frills ipa. Doesnt make your mouth sticky. Can be had at harris teeter for 6.99 for six, maybe even 12.99 for twelve. I think my days of buying unknown six packs at $9 or $10  just for the sake of trying something new are going to be limited. This bar near me has it at $4 for not quite a pint or $12 for a pitcher

• babble on
« Reply #2146: March 08, 2012, 12:03:10 PM »
Long Hammer is also found in abundance at sports events, a big plus.  It's even closer to my Caps seats than the piss light taps; a bit farther from my Nats seats, but I like walking around during ballgames anyways.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2147: March 08, 2012, 02:09:42 PM »
That's because it's a Budweiser product

Long Hammer is also found in abundance at sports events, a big plus.  It's even closer to my Caps seats than the piss light taps; a bit farther from my Nats seats, but I like walking around during ballgames anyways.

• babble on
« Reply #2148: March 08, 2012, 02:12:11 PM »
So Belgian

That's because it's a Budweiser product

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2149: March 08, 2012, 02:15:27 PM »
Huh ?  It might have an angstromth of 1oz of begium, but it's reall a Budweiser product.  So it's available

So Belgian