Author Topic: Nats and the 2012 Non-Waiver Trade deadline watch  (Read 88092 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
lol, no we're not. If we were playing for this season, we wouldn't be talking about shutting Strasburg down.

We're playing for the next ten years.

:roll:

Offline hammondsnats

Span/Liriano

Offline DPMOmaha

I am shocked by how advanced Bradley is.

Last time I checked, he had more walks than strikeouts.

Wasn't he still on the board when we took Meyer?  I watched him dominate the CWS in 2010 and then come back from injury for the CWS and dominate it again.  As great as I think Meyer can be one day, I really wish they would have taken JBJ...

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
:roll:

Whatever. Rizzo has said this time and time again. He didn't build this team for a one and done run. He wants the Nats to be a dynasty. To contend for years.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
lol, no we're not. If we were playing for this season, we wouldn't be talking about shutting Strasburg down.

We're playing for the next ten years.

Yeah, because Gio, Zimm, EJax and company can't possibly get it done. I'd love to see Strasburg be able to finish the year out and post season as well, but even with out him, this is still the best rotation we've ever had and is good enough to win a lot of games.

Offline Slateman

Yeah, because Gio, Zimm, EJax and company can't possibly get it done. I'd love to see Strasburg be able to finish the year out and post season as well, but even with out him, this is still the best rotation we've ever had and is good enough to win a lot of games.

I'm not saying they can't. I'm just saying if Rizzo were all in this year, Strasburg would go all season. The fact that Rizzo is adament about shutting Strasburg down tells me that he is focused on the future, instead of right now.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I'm not saying they can't. I'm just saying if Rizzo were all in this year, Strasburg would go all season. The fact that Rizzo is adament about shutting Strasburg down tells me that he is focused on the future, instead of right now.

There's a difference between playing to win now and potentially sacrificing one of the best pitchers in baseball for a one year run. There has to be a balance between win now and win later. We've got a damn good staff and a pretty damn good pen. I worry more about messing with the teams chemistry than I do adding one bat or something.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
There's a difference between playing to win now and potentially sacrificing one of the best pitchers in baseball for a one year run. There has to be a balance between win now and win later. We've got a damn good staff and a pretty damn good pen. I worry more about messing with the teams chemistry than I do adding one bat or something.

Stop.  Making. Sense.

Don't you know that everything is binary?  Either you're throwing this year away, or you're all-in.  Can't possibly try to win both now AND later.  And any decision to think long-term angers Herm Edwards.  And you don't want an angry Herm.

Offline Hogie

We can win the World Series even without Strasburg

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Stop.  Making. Sense.

Don't you know that everything is binary?  Either you're throwing this year away, or you're all-in.  Can't possibly try to win both now AND later.  And any decision to think long-term angers Herm Edwards.  And you don't want an angry Herm.

It seems pretty binary from the other side that if Strasburg does pitch past his innings limit this year, he's 1000000% going to blow out his arm.

Funny how certainties run from both camps... but only one is called on it.

Offline zoom

is this a bad thing? 

Offline nobleisthyname

It seems pretty binary from the other side that if Strasburg does pitch past his innings limit this year, he's 1000000% going to blow out his arm.

That's because we're not talking about 10-20 innings past his limit, we're talking 40-80 innings past his limit. That IS a recipe for disaster.

Offline houston-nat

I don't know about that, but we can definitely get to the NLCS without Strasburg and if the opponent's kinda sucky we can go farther yet.

Offline HalfSmokes

and if you put the Astros in the playoffs, they could too- a hot bat or too, a couple of pitchibg performanced noone saw comming... Having Stras does increase the probability though

Offline Slateman

Then we don't need him and should trade him :lol:

Offline Kevrock

Who has said that he will certainly, 1000000%  blow out his arm?

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude

Not from me, Linty, but good troll nonetheless.  I've said all along that there are no uncertainties here.  It's just a matter of how much risk you want to take vs how much you think this is a now-or-never chance this year.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

That seems to be the prevailing opinion of the majority that don't want him to pitch into the 200 innings or higher category.

Offline Kevrock

Actually, I kinda did:

I think with the combination of TJ and the fact that he has never been stretched out it would be a mistake to try and pitch him 200 innings this year. TJ + Never having pitched a full professional season + whatever caused his injury in the first place + suddenly stretching him out to 200+ innings = another injury, be it immediately or next season or in the future.

If this was the end of our competition window instead of the start, maybe I could stretch my imagination to believe that the better business decision would be to stretch him out and take our shot this year.

But I don't actually think it is a certainty. Just a big, big risk.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
That's not the point.  If there is the slightest chance more innings could do harm, then don't do it

Does anyone remember Mark Fidrych, known as the Bird ?  He wasn't given the best medical advice and hurt his shoulder.  His career was short-lived.

Offline Slateman

That seems to be the prevailing opinion of the majority that don't want him to pitch into the 200 innings or higher category.

Given that doctors are recommending this course of action, as well as common sense, it seems wise. There is no reason to risk Strasburg

It isn't JUST him coming off TJS. It's the fact that, quite frankly, his arm has not built up the strength to throw that many innings. He's never thrown this many innings before in his career. Combine that with TJS and the fact that these innings are far more stressful than any innings he's thrown before and it's pretty obvious that shutting him down is the best thing for his career.

Offline HalfSmokes

That's not the point.  If there is the slightest chance more innings could do harm, then don't do it

Does anyone remember Mark Fidrych, known as the Bird ?  He wasn't given the best medical advice and hurt his shoulder.  His career was short-lived.

There is more than a slight chance that pitching a single inning can hurt any pitcher's arm

Offline Mattionals

My opinion is, just like how we saw JZimm last year start to slow down towards the 160 limit, we will see Stras do it as well.  I have a feeling that somewhere around the upper 140 innings or so, we start to see Stras just get really tired and not have the break or life and the velocity may drop a bit.  I know Mark Lerner said the team doesn't want a rental, but honestly that is the best thing to get for this year's team. 

Answer -> Ryan Dempster.

Although I'm not his biggest fan and think we could use a better catcher, I think we just stick with Flores until the offseason, then dump him since I doubt we offer him arbitration.

As an aside, I'm trying not to say "we" as in the team, but "we" as in the fans/fanbase.  I don't want to sound like I actually go out on the field and help contribute!

Offline sportsfan882

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm
How about Justin Upton to the Nationals for Anthony Rendon, Alex Meyer and Michael Morse? then Nats have RZim, Harper, Upton for nxt 5yrs?

No thanks