Author Topic: Hardware/OS Geek Thread  (Read 55075 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Hardware/OS Geek Thread
« Reply #750: February 18, 2010, 11:26:27 AM »
Renamed the thread to more accurately reflect actual content.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #751: March 09, 2010, 09:31:07 PM »
So what would you do if you ordered a shiny new Core i7-920 for your new mega rig and this was in the box:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10465617-64.html

Offline The Chief

« Reply #752: March 09, 2010, 09:34:39 PM »
Unfortunate, but Newegg took care of their customers like they always do.

I've been hearing about this crap for days, and the sheer ignorance of people who have an axe to grind with Newegg (because of other, unrelated matters) makes my blood boil.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #753: March 09, 2010, 09:38:01 PM »
Apparently there were 300 fakes out of a shipment of 2000 from a distributor called "IPEX"

Newegg does take care of their customers.  I wonder if they made them ship the fakes back or if they could keep them.  I'd want to keep it just as a cool story piece.

At first I thought it was fake CPUs as in someone took out the i7 and threw in a C2D and shipped it back, but it looks like they were just completely fake plastic molds of the parts.  Crazy.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #754: March 09, 2010, 09:38:54 PM »
Unfortunate, but Newegg took care of their customers like they always do.

I've been hearing about this crap for days, and the sheer ignorance of people who have an axe to grind with Newegg (because of other, unrelated matters) makes my blood boil.
I have nothing against Newegg, I love them, and I wasn't trying to blame them for the situation.  I just thought it was a weird thing and something to share to my fellow geeks on WNFF if they hadn't yet heard the story.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #755: March 09, 2010, 09:41:01 PM »
I have nothing against Newegg, I love them, and I wasn't trying to blame them for the situation.  I just thought it was a weird thing and something to share to my fellow geeks on WNFF if they hadn't yet heard the story.

Nah I know you weren't.  I won't name names, but I have a particular site in mind.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #756: March 09, 2010, 10:37:32 PM »
So what would you do if you ordered a shiny new Core i7-920 for your new mega rig and this was in the box:

(Image removed from quote.)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10465617-64.html

There was an episode of the Sarah Connor Chronicles where that happened :lol:

Newegg is still the industry leader IMO.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #757: March 09, 2010, 11:31:41 PM »
blah.

Verizon sent my dsl modem. i got it today, but my "Service Ready" date isn't until the 16th.

something ain't right, because my Modem and stuff was marked down as being shipped YESTERDAY.  and I got it today. UPS Ground. which usually takes like 2-3 days. not overnight.

I ordered my service on like thursday or friday of last week.

so I'm befuddled. according to their records online, I got overnight UPS Ground delivery, but my internet is not supposed to be on for another like 10 days.

what are the chances that this is just flat out wrong, and my internet is on NOW. 

I am warned not to install my modem before the "service ready date", what happens if I DO install it and my service is not activated?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #758: March 09, 2010, 11:37:55 PM »
blah.

Verizon sent my dsl modem. i got it today, but my "Service Ready" date isn't until the 16th.

something ain't right, because my Modem and stuff was marked down as being shipped YESTERDAY.  and I got it today. UPS Ground. which usually takes like 2-3 days. not overnight.

I ordered my service on like thursday or friday of last week.

so I'm befuddled. according to their records online, I got overnight UPS Ground delivery, but my internet is not supposed to be on for another like 10 days.

what are the chances that this is just flat out wrong, and my internet is on NOW. 

I am warned not to install my modem before the "service ready date", what happens if I DO install it and my service is not activated?

Ground shipping from Ohio, even southern New England can take one day. We are ordering all kinds of baby crap right now, so I know all about shipping.

Is customer service not working with you? They might be able to move your install if you ask nicely. If they give you the runaround, PM me, I have some tricks.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #759: March 09, 2010, 11:43:00 PM »
i haven't called customer service yet, gonna call em tomorrow. it's no big deal at 1145 at night.

I got my modem all set up, configured and ready to go. just need them to flip the switch on their end, for the most part.

then I'm done borrowing wifi. *grin*

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #760: March 10, 2010, 11:58:28 AM »

then I'm done borrowing wifi. *grin*

Haha I love doing that :nono: :whip:

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #761: March 10, 2010, 01:29:25 PM »
had a nice little chat with the indian guys at verizon. they told me that turning my service on early "wasnt possible". so I asked to speak with a manager.
manager told me the same thing. I told him that I could send all my equipment back, and they would receive it BEFORE my "service ready date". manager said he would call the installation people and "see if they could expedite my activation" after feeding me some mumbojumbo about having to run lines to my house.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #762: March 10, 2010, 01:30:29 PM »
I am relatively sure that my service will be on today or tomorrow.

Offline blue911

« Reply #763: March 10, 2010, 01:40:27 PM »
had a nice little chat with the indian guys at verizon. they told me that turning my service on early "wasnt possible". so I asked to speak with a manager.
manager told me the same thing. I told him that I could send all my equipment back, and they would receive it BEFORE my "service ready date". manager said he would call the installation people and "see if they could expedite my activation" after feeding me some mumbojumbo about having to run lines to my house.

DSL uses your existing phone line. What kind of horsecrap are they trying to feed you?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #764: March 10, 2010, 02:09:53 PM »
DSL uses your existing phone line. What kind of horsecrap are they trying to feed you?

When I got Verizon DSL a couple of years ago, there was an effective date of the service, you couldn't just activate it when you got the stuff.  That being said, I was able to activate it a few days before the date they specified.  There must be some technical thing they have to do on their side first.

Offline blue911

« Reply #765: March 10, 2010, 02:12:43 PM »
When I got Verizon DSL a couple of years ago, there was an effective date of the service, you couldn't just activate it when you got the stuff.  That being said, I was able to activate it a few days before the date they specified.  There must be some technical thing they have to do on their side first.

Set up billing would be my guess.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #766: March 10, 2010, 02:18:03 PM »
they just have to send someone to flip the data switch in the onsite switchboard. I will explain when I get my laptop set up. just got home from a job interview.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #767: March 10, 2010, 02:28:58 PM »
i dunno how it works in House neighborhoods, but in apartment complexes, somewhere in the complex, there is a switchboard, with connections for every apartment that is wired for verizon phone service.

the verizon tech comes out, and activates your service through that central switchboard. there is really no reason for the verizon guy to have to come to your house, except for extreme problem cases.

oh, and apparently nowadays your username and password for the DSL service (meaning for your modem to connect to the verizon internet, not your verizon log-in on your computer)are automatically generated.

the indian manager guy on the phone tried to tell me that a verizon tech would have to come to my house to activate my internet, which is a load of crap.

i've already got an IP address in my modem lol. verizon just needs to flip the switch, and give me my username/password so i can use my own internet. shouldn't take 2 weeks to do this. i'm gonna call them back after i pick my daughter up from the bus, indian manager guy said he'd call me back in 15-20 minutes. that was an hour ago.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #768: March 10, 2010, 02:39:37 PM »
Man, I don't recall this much fuss when I went to Verizon DSL. I had to wait a few days after my equipment was delivered, but it went quickly. A tech did have to come out when I switched to FIOS. I have new equipment, and he just said to keep my old DSL router.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #769: March 10, 2010, 02:58:01 PM »
they are starting to piss me off.  the script reading is annoying.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #770: March 10, 2010, 03:09:08 PM »
finally.

they said my internet will be up by close of business tomorrow.

which means it could even possibly be up tonight.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #771: March 10, 2010, 03:57:57 PM »
finally.

they said my internet will be up by close of business tomorrow.

which means it could even possibly be up tonight.

Verizon has figured out what Comcast has not. There's no monopoly anymore, and they actually have to try to retain customers. I had a nuclear meltdown fight with them that ended with me happy as a clam, and they have a 1 year contract with a customer that won't be switching anytime soon.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #772: March 10, 2010, 04:19:12 PM »
Verizon has figured out what Comcast has not. There's no monopoly anymore, and they actually have to try to retain customers. I had a nuclear meltdown fight with them that ended with me happy as a clam, and they have a 1 year contract with a customer that won't be switching anytime soon.

The unfortunate part is that comcast still has a monopoly over large swaths of this area. I used to have verizon dsl- my current appartment is comcast only as are several houses I've looked at recently.

Offline blue911

« Reply #773: March 10, 2010, 04:34:53 PM »
I haven't had many problems with DSL. Verizon does a terrible job of solving problems and has closed problem tickets because the problem was intermitent. No crap, I told you it was intermitent, I don't want intermitent service and if I did I'd select the intermitent service plan. I'm probably going switch to Concast (Ugh) once they go digital (I'll no longer be able to steal Cable TV).  FiOS won't be available until Satan needs mittens.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #774: March 10, 2010, 08:02:07 PM »
Teach yourself C++ in 21 days :lol: